Suggestions for lighter rotors (than my 105s)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cmiller2oh

by cmiller2oh

What is a light replacement (without any functional penalty) for my 250g 105 rotors. Galfer Wave Road Centrelock were suggested on another post. Thanks

matteof93

by matteof93

Rotors are the last place where I would spend money to save weight. You pay that weight saving each time you buy a rotor...I'd spend my money to save weight on a component that has a longer life on the bike (i.e. saddle, seatpost, etc.).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Magnetize6932

by Magnetize6932

Shimano MT-800 rotors are quite light with no loss of function.

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

matteof93 wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:00 pm
Rotors are the last place where I would spend money to save weight. You pay that weight saving each time you buy a rotor...I'd spend my money to save weight on a component that has a longer life on the bike (i.e. saddle, seatpost, etc.).
So you would spend money on something that doesn't need replacing rather than a consumable that does. Great logic :thumbup:
I run Ashima rotors lighter and cheaper than Shimano. They might not shed heat as well as Shimano but they perform well enough for me.

blaugrana

by blaugrana

I have the Galfer Wave (the 6 bolt version, not centerlock, but the design seems to be the same) and they work very well. They don't feel like a compromise made to save weight, to me they work as well as other rotors while just happening to be very light.

Maybe in situations where heat can be a problem (long steep descents and/or very heavy rider) you might run into brake fade earlier, but I haven't experienced it.