Castelli Jacket

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
bobones

by bobones

Bobbyc123 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:27 pm
kofsw4 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:18 pm
Bobbyc123 wrote:There are great deals going around on the Perfetto ROS (older version). It is amazing and does me from 5 degrees celsius. You never feel hot or cold in this jacket. People i know who own the alpha always complain about getting hot in it and then are stuck with it because of the bulk, so i guess it would largely depend on your cold tolerance and also temperature fluctiations where you are.
Suspect you're confusing the alpha light with the regular alpha which is super warm and only really wearable when it's < 4 Deg C or so. It's unbeatable in those conditions but the alpha light is much more flexible.
Oh potentially. Apologies. Is this just a perfetto with the built in vest? I think that would be too hot over 6 degrees making it not very flexible. Won't be too pleasant having those things flap around and the zipper hitting your thighs.
It's not just a Perfetto with a vest: the Alpha Light has a lighter and more breathable panel at the back, and there's no flapping if you undo the inner zip. I find the Perfetto a bit cold if you need to stop and stand around, like when your tubed companions get a puncture!

The heavier Alpha RoS (Jacket) is a different kettle of fish, with Gore Infinium all round and extra insulation at the back and sleeves and a fleecy inner vest. Definitely my favourite winter jacket for really cold days or easier solo rides. Plenty of bargains around for these too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

I agree with ^
The alpha ros is a very warm jacket for deep winter. It gets used only a few times a year in Ireland but my perfetto is the main top for the winter months.

Both awesome but it depends how hot you run and how intensely you ride

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

bobones wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:10 am
Perfetto/Gabbas have only 2 rear pockets, which is a major drawback for me.
Two pockets and a pump sleeve - the most stupid redesign ever.
And in the short sleeve version, the fit has changed. Seems like Castelli is trying to fit fat people. Shorter baggy sleeves, short tail, cheaper materials, etc. The earlier 3 pocket model is perfection - my favorite piece of cool weather kit.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

chorus88

by chorus88

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:25 pm
bobones wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:10 am
Perfetto/Gabbas have only 2 rear pockets, which is a major drawback for me.
Two pockets and a pump sleeve - the most stupid redesign ever.
And in the short sleeve version, the fit has changed. Seems like Castelli is trying to fit fat people. Shorter baggy sleeves, short tail, cheaper materials, etc. The earlier 3 pocket model is perfection - my favorite piece of cool weather kit.
I wear the Perfetto RoS Long Sleeve Jersey (2 pockets) plus Perfetto Vest (2 pockets) together.
I like the LARGER two pocket design. :smartass:
I can stuff the Perfetto Vest into the back pocket (Perfetto RoS LS) & other items.
I'm planning to buy another Castelli Perfetto RoS Vest (2 pockets-AW21) because the new 2022 Perfetto RoS2 Cycling Vest has three smaller pockets!
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

flying

by flying

Bobbyc123 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:03 pm
There are great deals going around on the Perfetto ROS (older version). It is amazing and does me from 5 degrees celsius. You never feel hot or cold in this jacket. People i know who own the alpha always complain about getting hot in it and then are stuck with it because of the bulk, so i guess it would largely depend on your cold tolerance and also temperature fluctiations where you are.
Agree that the older Perfetto Ros was perfect & I own 3

But the new one I see they have made a bit looser which is a shame as I thought their old model fit perfectto :wink:

flying

by flying

chorus88 wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:30 pm

I wear the Perfetto RoS Long Sleeve Jersey (2 pockets) plus Perfetto Vest (2 pockets) together.
I like the LARGER two pocket design. :smartass:
I can stuff the Perfetto Vest into the back pocket (Perfetto RoS LS) & other items.
I'm planning to buy another Castelli Perfetto RoS Vest (2 pockets-AW21) because the new 2022 Perfetto RoS2 Cycling Vest has three smaller pockets!

I agree & always liked the two pockets rather than smaller 3 with full finger gloves
Because in small or medium sizes the three pockets can get kind of narrow.
(My Beta Ros is quite narrow)
The pump sleeve I never really used since switching to a handlebar bag :thumbup:

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

just got a Alpha RoS2 light based on this thread.. I dont like to be hot, but these 30's get to me. I know they range it in the low 40's but I figure with a solid base layer Im good.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

flying wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:57 pm
I agree & always liked the two pockets rather than smaller 3 with full finger gloves
Because in small or medium sizes the three pockets can get kind of narrow.
(My Beta Ros is quite narrow)
That's a legit concern. Smaller sizes really get robbed of pocket space with some brands. I am XL in older Castelli so never had an issue. MAAP does a good job of putting full size pockets on small sizes FYI. Only brand my tiny wife will tolerate when it comes to pockets.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

slashy

by slashy

I have the first gen perfetto Ros (3 pockets).
As you know what you need to wear is highly depending on the person, on the type of ride you do (LSD, intervals, etc..).
regardless of that I really wear my perfetto a lot in winter (Belgium / between 4-12 degrees / alpha jacket if below ) and the vent zips are a killer feature (especially when doing long rides starting out cold and later in the ride temps rise and/or intervals/climbs get done). those vents avoid me having to put a vest on to start.

steveadore

by steveadore

How does the sizing of the Perfetto RoS 2 (3 pockets, current model) compare with the predecessor RoS (2 pockets) exactly? I understand the latter is a bit tighter fit, but is there a full size difference between these two? I find the RoS 2 in size M just a little bit too baggy in the chest (94 cm chest circumference) and a bit too long, both in the body and the arms. On the other hand, the short-sleeve Perfetto Ros 2 Wind Jersey fits pretty much perfectly. So if I were to choose my size in the older RoS (2 pockets) on sale, would I be safe with size M or should I size up to L. I wear M in Castelli in general and prefer a snug fit (only one base layer most of the time)

calleking

by calleking

I'm using the Alpha RoS 2 here in Sweden and it's warm enough for -20 with a decent baselayer. It's always feet and hands that are a problem and need more attention. Very impressed with the jacket.

