Merlin Import Tax

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Hello all

Thinking of importing a UDi2 groupset from Merlin to the US. How much would the duty be if charged at all. Numbers vary on forums and the CBP codes don't help much. Thanks!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

12% for goods valued over $800. A week or so after delivery, the shipping service will send you a bill.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I have noticed that in Canada right around this time, (month of Black Friday) that anything I have coming across the pond from UK or Eu gets stopped at the border with all fees and charges being applied. I think the gov hires more ppl to make sure fees are included with all parcels right into late december.
I dont know what you get on the US side at this time of year for parcels regarding fees but I normally wait until january for across the pond shopping.
Actually Canada has some ok deals on most stuff at this time.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I've been dinged every single time since the change from $200->$800 in 2012.

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

I've read some people get lucky based on how things are labeled, if the package gets checked, etc. I have also read that rates charged vary based on the goods and sometimes they don't. I trust Tobin

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

CAAD8FRED wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:51 am
I've read some people get lucky based on how things are labeled, if the package gets checked, etc. I have also read that rates charged vary based on the goods and sometimes they don't. I trust Tobin
Actually it looks like I got dinged 10% on my Red AXS order if the customs fee is derived from total cost w/shipping.

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:08 am
CAAD8FRED wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:51 am
Actually it looks like I got dinged 10% on my Red AXS order if the customs fee is derived from total cost w/shipping.
The HS codes say things like cycle bike brakes should have no tariff while parts like shifters should. I assume everything is packaged together and the courier defers to using the highest tariff for the value of the entire shipment. Also, some on other forums claim hen shipped with a national service like CanadaPost or USPS (I guess these were options back in the day), tariffs were hit or miss but couriers like UPS seem to always levy the tariff.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Early on I learned never to ship anything to Canada via UPS/Fedex/etc. They have this brokerage system which can levy fees upwards of 30% the value of the item. It doesn't apply to goods sent via postal services.

Vuong05

by Vuong05

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:35 am
Early on I learned never to ship anything to Canada via UPS/Fedex/etc. They have this brokerage system which can levy fees upwards of 30% the value of the item. It doesn't apply to goods sent via postal services.
This, absolutely avoid shipping anything into Canada with UPS/Fedex/DHL, etc... Those carriers will ding you a brokerage fee that is 30-40% of the value of the items...

Just bought some stuff from Merlin into Canada using their Trakpack service, and was dinged 12% by customs, once it arrived here. Value of the products were under $800 FYI...
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

Mackers

by Mackers

$800 is the limit for the US FYI...

satanas

by satanas

And if anyone is thinking of having things sent from the US to Australia - usually prohibitive these days - avoid DHL at all costs. They are expensive, slow, and inefficient, and then charge more on arrival. At least with UPS/FEDEX all the fees are upfront.

DHL ex-Germany = German post office, so totally different, and okay.

Conradsleight

by Conradsleight

I just have everything sent to me sister in Glasgow first 😁

kode54

by kode54

satanas wrote:And if anyone is thinking of having things sent from the US to Australia - usually prohibitive these days - avoid DHL at all costs. They are expensive, slow, and inefficient, and then charge more on arrival. At least with UPS/FEDEX all the fees are upfront.

DHL ex-Germany = German post office, so totally different, and okay.
Not true. I think it all depends. But I had a UPS package from Merlin and was charged another $485 import/duty tax. I also had to pick it up from where they held it hostage.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Never got a customs duty bill in early 2020 when I had perfect timing on an Ultegra Di2 rim brake groupset from them at just $1200.