Best aero handlebar + clip-on TT combo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robeambro

by robeambro

Hi all,

As I get closer to building a N=1 bike I am looking for a set of:

- carbon handlebars that would be aero, comfortable, narrow (38cm or narrower) and compatible with clip-ons. if they had some flare, 10/10. I was eyeing the Prime Primavera but no flare, so maybe there's something else out there without splurging for Enve SES AR..

- suitable clip-ons that would be relatively comfortable, adjustable and if they could be less aero than a brick that would be amazing (they may mostly be used in either some endurance gravel events and unlikely bikepacking trips)

Hit me up with suggestions and if you have pics of your setup that would be amazing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

But what bars can you clip on to enve AR

The normal enve aero yes but AR I’m not aware of any clip ones
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

C36

by C36

My favorite: Vision 4d flat have the slickest setup since you screw the extension directly into the bar.

Canyon aerocockpit h36
With a big ? Around the length/width combo that are quite limited

viewtopic.php?t=147311

You had the “ugly” venge bar that had an integrated extension

Giant had something for their contact SLR bars

Haero have their aerobar with very integrated extension (but no flare and little adjustment)… but look from outter space Image

Synchros has also something that attach to the stem.

talentdeficient

by talentdeficient

I bought 3T aeronova bars for that very purpose, as you can get normal clip on TT extensions on it but the rest of the bar is reasonably aero.

I find those bars very comfortable, especially for long days out as there's lots of different hand positions - the bulge behind the hoods is a little weird to look at but is a winner. I find you can also hook your forearms into them well if you feel like breaking the law with some puppy paw action.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

C36 wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:10 pm
My favorite: Vision 4d flat have the slickest setup since you screw the extension directly into the bar.

Canyon aerocockpit h36
With a big ? Around the length/width combo that are quite limited

viewtopic.php?t=147311

You had the “ugly” venge bar that had an integrated extension

Giant had something for their contact SLR bars

Haero have their aerobar with very integrated extension (but no flare and little adjustment)… but look from outter space Image

Synchros has also something that attach to the stem.
not only that you can get the Vision TFE's to attach to those too. I have the TFE's on my TT bike
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Chlorophyll15

by Chlorophyll15

Personally, I think adjustability of the clip-on aero bars is more important than how aero/sleek the whole setup looks, because sustainability/comfort in the aero position = speed. For this reason, I'm not a fan of integrated clip-on bars on handlebars, as even the most adjustable of them (Vision, Enve) don't allow you to adjust the aero bar tilt independant of the handlebar.

Based on your criteria, I'd suggest having a look at the PRO Vibe Aero Alloy Pursuit with standard round clip-ons with good adjustability (Profile Design, Zipp Vuka, etc). The Pursuit bars have a 36cm wide option and it does flare in the drops by 4cm. You'd need to run a 20-30mm shorter stem to conserve overall saddle-to-hood reach due to the longer reach of the Pursuit bars, but I don't see that as a bad thing as this would also place the stem clamp, and hence the clip-on aero bars closer to you. One of the main challenges with running clip-on aero bars in a standard road setup (with the pelvis further behind the BB compared to a TT setup) is the reach of the elbow pads. If you need the elbow pads further back still there's the Profile Design Neosonic bracket that offsets the pads approx. 2cm behind the centerline of the handlebar. Riser spacers for PD and Zipp are also readily available online if you need the pads elevated. The only real downside I can think of for this setup is that the internal routing on PRO handlebars have been a pain for those with experience installing them.

EDIT: I also realize that the Pursuits are not carbon

robeambro

by robeambro

Thanks all for the answers.

I was aware of the Metron 4D, it's just a bit pricey (the whole setup) and the looks are not to my taste. It's definitely a good product though.

I'll have a look at the other options mentioned - probably not the Pursuit as they're alloy and I don't see myself giving up the comfort of a carbon handlebar - the clip ons would potentially be used a handful of times a year so not worth sacrificing daily comfort for them.

renoracing

by renoracing

I've gone through this exact checklist a few times, and will share where I've landed...
Earlier this year I was building up the Aethos for a 1,500mi ultra and went into the build knowing I'd be running clip-on aerobars. I ended up putting on a set of the Prime Primavera 36cm bars. They worked well but did require a 5mm spacer above the bar, to raise the armrest portion of my Profile Design Subsonic clip-ons, as the section of the handlebar that is round next to the stem, is quite small before it flares out to the aero shape. Obviously I was able to adjust the clip-ons angle independent of the handlebars, which as others mentioned, can be handy. With all that said, I never fully loved the drop portion of the Primavera handlebars. They're very angular, and don't have much length towards the tail end, which I prefer.

Similar process on the Crux, and I ended up using a set of the PRO PLT Ergo Carbon(38cm). I have ran the 36cm version on some road builds happily, and they pair with Shimano di2 levers really well. The 36cm version isn't wide enough to allow for clip-ons, but the 38cm version is essentially identical to the 36cm version, but with 10mm of round real estate added on each side of the them. So don't tick those off your list, although they don't have any flare to them.

