Raw carbon. clear coat needed?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mathias720

by mathias720

Hello i am thinking about doing a Raw carbon finish on my sram red crankset as i am running shimano for the rest of the parts.
do you have to clearcoat it or can you let the surface be raw with no finish?
it would be alot easier as i can do the soda blasting myself but cant paint it, and the weight of the clearcoat off-course?

what will happen if you let it stay Raw? maybe something with the UV

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

The resin will react with UV and turn yellow

Either clear coat (weight is like non existent) or use UV protective wax (this had to be done in intervals to maintain protection)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

matcav

by matcav

would it have just a cosmetic effect (yellow-ish reflex) or would it comes also with structural / safety issues?

Rishie

by Rishie

I've done this a few years ago. Aerospace 303 to protect seems to do the job with no yellowing.

Maddie

by Maddie

I also did this years ago without any protection on the surface at all. No yellowing, and my bikes see a lot of sun. Sram seems to be using UV resistant resin

mathias720

by mathias720

seems like i just gotta go do it and dont paint it.
how is the aerospace 303, does it change the surface any way ?

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

I too ran a raw carbon fork for years and used the 303 on it once a week. Looked beautiful to me and did not yellow.

PyotrGhimme

by PyotrGhimme

It depends on the type of lesin used.
Generally speaking, prolonged exposure to UV do make mechanical properties of CFRP
“Deteriorate”. As far as I know, decades ago, there’s a huge jumbo air accident with numerous casualties . It was caused due to the uv induced deterioration of CFRP parts used in vertical stabilizer.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

PyotrGhimme wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:21 pm
Generally speaking, prolonged exposure to UV do make mechanical properties of CFRP
“Deteriorate”. As far as I know, decades ago, there’s a huge jumbo air accident with numerous casualties . It was caused due to the uv induced deterioration of CFRP parts used in vertical stabilizer.
I guess UV detoriation in aircraft components would in general be more frequent given their operating altitude vs. cyclists.

Rishie

by Rishie

mathias720 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:12 pm
seems like i just gotta go do it and dont paint it.
how is the aerospace 303, does it change the surface any way ?
Nope. It's just a protective coating. Goes in easy and can be taken off similarly.

Pyotrump

by Pyotrump

PyotrGhimme wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:21 pm

I have to edit my statement haha. That accident I mentioned is about American Airlines Flight 587.
this was caused by overuse of vertical stabiliser not by the UV-damage to composite. However it is still true that UV can damage CFRP. :oops:

Maddie

by Maddie

Pyotrump wrote:However it is still true that UV can damage CFRP. :oops:
Please show some examples from 2010 or later.

This aerospace303 stuff needs to be reapplied every 30 days. Come on guys, who does that? While the application of this product doesn't hurt, I much rather believe that the resins themselves are already uv stable. I build some carbon parts and even the resins I use are uv stable.

Pyotrump

by Pyotrump

Maddie wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:52 am
Pyotrump wrote:However it is still true that UV can damage CFRP. :oops:
Please show some examples from 2010 or later.

This aerospace303 stuff needs to be reapplied every 30 days. Come on guys, who does that? While the application of this product doesn't hurt, I much rather believe that the resins themselves are already uv stable. I build some carbon parts and even the resins I use are uv stable.

Khaleel, Salah Mahdi, Tim Hilditch, Riyadh Al-Ameri, and Bernard Rolfe. “Influence of Ultraviolet Radiation on the Morphological and Mechanical Properties of Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Polymers.” SAE International Journal of Materials and Manufacturing 13, no. 3 (2020): 229–40. https://www.jstor.org/stable/27033973.

Zhao, Jun, Gaochuang Cai, Lu Cui, Amir Si Larbi, and Konstantinos Daniel Tsavdaridis. 2017. "Deterioration of Basic Properties of the Materials in FRP-Strengthening RC Structures under Ultraviolet Exposure" Polymers 9, no. 9: 402. https://doi.org/10.3390/polym9090402

Various studies show that the ultimate tensile strength and modulus of FRP(CFRP, GFRP, etc,.) sheets decrease with UV exposure time.

+ I want to point out there're some UV resistant epoxies nowadays.
++ UV can damage the polymers but the damage is rather slow and kinda natural phenomenon.

Monticola

by Monticola

Raoul Luescher recommends to seal cut (not sure if it's applicable to sanded) carbon parts because the resin is hydrophilic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieeCqlQy5sY

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

mathias720 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:36 am
and the weight of the clearcoat off-course?
When a paint shop stripped my frame, I asked them to use the very minimum amount of clearcoat. They ended up using less than 10 milliliters for the whole frameset.