I'm size medium in Castelli and went for M even for the Alpha RoS 2. It's snug but not extreme. 178cm / 78kg.
2023 Wilier Rave SLR
2022 Wilier Filante SLR
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

sovereign

by sovereign

steveadore wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:21 pm
How does the sizing of the Perfetto RoS 2 (3 pockets, current model) compare with the predecessor RoS (2 pockets) exactly? I understand the latter is a bit tighter fit, but is there a full size difference between these two? I find the RoS 2 in size M just a little bit too baggy in the chest (94 cm chest circumference) and a bit too long, both in the body and the arms. On the other hand, the short-sleeve Perfetto Ros 2 Wind Jersey fits pretty much perfectly. So if I were to choose my size in the older RoS (2 pockets) on sale, would I be safe with size M or should I size up to L. I wear M in Castelli in general and prefer a snug fit (only one base layer most of the time)
94cm chest, same as you. 178cm height, @69kgs/152lbs. I have the Perfetto RoS (2-pocket) in medium. The fit is... perfect. I bought 2 and am contemplating a third, since Castelli has changed the fit and who knows if they are going to continue with this trend. Reports on the new RoS 2 (including yours :D ) are that it is too big in medium for me, and am I now really a small? In Castelli? :shock:

Anyway, I 100% recommend the medium for you in the previous version.

steveadore

by steveadore

sovereign wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:26 am
steveadore wrote:
94cm chest, same as you. 178cm height, @69kgs/152lbs. I have the Perfetto RoS (2-pocket) in medium. The fit is... perfect. I bought 2 and am contemplating a third, since Castelli has changed the fit and who knows if they are going to continue with this trend. Reports on the new RoS 2 (including yours :D ) are that it is too big in medium for me, and am I now really a small? In Castelli? :shock:

Thank you! I haven't tried the new RoS 2 in size S. The M was okayish, but the arms were too long (my arms are a bit short, negative ape index) and I have also found the upper arms too loose (I have thin cyclist arms, with not much muscle). And leaning forward, there was some bulging at the chest. I could live with it, but I liked the fit of the short sleeve Perfetto Wind jersey better (that one has a shorter back and the back material is stretchier of course, so probably that helps with a better fit too).

In fact, now I'm thinking whether I should get the Beta RoS instead of the Perfetto 2 (or try to get the old 2-pocket Perfetto on sale)? I don't ride in the rain at all, and need this for spring/autumn windy rides. The Perfetto might be overkill for those conditions and cause me to sweat more than the Beta :?:
I was going to buy the discontinued (previous version) Sportful Fiandre Pro/Medium, which was also made of Polartec Neoshell, but I've been told that it breathes less than Gore Infinium, even though the fabric is lighter. But now I keep reading about the superiority of the Beta RoS when it comes to warmer, drier weather and I'm confused, as the Beta is also made of Neoshell

sovereign

by sovereign

steveadore wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:28 am
sovereign wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:26 am
steveadore wrote:

Thank you! I haven't tried the new RoS 2 in size S. The M was okayish, but the arms were too long (my arms are a bit short, negative ape index) and I have also found the upper arms too loose (I have thin cyclist arms, with not much muscle). And leaning forward, there was some bulging at the chest. I could live with it, but I liked the fit of the short sleeve Perfetto Wind jersey better (that one has a shorter back and the back material is stretchier of course, so probably that helps with a better fit too).

In fact, now I'm thinking whether I should get the Beta RoS instead of the Perfetto 2 (or try to get the old 2-pocket Perfetto on sale)? I don't ride in the rain at all, and need this for spring/autumn windy rides. The Perfetto might be overkill for those conditions and cause me to sweat more than the Beta :?:
I was going to buy the discontinued (previous version) Sportful Fiandre Pro/Medium, which was also made of Polartec Neoshell, but I've been told that it breathes less than Gore Infinium, even though the fabric is lighter. But now I keep reading about the superiority of the Beta RoS when it comes to warmer, drier weather and I'm confused, as the Beta is also made of Neoshell
I suppose it depends on your use case regarding temps and how warm you run. I am not using the Perfetto RoS in the wet. I am riding in Colorado mountains where I use it from 30F-40F with either a SS Pro Mesh or SS Prosecco Tech baselayer. Above that I use the Alpha RoS Light up to @47F. Below 30F I use the Alpha RoS, the original version as Castelli has up sized the Alpha RoS 2 as well. :noidea:

I am not sure where the Beta RoS would work for me. I run warm so above 50F I think it would be overkill. There is very little info out on it that I can find. Maybe you should get one and report back? :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

steveadore

by steveadore

If I get one, I promise to report on it :D

So, do you find the Alpha Ros Light better for warmer weather than the Perfetto Ros? Interesting. I assumed that even with the lighter fabric, the Alpha Light would be warmer because of the double layer in the front. As far as I can see, there is considerable overlap at the warmer end of the recommended temp. scale between the Alpha Ros Light, Perfetto Ros, and Beta Ros.

What adds further confusion is that Castelli provide fabric designations such as Gore Infinium 150, 203, or 205, but when I search for these numerical codes, there's not much info out there.