Cycliq Fly 6 Gen 3, Dead After Rain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

justonwo

by justonwo

The forecast this morning was for cloudy skies. My four hour ride ended up being pretty much a constant drizzle the entire time.

When I got home, I noticed the unit no longer powers up. Plugging into power generates a lot of heat. Pretty clear water is shorting it.

They advertise the unit to be "water and dust resistant for all-weather use."

Anyone else have rain-related issues. I've seen a lot of complaints about it on Reddit.

These units are supposedly IP56 rated, which means, "Water from heavy seas or water projected from jets shall not enter the machine in any harmful quantity."

I should think that covers any kind of riding condition, including torrential downpours.
2020 F12 AXS Red (Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic
2024 Topstone Lab71 (Force/XX1, Terra CLX II)

Retired: 2014 and 2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

markdjr

by markdjr

A Cycliq product broke? This is shocking news.... no disrespect to OP, but I am so disappointed in Cycliq lifespan and reparability.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

This is a common complaint for the Cycliq products. The FB group is full of these stories. I believe you can contact Cycliq and they've been consistent with replacing dead units.

voicycle

by voicycle

Schadenfreude wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:12 am
This is a common complaint for the Cycliq products. The FB group is full of these stories. I believe you can contact Cycliq and they've been consistent with replacing dead units.
Yep they seem to just replace units with relatively few questions asked. My Gen2 even turned into a Gen3 when it got replaced - they didn't even want the old unit back so it's still sitting on my desk because part of me thinks it should still be of some value to somebody but I haven't figured out who/how/where yet.

I'd guess the business model is just to continue easy replacement until they finally get the failure rate down or manage enough market share that they become a must-have device. I'd exepct them to be extra friendly and helpful now that the Garmin radar has a camera - that's got to feel like a huge threat if you're Cycliq.

JorgeGortex

by JorgeGortex

I have to say I've had the opposite experience with their customer service. My unit I used off and on after getting it. I set it aside for a few months and when I went to turn it on, after ensuring it was fully charged, I could not get it to do so, nor could I get it connect to the app properly. I contacted Cycliq for support and they gave me a few things to try, all of which I did to the letter. Nothing. The unit was non-responsive after a year. It was maybe a month out of warranty and their response was to shrug and offer a 20% discount on a new one. I told them where to stick their 20%. My light was never used in the rain, was never dropped, and looked new. For this much money, their units should be solid and work without issues, and their customer service should be better. I've had issues with other bike parts and always received better treatment. Heck, I had a Bontrager Ion front light (the little cube) that died after a couple of *years* of near-daily use. I reached out to them to see if I could change out the battery or do something to get it going. The guy on the other end explained that they were sealed and probably not easily repairable without ruining it. He offered 20% off on a new one... and that was 20% I accepted! The guy with a major company was helpful, considerate, and responsive, and answered all my questions on a light that I used up. Cycliq... you can keep them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

voicycle

by voicycle

JorgeGortex wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:19 pm
I have to say I've had the opposite experience with their customer service. My unit I used off and on after getting it. I set it aside for a few months and when I went to turn it on, after ensuring it was fully charged, I could not get it to do so, nor could I get it connect to the app properly. I contacted Cycliq for support and they gave me a few things to try, all of which I did to the letter. Nothing. The unit was non-responsive after a year. It was maybe a month out of warranty and their response was to shrug and offer a 20% discount on a new one. I told them where to stick their 20%. My light was never used in the rain, was never dropped, and looked new. For this much money, their units should be solid and work without issues, and their customer service should be better. I've had issues with other bike parts and always received better treatment. Heck, I had a Bontrager Ion front light (the little cube) that died after a couple of *years* of near-daily use. I reached out to them to see if I could change out the battery or do something to get it going. The guy on the other end explained that they were sealed and probably not easily repairable without ruining it. He offered 20% off on a new one... and that was 20% I accepted! The guy with a major company was helpful, considerate, and responsive, and answered all my questions on a light that I used up. Cycliq... you can keep them.
Hmm I guess I shouldn't expect any future help with my 3 then. Guessing you're not in the EU? I'm pretty sure that when my 2 went I was between the 1yr and 2yr mark - at the time the UK was still in the EU, and I think there's some kind of EU reg that effectively ensures warranty support for all electronics up to 2yrs regardless of manufacturer warranty terms.