An SL7 build was next in the cards, as was a 500mi non-stop ultra. I splurged on the Enve Aero SES Road handlebars, and fell in love with their shape. I'm running the 35cm/40cm version(and have just recently swapped the 37cm/42cm version onto the Crux). I then figured I'd try their matching(expensive) clip-on aerobars. I didn't love the actual armpad carriers of the Enve setup, nor the extensions, but those were easily replaced, with the Profile Designs "Race" pads, and some steep angle extensions that allowed for higher hands. You do lose the angle adjustment with this setup but it worked great for me. I have tracked down some 9º wedges that will work if I wanted to try to angle the arm pad portion.

And the final contribution I can offer you is on the latest build. A Mosaic drop-bar 29er... Again similar thought process in my handlebar selection. I've settled on the 38cm Cervelo AB09 Flared bars, although I don't have any photos of them mounted, I did test fit it all before wrapping the bar tape. There is plenty of room(and strength- used in several bikepacking races by others), for my Profile Design setup to mount. They have a nice aero upper portion, and 16 degrees of flare, as well as easy cable routing underneath. These might be what you're after!

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

How so you like the Ergon pads compared to the stock Profile Design Race pads?

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

renoracing wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:29 am
but those were easily replaced, with the Profile Designs "Race" pads,
I've updated those to the Race+ design - 40mm longer and the cushion tapers from 5mm at the side to 10mm in the centre. Plus the logos are embossed instead of white so you won't have to tape over them.

For the OP - the Cervelo S5 aerobar is the best of the integrated ones - has decent adjustment including tilt. But obviously only goes on the S5.

From the Profile Design perspective there are several bracket options for 31.8 bars
Supersonic - easiest to adjust, most expensive, 60mm stack, 15mm setback (of the wing)
Sonic - lightest and cheapest, 60mm stack, zero setback
Neosonic - in the middle for weight and price, 60mm stack and 25mm setback
Subsonic - quite heavy, but the USP of this one is the 20mm lower stack (15mm setback)

The Neosonic is the one that I designed for road/bikepacking - the extra setback gets the pads under the elbows better
For the majority of drop bar bikes I end up fitting a Neosonic bracket, Ergo+ armrest and 50a extension, with a 30 or 40mm riser. The riser keeps the hip angle reasonable.

Nohands83

by Nohands83

I race TTs in the UK at a decent level so I've spent a significant amount of time on aero bars the last few years, few comments/recommendations from me:

- Get high-sided arm rests, these are significantly better for controlling your bike in aero position. Not sure of your location but UK companies like Aerocoach and Wattshop produce these. The Deda Jet clip ons look pretty interesting as well.

- Be careful of closing your hip angle too much, most people (not all) will lose some power loses in aero position (even on a TT bike with a super steep seat-tube angle) the key is to balance these against aero gains. This issue can be even more pronounced on a road bike due to geo, so the power losses can be even greater. This might not be an issue for you but something to consider

- Arm rests with more stack and less reach are probably better suited to the geo of a road bike (the Venge clip-on is like this for a reason)

- Consider angling your bars and pads upwards, you don't have to go full praying mantis but even a subtle up-turn can help you shrug your shoulders better and will very likely reduce your drag

robeambro

by robeambro

Thanks all, really helpful. I feel like I have much more info. A few questions come to mind:
- a 'spacer' was mentioned to be required for Prime Primavera bars to work - what sort of spacer are we talking about?

Other than this, the PRO PLT Ergo Carbon looked nice until I saw the reach - 68mm is a bit little, as I'd want something longer to easily accommodate for the 'aero hoods' position. The AB09 looks like it may be difficult to find in the UK, but I'll have a look.

To be honest my needs may not be *that* specific re: clip ons. I haven't signed up for any event just yet, and if I do, it may be a couple 200ish km gravel races (so nothing quite like Badlands or similar stuff), and maybe I'll do one bikepacking trip if any - in either case it wouldn't be that bad if I were without clip ons. But it's good to see that Profile Design offer such vast choice!

voicycle

by voicycle

IMG_1375.jpg
The Enve SES AR handlebar isn't full aero as you've got to wrap the tops to hide your hoses (there's an open channel on the underside for them), but it is so incredibly comfortable and confidence-inspiring to use, particularly in the later hours of a long gravel race. I really don't do well with flare-angled shifter hoods and this was one of the very few options that has straight hood clamping sections and THEN a flare (other one being 3T, which are 25 degree flare compared to the ENVE's 12.5, and I hated they way they rode). They won't take clip-ons though so that was a bit off topic except in recommending them for ultra-distance comfort on mixed surfaces.

