Di2 9270, wireless or wired?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Those with long term experience running 12spd Di2 wireless, do you wish you ran it wired for the longer battery life between recharge cycles? Or plan to switch or have actually already switched from Wireless->Wired?

If there are users happy with the wireless experience and see no need to wire, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and experiences as well.

If anyone's gone the opposite way, Wired->Wireless, that'd be interesting to hear about too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thebikemanguy

by thebikemanguy

I had 11spd (wired) and 12spd (wireless) and in use they're identical. I don't really care how often I have to charge my bike - having to charge it once a month as opposed to every other month doesn't actually matter to me. The only time it has made a difference is replacing headset bearings - having fewer cables to disconnect and reroute in a fully integrated setup makes wireless easier to live with and that's what I would choose.

kode54

by kode54

I'm in the same camp as @thebikemanguy. Easy to check capacity and quick to charge so no issues coming from a wired 11-speed to 12-speed wireless.
Less wires (and weight!) > than longer battery life. Shifter batteries are still full so just the main seatpost battery top up is all.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Stueys

by Stueys

Wireless all the way, it just works and battery life seems to be in the years category at the moment for me.

m3bas

by m3bas

Have been running wireless for nearly 12 months now, shifter batteries still good which had been my biggest concern. I'd just go wireless for easier install and possibly cleaner setup depending on your bike

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I'm on the 9250 group (rim brake) and only have the wired option. Others have complained about the slow 'wake up' on the wireless setup. On mine there's zero lag when I press the shift button for the first time. The RD shifts immediately after the first press without any delay. I don't see any benefits of a wireless system at all, only downsides.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I don't mind the battery life at all.
What annoys me though, is the wake up shift.

In wired mode, the system will response to all your clicks.
In wireless mode, the first few clicks won't be recognized until the system wakes up, which take about 2 seconds.

If it's only one wake up click for the entire ride then I wouldn't mind it at all. However, unlike Sram which has accelero meter to sense when to go back to sleep, the di2 go back to sleep after 30 minutes of no shift regardless if you are still riding or not.
That, gets me. Aside from cafe stop or trainer ride which usually include 30 minutes of no shift. Some time I ride a long straight service road at steady pace ( no gear shift) for a while, then I wait to shift last second before losing momentum up the overpass bridge only to find out my di2 is sleeping and I have to wait 2 seconds for it to wake up.

It annoys me enough that I consider wire it up but haven't done so yet.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Is shifter firmware updates over wireless still locked out?

https://bettershifting.com/installation ... ft-levers/

I don't really understand the whole semi-wireless thing I guess, if you're routing hoses/brake cable already, that wire lives beside it anyways and isn't that much extra work.

kode54

by kode54

Hexsense wrote:I don't mind the battery life at all.
What annoys me though, is the wake up shift.

In wired mode, the system will response to all your clicks.
In wireless mode, the first few clicks won't be recognized until the system wakes up, which take about 2 seconds.

If it's only one wake up click for the entire ride then I wouldn't mind it at all. However, unlike Sram which has accelero meter to sense when to go back to sleep, the di2 go back to sleep after 30 minutes of no shift regardless if you are still riding or not.
That, gets me. Aside from cafe stop or trainer ride which usually include 30 minutes of no shift. Some time I ride a long straight service road at steady pace ( no gear shift) for a while, then I wait to shift last second before losing momentum up the overpass bridge only to find out my di2 is sleeping and I have to wait 2 seconds for it to wake up.

It annoys me enough that I consider wire it up but haven't done so yet.
When I first installed 12-speed, I thought a wire came loose since it didn’t respond the following day after install. And it did bother me months after. Although now, as I walk the bike out of the house, I always click to activate the system. Muscle memory does it to my 11-speed too. Oops.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

ricerocket wrote:Is shifter firmware updates over wireless still locked out?

https://bettershifting.com/installation ... ft-levers/

I don't really understand the whole semi-wireless thing I guess, if you're routing hoses/brake cable already, that wire lives beside it anyways and isn't that much extra work.
I bought a 2-port Junction and 1600mm wire just for updating shifters. As far as routing/adding extra eTube wires to shifters, it’s still another wire to get in the way. Less is more for me.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

jih

by jih

Been using 12s ultegra wireless with zero issues. Recharge interval is still very long, and I usually plug it in before it dips below 50%.

Firmware upgrades are more difficult but since everything works perfect already I'm going with the theory that I don't really need the shifter upgrade.

It's cleaner for frames that don't have internal routing and a little bit lighter. I've never ridden far enough without shifting for the groupset to go to sleep in over a year.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Interesting so it seems like...

1. Most users are happy with the time between main-battery charge cycles for wireless
2. There is a small win for simplicity when it comes to overhauling headsets going wireless, based on bar. On the flip side, updating shifter FW is easier if wired.
3. Small weight improvement (tho, if you removed the two CR1632's, would that mostly be a wash when considering the wire? Prolly still a win for the wireless?)
4. If wireless, unit goes to sleep if shifting remains idle for 30min. This means you have to pay a ~2 second 'lag tax' to wakeup the device, which can lead to momentary confusion and fumbling when it actually comes time to shift. Would pressing the mode buttons during your ride help refresh that 30min timeout?

Kay, thanks all.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Yeah but ask yourself how often you ride 30 minutes without shifting. Even on the flattest roads this has never happened to me. When I first get on the bike, I spin the cranks to wake up my PM and click a shift lever to wake up Di2. It's a complete non-issue.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

seems dependent on where you ride

non-issue for prolly most ppl, including me. most of the year anyway

Jaisen

by Jaisen

BigBoyND wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:19 am
Yeah but ask yourself how often you ride 30 minutes without shifting. Even on the flattest roads this has never happened to me. When I first get on the bike, I spin the cranks to wake up my PM and click a shift lever to wake up Di2. It's a complete non-issue.
Exactly, of all the things you need to do before a ride, the waking up of the system isn't worthy of consideration. I spin the crank, turn on the Garmin, click the levers, calibrate the pedals power meter, check my tire pressure, double check I have everything I need on the road for emergencies. Put my helmet, glasses, and shoes on, etc. The one second click to wake up the system in all that habit is what? Not even something I think about but just an automatic reflex.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com