Recommended Hard Case for Air Travel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cannoli

by Cannoli

I'm looking for some real-world recommendations for a hard case for air travel. I have currently have the Scicon Aerocomfort 3.0 case, and experienced a cracked seat stay on one of my bikes while traveling with United Airlines. I even had extra 3" foam padding throughout, but the damage was too severe to salvage and not covered by the airline (because it was a soft case per their representative). While I still want to be able to travel with my bike, I want to upgrade to a hard case with better protection. What are the recommendations from the collective hive mind?
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Cannoli wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:33 am
I'm looking for some real-world recommendations for a hard case for air travel. I have currently have the Scicon Aerocomfort 3.0 case, and experienced a cracked seat stay on one of my bikes while traveling with United Airlines. I even had extra 3" foam padding throughout, but the damage was too severe to salvage and not covered by the airline (because it was a soft case per their representative). While I still want to be able to travel with my bike, I want to upgrade to a hard case with better protection. What are the recommendations from the collective hive mind?
Yeah that's exactly the issue with a soft case....airline will not cover damage. I have both the Trico Ironcase and the Scicon Aerotech. The iron case is perfect for mailing via ups etc and the Scicon for flying since it is extremely intuitive for TSA. I have had zero issues with with except the iron case is often not closed properly by tsa.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cannoli

by Cannoli

rollinslow wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:37 am
Cannoli wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:33 am
Yeah that's exactly the issue with a soft case....airline will not cover damage. I have both the Trico Ironcase and the Scicon Aerotech. The iron case is perfect for mailing via ups etc and the Scicon for flying since it is extremely intuitive for TSA. I have had zero issues with with except the iron case is often not closed properly by tsa.
Thank you for the feedback. How does the Aerotech work with integrated bars? The video for the Ironcase shows the bars being removed from the fork, which isn't easy with cable integration.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

PremierBike and Bikebox Alan Easyfit are both great options that don't require handlebar removal.

Otherwise standard Alan or VeloVault are both good. I have a Velovault and like how many straps it has. The bike doesn't move in the case at all.

BRyder

by BRyder

I have a Scicon hard case, unfortunately it cracked in 2 places on the bottom after the second use.
Unfortunately the airline wouldn't cover it, nor would scicon.

It cracked through the rivits in the hinges. I've found others on the net whose boxes have cracked in the same spots.

VvM

by VvM

I have a Scicon Aerotech Evolution X TSA. Used it a few times and very happy with it. Using additional large blocks of foam inside that I've cut for additional support/protection around the chainrings/BB. The bike "hangs" in the box, so these foams block provide support in case one of the straps loosens. Those blocks aren't required at all but just gives me extra level of comfort.
As with all hard cases, it's heavier so take that into consideration with your luggage allowance.
Packing on the bike is pretty easy and depending on your size of bike and bars you might be able to get away without the need to detach your handlebars; for integrated bars that's a different story but travelling with integrated bars is a PITA.
Instructions say I didn't need to detach my rear derailleur but I did anyway; a 20 second job so why not.

I've had a mate who had a Scicon hardcase that cracked (as mentioned here before). He contacted Scicon and got a replacement case in 2 weeks.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

Thank you all for the input. Very helpful indeed.

Anyone ever heard of this brand? Seems overkill but after replacing an Aeroad CFR frame, I'm a bit nervous to go with anything lightweight.

https://buxumbox.com/

jadedaid

by jadedaid

I have a buxumbox tourmalet h2 and very happy with it. I got it precisely because it's overkill, if an airline destroys that then they don't have a leg to stand on. The ventoux I think should be able to handle even integrated bars. In mine I take off the seatpost, pedals and handlebars. I've yet to fly with the Tarmac but will see if I have enough slack in the brake hoses.

Shipping to the US saves you UK VAT and I wasn't charged any import duties, but YMMV.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

jadedaid wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:05 pm
I have a buxumbox tourmalet h2 and very happy with it. I got it precisely because it's overkill, if an airline destroys that then they don't have a leg to stand on. The ventoux I think should be able to handle even integrated bars. In mine I take off the seatpost, pedals and handlebars. I've yet to fly with the Tarmac but will see if I have enough slack in the brake hoses.

Shipping to the US saves you UK VAT and I wasn't charged any import duties, but YMMV.
Excellent to hear! Yeah, I think this is the box for me. It's the only one my wife is willing to let me ship her bike in after the damage to her bike in the soft bag.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

As far as hard cases, I have both a Buxumbox and Bike Box Alan.

The Alan is much smaller and by virtue "more portable". But it has an internal crush bar and the paranoia in me sometimes worries about the highly unlikely scenario where American TSA "spins" the wheel and then tries to close the box right into my spokes.

Again, highly unlikely. But TSA has destroyed my bike before from careless repacking because they're rushed, can't possibly be expected to know all the ins-and-outs of a bike box, and generally don't care if your equipment gets damaged due to their recklessness. I have seen Alan owners print out custom instructions on the proper way to unpack/repack the BikeBoxAlan with explicit warning to NOT have the crush bar intersect with the spokes of the wheels. But sometimes I think the IQ of TSA is lower than my FTP. So there is that.

Buxumbox is much more expensive and more cumbersome.... but the crush-bar paranoia goes away and it's "easy" to work on the bike inside the box with how it is braced propped up. Anyway good luck on your decision.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

maxim809 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:52 am
But sometimes I think the IQ of TSA is lower than my FTP.
Sounds more like an insult to your FTP than their intelligence :lol:

Cannoli

by Cannoli

I just picked up the Buxumbox Ventoux Road travel box from their web site and will report back when it arrives. I will say that their pre-sales customer service is absolutely outstanding! I was chatting with Ed for some time to be sure it would work with a bike with integrated cables. Since the Ventoux doesn't require the bars to be removed, it turned out to be the box that I needed.

While the box cost a bit more than others, it seems like it will be airline proof, which is what I'm looking for.

Stay tuned!

simbikotic

by simbikotic

Cannoli wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:54 pm
I just picked up the Buxumbox Ventoux Road travel box from their web site and will report back when it arrives. I will say that their pre-sales customer service is absolutely outstanding! I was chatting with Ed for some time to be sure it would work with a bike with integrated cables. Since the Ventoux doesn't require the bars to be removed, it turned out to be the box that I needed.

While the box cost a bit more than others, it seems like it will be airline proof, which is what I'm looking for.

Stay tuned!
@cannoli - how did you get on with your buxumbox ventoux? I am interested in one of these. Interested to know what you did for onward travel. e.g. could you get it in an Uber?

Maddie

by Maddie

I have a Buxumbox Ventoux and it makes travels hasslefree. Packing the bike takes 5 minutes and it's safe. Small suvs or hatckbacks like a Golf where you can tilt the back seats are fine. Saloons will probably not work.

da123

by da123

simbikotic wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:02 am
Cannoli wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:54 pm

Stay tuned!
@cannoli - how did you get on with your buxumbox ventoux? I am interested in one of these. Interested to know what you did for onward travel. e.g. could you get it in an Uber?
If it's in your budget, the Ventoux is a no brainer IME. I've had mine for years and it takes the stress out of travel. It's dimensions do bear some thinking about as far as onward travel goes though. If you can't fold the seats, you're probably stuffed unless you have something with sufficient height (big SUV / van based (Berlingo etc.). It goes easily in the back of our EV6 with the seats down, but if we're travelling with the kids, it goes on the roof rack.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com