SIS drink mix scam

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ytse

by Ytse

I have experienced the same with a different brand I usually buy. What I suspect is that for cost saving reasons, supplier replaced scoops, but did not update the manual printed on the box.
2020 Scott Addict RC / 2021 Trek Emonda SLR / 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL8

Jz91

by Jz91

ahh...I thought that was also weird but to me it seemed that SIS has the same scoop for say rego and energy powders but it would have different "capacity".

I mean that two scoops of energy powder are 40g and in recovery powder they amount to 60g or something...

Never really investigated into it though
Last edited by Jz91 on Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robbosmans

by robbosmans

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:@robbossman have you reached out to sis to ask them? Personally that's a big difference in the amount of product being consumed.
Yes, waiting for a reply.
Ytse wrote:I have experienced the same with a different brand I usually buy. What I suspect is that for cost saving reasons, supplier replaced scoops, but did not update the manual printed on the box.
Funny because these are companies that hammer on proper nutrition but then they stuff like this.
Its either just a cost saving thing (seems unlikely), or just a way of selling more product because you will run out a lot faster

RadB

by RadB

MagicShite wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:01 am
> 2022 almost ending
> people not buying maltodextrin and fructose from bakeries to make their own mix

I seriously hope you guys don't do this.
Of course not, I use one weird trick and doctors hate it.

pmprego

by pmprego

RadB wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:00 pm
MagicShite wrote:
> 2022 almost ending
> people not buying maltodextrin and fructose from bakeries to make their own mix

Of course not, I use one weird trick and doctors hate it.
Damn... I must be low on the irony today. I'm not following your comments.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

pmprego wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:57 am
MagicShite wrote:
> 2022 almost ending

Can you elaborate?
SIS flat out tells you what their suggested mix is. It's just a mixture of maltodextrin and fructose. Both of these are cheaply available from your local bakery store.

You don't need any guess work, just mix accordingly to required carbs and you're done.

wltz

by wltz

MagicShite wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:49 pm

SIS flat out tells you what their suggested mix is. It's just a mixture of maltodextrin and fructose. Both of these are cheaply available from your local bakery store.

You don't need any guess work, just mix accordingly to required carbs and you're done.
Idk, the "natural" taste of maltodextrin is naff. I've not tried SiS, but Torq Fitness mixes taste really really nice, esp the pink grapefruit one. Flavoured energy mixes also mask tastes of whatever else you add to your drinks (citrullin etc). So they do have a point in my book.

joejack951

by joejack951

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:26 am
Anyway SiS is really questionable stuff. Their mixes contain or have contained artificial sweeteners for lord knows what reason. The real sugars required to make these mixes already sweeten the product enough. I really get that taste of aspartame or whatever…it’s terrible.
I'd love to hear the scientific rationale for including aspartame (it's right there in the pictured label of ingredients) in a sugared drink mix for athletes.

Edit: browsing their site, it seems every product uses some sort of chemical sweetener (aspartame and sucralose mainly) but there isn't a single mention of it outside of those ingredients appearing in the 'Nutrition' section. Interestingly, even if you search for the sweetener by name their website returns no hits.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I moved away from SIS to Maurten (which I dont find overly sweet). My last remain SIS. product is pretty much the REGO vanilla because the taste is ok. I'm not a chocolate guy so good tasting vanilla is hard to find right now. Momentus is digusting and Skatch (horchata) is full of sugars and flow is not that great either.

I'll have to check the scoop size/weight now. :thumbup:
Last edited by spdntrxi on Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

darrydonds

by darrydonds

Stormtrooper wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:58 pm
I used to buy those drinks but not anymore. I just put plain water in my bottles. Now no more mold grows in the bottles and I don't notice any difference by not using the drinking powder. I also used to buy alot of gels but not anymore. Just have a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast and sometimes I ride fasted.

Ever notice the packaging is getting smaller than what it used to be? Paying more for less.
Stormtrooper wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:51 pm
Most rides are no longer than 2 hours. Sunday rides 3 -4 hours. Anything after that I might stop and pick a snicker bar or something.
Same here. 2-hours ride on weekdays, 4+hours ride on weekends. Not racing. For the longer rides or high intensity rides (I try to follow the 80/20 polarized training regiment), I eat pasta with meatless sauce and/or oatmeal a few hours before going out. Would bring a few "sold everywhere" energy bars (Larabar, Clif) for on-the-go fueling. I find this works well for me -- not feeling running out of gas. Mostly riding 80% in Z2 during those longer rides. Fluid is usually just water. A few times, just to switch it up, I mix the water with pure coconut water, a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of sugar.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BigBoyND wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:23 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:26 am
As for the scoop size discrepancy. Sometimes these brands advise you shovel out a “rounded” scoop, which would probably end up close to 40g.
OPs instructions say 2 scoops. What you say would make it 80 grams. The problem is the scoop is too big, not too small

My bad, I misread and thought it was supposed to be 80g of total powder. What’s weird is they’ve been using this scoop with that product for several years and apparently nobody (including me) noticed.

darrydonds wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:06 pm

Same here. 2-hours ride on weekdays, 4+hours ride on weekends. Not racing. For the longer rides or high intensity rides (I try to follow the 80/20 polarized training regiment), I eat pasta with meatless sauce and/or oatmeal a few hours before going out. Would bring a few "sold everywhere" energy bars (Larabar, Clif) for on-the-go fueling. I find this works well for me -- not feeling running out of gas. Mostly riding 80% in Z2 during those longer rides. Fluid is usually just water. A few times, just to switch it up, I mix the water with pure coconut water, a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of sugar.

Running purely on glycogen reserves, I can last right around 2.5 hours at Z2 HR before the liver is feeling it. And at 2 hours, my stomach will already start feeling empty / hunger pangs. Dancing around a bonk also delays recovery, and that 30min window after a ride is when your body metabolizes sugars into glycogen most efficiently.

RDY

by RDY

Why would you buy something with aspartame in it anyway.

joejack951

by joejack951

RDY wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:54 pm
Why would you buy something with aspartame in it anyway.
The company, SIS, sure seems to not want you to know it's in there. I personally would not expect a sports drink mix to contain anything of the sort, unless it was specifically advertised as low sugar, i.e. Gatorade G2.

kgcx

by kgcx

robbosmans wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:01 pm
Got reply (kinda)
Just ordered a container of their mix, they have changed the scoop to a smaller one. Haven't measured it on a scale, but it is substianially smaller than the previous black scoop that used to come with all of their products.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com