How are you clamping your aero bike in your stand?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I have, and prefer to use stands that clamp the seat post. Not going to happen with the seat post on my Ostro, and I assume most aero bikes. Does anyone have any good tips? The Silca Hirobel https://silca.cc/products/hirobel-clamp looks like it is a great option but it's also $200. I'm pretty sure I don't want to switch to any stand that requires me to remove the front wheel everytime I put the bike in it which is pretty much every day.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

If you have a 'wheel on trainer'- buy appropriate axle from robert axle project.

There is a park tool stand that also has a rubber/polymer type receptacle for the BB and a thru-axle for front fork.

I find a wheel on trainer made the PT stand a bit redundant as i can service bicycle, get shifting sorted, service BB etc with the wheel on trainer.

bobones

by bobones

I bought a Giant ISP Clamp after seeing this video (from 3.10)

It has 4 adaptors (27.2, 31.8, TCR ISP and aero), but I'm not sure any will fit your Ostro. Even the TCR specific one is a bit loose on my bike, so the bike flops down at the front and you need to tilt the workstand clamp to compensate. The bike is a bit wobbly with this setup, but it's fine for most work.

Before I bought this, I used to clamp the ISP directly in the workstand using a soft cloth to protect the paint as the jaws in my workstand clamp easily open wide enough.

With my other bikes, I just balance the bike by the top tube in the workstand and close the clamp with just enough force to hold the frame and nowhere near enough to crush it. I do understand that lever forces could be too much for very thin top tubes, but in my experience, gentle clamping by the top tube is a lot less dangerous than conventional wisdom would have you believe. Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating this method, as it would be expensive if it goes wrong, so do your own risk assessment!

C36

by C36

I haven’t seen very satisfactory solutions to clamp on the seat post. Some brands have special tools made only for their frames, i have seen a Giant and a Look.

I am back using a Tacx t3075 (that’s an old model) or 3350 or anything equivalent that support the bike by the QR.
They provide the best bike stability and immune to aero tubes challenges to attach the bike

Last edited by C36 on Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

bsharp77

by bsharp77

I was thinking of a hirobel clamp as well but couldnt justify the cost.
Found a great tip - use a cheap set of handlebars turned upside down in the workstand clamp.
I have an old set with a very short reach to the drops, which means the bike is held nice and cosy - just tape the bars up as normal and the frame is completley protected from any damage.
It works a treat for general maintenence and cleaning, but wouldnt have the stability for any sort of installation work, although I doubt the hirobel would either.

GaBa

by GaBa

Might be tad off-topic but I have to ask - how about clamping a bike on a towbar bike rack? At least thule ones clamp it at toptube. There is bike protector, would that help protecting the frame or just its color? https://www.thule.com/en-si/bike-rack/r ... -_-1692661

kode54

by kode54

I use a Hirobi stand clamped to my Park Tool workstand.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

bsharp77 wrote:I was thinking of a hirobel clamp as well but couldnt justify the cost.
Found a great tip - use a cheap set of handlebars turned upside down in the workstand clamp.
I have an old set with a very short reach to the drops, which means the bike is held nice and cosy - just tape the bars up as normal and the frame is completley protected from any damage.
It works a treat for general maintenence and cleaning, but wouldnt have the stability for any sort of installation work, although I doubt the hirobel would either.
The Hirobi is well made and perfect for maintenance and cleaning as well as bike builds. Never had issues with it and treat it as part of
My Park Tool workstand. Secure, safe and versatile. I’m leery of clamping any carbon part on a regular workstand clamp.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

What I use:

https://www.parktool.com/en-us/product/ ... y=Portable

I have te original version and bought the thu axle mount adapter for my fat and Litespeed T3 disc bikes

bsharp77

by bsharp77

kode54 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:24 pm
bsharp77 wrote:I was thinking of a hirobel clamp as well but couldnt justify the cost.
The Hirobi is well made and perfect for maintenance and cleaning as well as bike builds. Never had issues with it and treat it as part of
My Park Tool workstand. Secure, safe and versatile. I’m leery of clamping any carbon part on a regular workstand clamp.
My solution does not clamp the bike at all. It sits in the "bends" of the spare set of handlebars which are clamped into my workstand.
Not ideal for every situation, but perfect for general cleaning and maintenance and a heck of a lot cheaper.

kervelo

by kervelo

For cleaning the bike or for simple tasks that just require removing the wheels etc. I use the Park Tool PCS-9.3 and gently clamp the seat tube. Quite often I don't even close the jaws, the bike just hangs there. For anything more complicated I use the Tacx Spider Team stand, no clamping required.

I would never attach any of my bikes to the work stand from the frame.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:57 am
I have, and prefer to use stands that clamp the seat post. Not going to happen with the seat post on my Ostro, and I assume most aero bikes. Does anyone have any good tips? The Silca Hirobel https://silca.cc/products/hirobel-clamp looks like it is a great option but it's also $200. I'm pretty sure I don't want to switch to any stand that requires me to remove the front wheel everytime I put the bike in it which is pretty much every day.
I could also prefer something that clamps stem and saddle. But i guess that will not exist anytime soon
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

I bought the Silca Hirobel clamp. My $10k+ bike is worth a $200 clamp accessory.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

justonwo

by justonwo

I use the Hirobel as well. Works very well.
2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 AXS Red (Enve SES 3.4 Disc, Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

Retired: 2014 S-Works Roubaix
2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com