However, the Specialized Venge/Tarmac clip-ons attach exclusively to the stem, which makes them an option for any handlebar. The stem and clip on set are stupidly expensive and the stem would look funny in a stack of normal round spacers, but the setup should fit on pretty much any bike whether or not you used any of the Spesh integrated cable routing parts.
There's minimal adjustability in the aero bars, but I still find them incredibly comfortable, particularly because you can move your grip and elbows around a bit due to the shape. And the carbon 'wing' elbow pad flexes a bit like a leaf spring so it soaks up a surprising amount of road buzz.

I'm sure it's the kind of thing that's as personal as a saddle choice, so another user may well hate both the bar AND the clip-ons in my setup, but I couldn't be happier. In fact, I like it so much that I've bought another tarmac stem for my Ti bikepacking bike (which currently has alloy bars). I'm not sure yet whether I want another set of enve bars for that bike or if I'd rather give up the flare, save some cash, and put Primavera bars there so I've got the option of using either the Spesh clip-on or my traditional Profile Design ones depending what I'm trying to achieve.

IMG_1395.jpg

- a 'spacer' was mentioned to be required for Prime Primavera bars to work - what sort of spacer are we talking about?
I also wondered about this when reading the thread. I suspect this meant some part of the clip-ons fouled on the 'wing' of the handlebar unless a short riser block was used to lift the arm pad assembly high enough above the bars to allow the desired degree of tilt. If we're setting up for ultra-distance stuff then that seems fair enough as riser blocks are ideal for achieving that sofa-like relaxed position in the clip-ons

robeambro

by robeambro

voicycle wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:42 pm
IMG_1375.jpg

The Enve SES AR handlebar isn't full aero as you've got to wrap the tops to hide your hoses (there's an open channel on the underside for them), but it is so incredibly comfortable and confidence-inspiring to use, particularly in the later hours of a long gravel race. I really don't do well with flare-angled shifter hoods and this was one of the very few options that has straight hood clamping sections and THEN a flare (other one being 3T, which are 25 degree flare compared to the ENVE's 12.5, and I hated they way they rode). They won't take clip-ons though so that was a bit off topic except in recommending them for ultra-distance comfort on mixed surfaces.

However, the Specialized Venge/Tarmac clip-ons attach exclusively to the stem, which makes them an option for any handlebar. The stem and clip on set are stupidly expensive and the stem would look funny in a stack of normal round spacers, but the setup should fit on pretty much any bike whether or not you used any of the Spesh integrated cable routing parts.
There's minimal adjustability in the aero bars, but I still find them incredibly comfortable, particularly because you can move your grip and elbows around a bit due to the shape. And the carbon 'wing' elbow pad flexes a bit like a leaf spring so it soaks up a surprising amount of road buzz.

I'm sure it's the kind of thing that's as personal as a saddle choice, so another user may well hate both the bar AND the clip-ons in my setup, but I couldn't be happier. In fact, I like it so much that I've bought another tarmac stem for my Ti bikepacking bike (which currently has alloy bars). I'm not sure yet whether I want another set of enve bars for that bike or if I'd rather give up the flare, save some cash, and put Primavera bars there so I've got the option of using either the Spesh clip-on or my traditional Profile Design ones depending what I'm trying to achieve.

IMG_1395.jpg

I also wondered about this when reading the thread. I suspect this meant some part of the clip-ons fouled on the 'wing' of the handlebar unless a short riser block was used to lift the arm pad assembly high enough above the bars to allow the desired degree of tilt. If we're setting up for ultra-distance stuff then that seems fair enough as riser blocks are ideal for achieving that sofa-like relaxed position in the clip-ons
Oh hi, we know each other dear mr A. :lol:

Great to hear your feedback as well.
I know that I would love the Enve SES AR as I already have a.. ahem.. AliExpress copy, that I purchased merely to see whether the shape would suit me, but that I ended up keeping cause it was just so nice. To be honest, your setup could be a good idea - one concern that I'd have is that I've heard the Tarmac/Venge stem is rather stiff, which is not something I'd be entirely keen on, to be honest - how did you find it?

voicycle

by voicycle

Haha hi! I wondered if that was you!

My Ribble with the enve bars is almost certainly too small for you (it's a bit too small for me given I sized it based on the stack of my road bike at the time), and I think even the Tarmac I'm building up might be a bit small (it's a 54 and I think you're a 56?) You'd be welcome to take either/both for a spin to get a feel for the kit though.

I also have a spare 120mm Tarmac stem from a fit experiment and the incoming one for the Albannach is 100mm - I don't want to part with either but you could borrow one along with the clip-ons if you want to play about for a few weeks?

As for the stem itself, my take is that in pretty much all situations it feels like a stem. I put it on the Ribble at the same time as switching from alloy to carbon bars, so any extra transfer of road buzz would have been more than compensated by the change in handlebar. Since you bring it up I guess maybe it's torsionally stiffer than a round/oval stem, but I never would have made that observation without a prompt and I can't say how noticeable it would be without a side-by-side comparison.

I've never attempted DMs on this forum but guessing it should be obvious if you shoot me a message. Otherwise I'll check back here soon. Happy hunting!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com