Castelli Jacket

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
clutchup

by clutchup

Hi, I am looking for a fall/spring jacket for temps between low 40's and high 50's. I can't decide between the Castelli Perfetto ros2 and the Castelli Alpha ros2 light jacket.

Anyone recommendations? I'm leaning perfetto just because but the alpha light could be had for cheaper.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

blaugrana

by blaugrana

Personally I'm not a fan of the Gabba (now renamed the Perfetto) unless there's some chance of light rain. If there is, though, it's really the best tool for the job (unless it's so wet that you go for a proper rain jacket).

But in dry cold, I prefer not to have a membrane at the back for better breathability. I haven't tried the Alpha ROS2 light jacket, but I do have the Transparente, which seems to be a similar jacket that Castelli made a few years ago, and it's really fantastic for this temperature range. You have some wind protection in the most important areas, but still very good breathability.

bobones

by bobones

Got both and prefer the Alpha light as it provides better insulation and is a bit more versatile in terms of temperature range. The new Perfetto/Gabbas have only 2 rear pockets, which is a major drawback for me.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Personally I think the Perfetto is one of the most versatile Jackets available, covering a wide temperature spectrum though it can get a little warm once you get closer to 12 degree Celsius or more. At the other end you can easily extend the temperature range to 0 C with a good merino or thermal base layer. If I had only one jacket it would be the Perfetto.

I can't compare it to the Alpha RoS Light yet. However I have one on order which should arrive in a few days. I expect it to be more suitable above 10 C but I'm not sure if it's the right jacket for your mentioned 4 C lower bound, maybe with a winter base layer.

On a sidenote: Are you really able to get the Alpha Light cheaper than the Perfetto? Until Nov 30th you can get 25% off at castelli-cycling.com with the discount code cstilomb25 - that would be less than 165 EUR for the Perfetto 2. And if you really want to save big you could look for the Perfetto 1 in Castelli's outlet or at various retailers. Here in Germany it can be had for 109 €. You really don't lose all that much functionality compared to version 2, though the fit is tighter on v1.
Last edited by thirdsun on Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

thirdsun

by thirdsun

bobones wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:10 am
The new Perfetto/Gabbas have only 2 rear pockets, which is a major drawback for me.
Not true. The old Perfetto had 2 rear pockets. The new Perfetto and Gabba RoS 2 range has 3 pockets again. See here: https://www.castelli-cycling.com/US/en/ ... 064_52_3XL
  • Vitus Venon Evo

kofsw4

by kofsw4

Have both and agree with @bobones. Find the perfetto doesn't breathe at all, fine if it's actually raining but then I'll usually want a proper rain jacket. The alpha light is much more versatile and can be worn in a much larger range of conditions especially as you can zip/unzip the two layers individually.

bobones

by bobones

thirdsun wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:13 am
bobones wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:10 am
The new Perfetto/Gabbas have only 2 rear pockets, which is a major drawback for me.
Not true. The old Perfetto had 2 rear pockets. The new Perfetto and Gabba RoS 2 range has 3 pockets again. See here: https://www.castelli-cycling.com/US/en/ ... 064_52_3XL
Thanks for pointing that out, but you need to be careful as most of the Gabbas and Perfettos currently on sale are the two-pocket version and not the new Ros 2 range.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Yes, but they are easily distinguishable by appearance and name of the product.

I'm somewhat surprised that most of you consider the Alpha Light to be more versatile. However that makes me more confident about my incoming purchase. I was asking myself if I actually need the Alpha Light considering that I already own a Perfetto v1.
  • Vitus Venon Evo

darrydonds

by darrydonds

Perfetto RoS2 is rated for slightly lower temperature (4c vs 7c), more windproof, less breathable. But the Perfetto has zipped side ventilation openings, which help with breathability. Also, ironically, the Perfetto RoS2 is lighter than the Alpha RoS2 Light -- 302g vs 420g.
Last edited by darrydonds on Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobones

by bobones

thirdsun wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:37 am
Yes, but they are easily distinguishable by appearance and name of the product.
Only if you know that a newer RoS 2 version exists as I had no idea until you mentioned it. I bought the short-sleeved Gabba during the summer and it was disappointed to find it had only 2 pockets.
thirdsun wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:37 am
I'm somewhat surprised that most of you consider the Alpha Light to be more versatile. However that makes me more confident about my incoming purchase. I was asking myself if I actually need the Alpha Light considering that I already own a Perfetto v1.
I am in the west of Scotland where it is frequently wet and cold, and I find the Alpha Light (aka jersey) is better at lower temperatures than the Perfetto, and with the ability to unzip the inner layer, it rarely feels too hot. I would really only pick the Perfetto or long sleeve Gabba for showery, less cold days or with an Idro on top for proper rain. For lower temperatures, I prefer the heavier Alpha Jacket to the Light, but add another base-layer to the Light and it's not far off. I do like the short sleeve Gabba with arm warmers for days that start cold with the potential for showers, but I don't think I'd buy another long sleeve one.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

darrydonds wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:00 am
Also, ironically, the Perfetto RoS2 is lighter than the Alpha RoS2 Light -- 302g vs 420g.
Not that ironic. The Light attribute is justified when compared to the regular Alpha RoS.
  • Vitus Venon Evo

clutchup

by clutchup

I forgot about the Castelli 25% off. The website has some colors of the alpha light on sale at $217.00. The perfetto with 25% off comes in at 209 ish. Anyway I chose the perfetto due to the common theme of " if I could only own one jacket" however seeing the comments I am rethinking my decision as I try not to ride if there's a good chance of rain

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

There are great deals going around on the Perfetto ROS (older version). It is amazing and does me from 5 degrees celsius. You never feel hot or cold in this jacket. People i know who own the alpha always complain about getting hot in it and then are stuck with it because of the bulk, so i guess it would largely depend on your cold tolerance and also temperature fluctiations where you are.

kofsw4

by kofsw4

Bobbyc123 wrote:There are great deals going around on the Perfetto ROS (older version). It is amazing and does me from 5 degrees celsius. You never feel hot or cold in this jacket. People i know who own the alpha always complain about getting hot in it and then are stuck with it because of the bulk, so i guess it would largely depend on your cold tolerance and also temperature fluctiations where you are.
Suspect you're confusing the alpha light with the regular alpha which is super warm and only really wearable when it's < 4 Deg C or so. It's unbeatable in those conditions but the alpha light is much more flexible.

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

kofsw4 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:18 pm
Bobbyc123 wrote:There are great deals going around on the Perfetto ROS (older version). It is amazing and does me from 5 degrees celsius. You never feel hot or cold in this jacket. People i know who own the alpha always complain about getting hot in it and then are stuck with it because of the bulk, so i guess it would largely depend on your cold tolerance and also temperature fluctiations where you are.
Suspect you're confusing the alpha light with the regular alpha which is super warm and only really wearable when it's < 4 Deg C or so. It's unbeatable in those conditions but the alpha light is much more flexible.
Oh potentially. Apologies. Is this just a perfetto with the built in vest? I think that would be too hot over 6 degrees making it not very flexible. Won't be too pleasant having those things flap around and the zipper hitting your thighs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com