Di2 9270, wireless or wired?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jaisen

by Jaisen

maxim809 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:31 am
Interesting so it seems like...

1. Most users are happy with the time between main-battery charge cycles for wireless
2. There is a small win for simplicity when it comes to overhauling headsets going wireless, based on bar. On the flip side, updating shifter FW is easier if wired.
3. Small weight improvement (tho, if you removed the two CR1632's, would that mostly be a wash when considering the wire? Prolly still a win for the wireless?)
4. If wireless, unit goes to sleep if shifting remains idle for 30min. This means you have to pay a ~2 second 'lag tax' to wakeup the device, which can lead to momentary confusion and fumbling when it actually comes time to shift. Would pressing the mode buttons during your ride help refresh that 30min timeout?

Kay, thanks all.
As far as #2 is concerned, is this really an on-going issue? When I received my Ultegra Di2 groupset, the instructions were to pair the system wired for the first time and to update the firmwafe wired, but the Shimano instructions clearly indicated that for subsequent updates, wireless would be fine. I haven't had a new FW yet to test, but I will probably do it wireless.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

maxim809 wrote:
4. If wireless, unit goes to sleep if shifting remains idle for 30min. This means you have to pay a ~2 second 'lag tax' to wakeup the device, which can lead to momentary confusion and fumbling when it actually comes time to shift. Would pressing the mode buttons during your ride help refresh that 30min timeout?
Likely.
Even if I don't need to shift, I could just click the third button (normally a bike computer control) button on top of the hood to ensure it remain active.
It should become a muscle memory, eventually, hopefully. Or I could just stop riding di2 geared bike like a single speed so it won't go to sleep.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

Jaisen wrote:
maxim809 wrote:
Interesting so it seems like...

1. Most users are happy with the time between main-battery charge cycles for wireless
2. There is a small win for simplicity when it comes to overhauling headsets going wireless, based on bar. On the flip side, updating shifter FW is easier if wired.
3. Small weight improvement (tho, if you removed the two CR1632's, would that mostly be a wash when considering the wire? Prolly still a win for the wireless?)

Kay, thanks all.
As far as #2 is concerned, is this really an on-going issue? When I received my Ultegra Di2 groupset, the instructions were to pair the system wired for the first time and to update the firmwafe wired, but the Shimano instructions clearly indicated that for subsequent updates, wireless would be fine. I haven't had a new FW yet to test, but I will probably do it wireless.
A wire is needed to update FW. Either directly from the third port of the battery or, like what I do…is have a 2-port junction with 1600mm wire to reach the shifters from the FD wire (disconnected from FD). Simple quick solution to update when required without removing seatpost to get at battery port.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

poulhansen

by poulhansen

How often are there updates to firmware? And are they really necessary? Or like any other updates that f.x. adds croatian language or stuff like that.

I mean it's working when you buy, so why update? I'm always a bit suspicious that updates might introduce errors somewhere else.
Cannondale Super Six HiMod 2017 6.7 kg
Cannondale six13, 2004, 5.50kg
Focus Izalco Max, 2023 4.418 kg

Hexsense

by Hexsense

^ Very rare. Like once a year or less.
It's there to
1) fix issues on new released products.
2) add compatibility with products recently or about to be released.

It's always nice to update the 1st year patch for bug fix.
But later patches aren't needed unless you change other components later. (Like, change to a newer updated battery).

thebikemanguy

by thebikemanguy

"Very rare" is an understatement IMO. I'd wager the vast majority of Di2 owners have never touched their firmware - I certainly have never done so and have never felt a need to do so across multiple generations of Di2 I've owned. My assumption is that you need a specific cable to update the firmware, and not buying that feels like reason enough for me to not do it if I don't have to.

poulhansen

by poulhansen

thebikemanguy wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:46 pm
"Very rare" is an understatement IMO. I'd wager the vast majority of Di2 owners have never touched their firmware - I certainly have never done so and have never felt a need to do so across multiple generations of Di2 I've owned. My assumption is that you need a specific cable to update the firmware, and not buying that feels like reason enough for me to not do it if I don't have to.
:D
Cannondale Super Six HiMod 2017 6.7 kg
Cannondale six13, 2004, 5.50kg
Focus Izalco Max, 2023 4.418 kg

scottydonald

by scottydonald

wireless for me, just works and easy. 9 months in and all good for me!

Vuong05

by Vuong05

Wireless on my Allez Sprint as well.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)