Which Factor bike for +/- 86kg rider?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AmericanTemplar

by AmericanTemplar

Hi there!

I'm shopping for my first modern road bike after transitioning from many years on an older steel Colnago to a variety of gravel bikes. In my search, I came across Factor bikes and I like that they allow you to select component sizes and they seem to be high quality bikes from what I've read.

I'm a bigger guy at around 86kg and 188cm and I produce a decent amount of punchy power and I've broken a number of bikes over the years, so I don't want anything too fragile. But, I've been riding a 19 lb Santa Cruz Highball as my XC bike for 3 years now without issue, so I know that there are lightweight bikes out there that are plenty durable for a bigger guy who rides a lot.

I don't really do much road racing, and most of the social riding that I do is offroad, so I'm mainly looking for a bike for hammering out after work rides. I mainly like climbing and descending and my top priority is a bike that climbs well.

I was initially interested in the O2 VAM, but I've seen a number of people say that they're flexible and I notice that Factor says that the max weight is 90kg, so seems like maybe I should look elsewhere. So I'm wondering if anyone might be able to compare the standard O2 to the Ostro VAM for climbing?

I would consider other brands besides Factor, but my preference is to buy a complete bike that will fit me properly without having to replace a bunch of parts.

I have a custom steel gravel bike, and I run a 90mm stem with a 20mm headset spacer and 40cm bars that are similar in stack and reach to what comes stock on the Factor, and a 25cm setback seatpost.

I'm thinking that one of the Factor models in a 58 with similar component dimensions, and maybe an extra spacer under the stem should be good?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I have about 5,000 km on an O2 VAM, 10,000 km on a regular O2, and 400km on an Ostro. There is only one option at your size and that is the Ostro. Here is my recent review: viewtopic.php?p=1771137#p1771137.

You could make a regular O2 work, but if you are prepared to spend for the Ostro, it will suit you better. If you do go for a regular O2, while you may find the ride acceptable, there is the risk that at your size you will literally twist the frame enough to dislodge the bottom bracket regardless of what retaining compound is used. Same problem with the too-flexible-for-you O2 VAM, Not an issue with the threaded bb in the Ostro.

58 is definitely your size with Factor. The geometry comparison you posted suggests that a Factor can work but that 90mm stem does seem short for someone on a 58. The Ostro is an amazing bike but make sure you are happy with the positioning - it is pretty aggressive.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

C36

by C36

#1 thing is do a bike fit if you never did any. Only then you will know if your current position is correct and if you can be properly positioned on the frames you mention.

AmericanTemplar

by AmericanTemplar

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:54 am
I have about 5,000 km on an O2 VAM, 10,000 km on a regular O2, and 400km on an Ostro. There is only one option at your size and that is the Ostro. Here is my recent review: viewtopic.php?p=1771137#p1771137.

You could make a regular O2 work, but if you are prepared to spend for the Ostro, it will suit you better. If you do go for a regular O2, while you may find the ride acceptable, there is the risk that at your size you will literally twist the frame enough to dislodge the bottom bracket regardless of what retaining compound is used. Same problem with the too-flexible-for-you O2 VAM, Not an issue with the threaded bb in the Ostro.

58 is definitely your size with Factor. The geometry comparison you posted suggests that a Factor can work but that 90mm stem does seem short for someone on a 58. The Ostro is an amazing bike but make sure you are happy with the positioning - it is pretty aggressive.
Thanks! And, I appreciate the review as well.

I emailed Factor with the drawings from my custom bike along with my measurements and they thought that I might be a 61 due to saddle to bar drop. Given the fact that I already use a shorter stem, I'm not quite sure how that would work.

I also spoke with the US Factor rep today and he agreed that the Ostro is the bike that makes the most sense for me.
C36 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:59 am
#1 thing is do a bike fit if you never did any. Only then you will know if your current position is correct and if you can be properly positioned on the frames you mention.
Yeah, probably a good call. I've never actually had a professional fit before and I've been having lower back issues and the PT advised a bike fit as well. I'm going to try to get one in the next week or two before figuring out whether or not the Ostro will work for me.

spib

by spib

If you're planning on descending a lot on this bike you might want to plan around a stem longer than 90mm as well, stems that short can get twitchy at high speeds especially on race bikes like the ostro

AmericanTemplar

by AmericanTemplar

spib wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:35 pm
If you're planning on descending a lot on this bike you might want to plan around a stem longer than 90mm as well, stems that short can get twitchy at high speeds especially on race bikes like the ostro
Fair point. I haven't had a race bike in quite some time, so hopefully, I can get the bike to fit with a longer stem.

Lookryder

by Lookryder

spib wrote:
I ride a 58 Ostro with a 100mm stem/40 bar combo; perhaps shorter than most would ride in this size, but I don’t find it twitchy at all; rides similarly to my older slightly less racy Alchemy Helios with a 110 stem.

AmericanTemplar

by AmericanTemplar

Lookryder wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:15 pm
spib wrote:
I ride a 58 Ostro with a 100mm stem/40 bar combo; perhaps shorter than most would ride in this size, but I don’t find it twitchy at all; rides similarly to my older slightly less racy Alchemy Helios with a 110 stem.
Good to hear! I'm supposed to get a bike fit on Friday so will see how they size me, but good to know that I shouldn't be too nervous about using a shorter stem.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

@AmericanTemplar, yes, it is a misunderstanding to equate a shorter stem with less predictable handling. Not going to result in high speed wobbles, etc. It simply means that any given amount of steering movement by the hands has a greater effect on the angle of the front wheel than if that same amount of movement were applied to a longer stem. The magnitude of difference is very small and the body and brain adjust to it immediately. When you are planted in an aero tuck and hammering down the road, longer stems seem to help the bike track with less effort, but again, you adapt immediately to whatever stem is fitted and you ride accordingly.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

fruitfly

by fruitfly

I have a 56cm Ostro, and the Factor fitting recommended a 90mm stem. It is fine, descends on rails, and completely confidence inspiring.
Factor Ostro

C36

by C36

Side notes on geometry and stem feedbacks.
The stem length is irrelevant if you don’t look at the bar reach or even the hoods geometry.

The comments type « I run this and it’s perfectly fine » have also to be taken with great caution. « Fine » doesn’t mean « great » and until you tried « really great » you have no idea where you stand.
For components, you can swap, for geometries, well, that’s a lot more complicated but as a rule of thumb, hands placement has to be as close as possible from front wheel axle vertical (to make it simple). Too much in front as we see on some pro riders on tinny frames lead to handling problems, too much back lead to soso behaviour (again, rideable but far from being great).

AmericanTemplar

by AmericanTemplar

Thanks everyone--point taken between what works and what is optimal. Unfortunately, it might just be the case that the Ostro won't be optimal for my dimensions and range of motion. I went in for a fit on Sunday and they had some trouble with the machine, so I still haven't been able to get the final numbers, but the fitter sent me these in the meantime:

Saddle Height: 792mm
Tip of Saddle to center of Handlebar: 560mm
Cranks: 170mm
Saddle Width: 143mm
BB stack to center HB (vertical): 715mm

Not sure if these numbers give anyone a sense of whether or not the Ostro would work for me, but wouldn't mind hearing your input either way.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

AmericanTemplar wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:29 pm
Thanks everyone--point taken between what works and what is optimal. Unfortunately, it might just be the case that the Ostro won't be optimal for my dimensions and range of motion. I went in for a fit on Sunday and they had some trouble with the machine, so I still haven't been able to get the final numbers, but the fitter sent me these in the meantime:

Not sure if these numbers give anyone a sense of whether or not the Ostro would work for me, but wouldn't mind hearing your input either way.
Reach to handlebar can work, but the stack number to the handlebar seems to be an issue. FWIW my saddle height is 760mm and the vertical stack from bb to the top of my bar is about 610mm by rough measure (and I've got 20mm of spacers under the stem). You need to find another 100mm of stack on top of that. A size 58 will (with the same 20mm spacer that I use) will get you an addition 20mm. I don't see how you can get the other 80mm. Sorry friend, it's a nice bike, but unless your fitter was way off, or you grow some Orangutan arms, or start taking ballet, you won't be able to reach the bars.

The numbers suggest you need the bars at the same height as the saddle. The Ostro is just not the bike for that. And if you came up with some bodge to make it happen, almost certainly it would end up in the freaks thread. :D

AmericanTemplar

by AmericanTemplar

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:01 pm
AmericanTemplar wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:29 pm

Reach to handlebar can work, but the stack number to the handlebar seems to be an issue. FWIW my saddle height is 760mm and the vertical stack from bb to the top of my bar is about 610mm by rough measure (and I've got 20mm of spacers under the stem). You need to find another 100mm of stack on top of that. A size 58 will (with the same 20mm spacer that I use) will get you an addition 20mm. I don't see how you can get the other 80mm. Sorry friend, it's a nice bike, but unless your fitter was way off, or you grow some Orangutan arms, or start taking ballet, you won't be able to reach the bars.

The numbers suggest you need the bars at the same height as the saddle. The Ostro is just not the bike for that. And if you came up with some bodge to make it happen, almost certainly it would end up in the freaks thread. :D
Thanks, yes you're probably right. :cry:

Isn't the saddle to bar drop 792mm - 715mm = 77mm? Either way it does look like you're correct that the Ostro won't work without an ugly boner stem. :oops:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Remember saddle height is measured from the bb along the seat tube/seatpost. So it's not actually that high in a vertical plumb line. And it's not drop from saddle to bars that is the problem number, it's vertical stack from bb to bars which is too great a number.