SRM PM7 users / slope

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

Hi there.

Just looking to see users with the pm7. I'm trying to get more info on the slope config and realistically if this is something that needs to be monitored or causes issues in the long run.

There's been a few people here posting issues but wanted to get a temperature check to see if they were outliers.

Trying to choose between this and stages for a no fuss option that ideally won't need any servicing in the longer term.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

I don't understand the question. And also, you're trying to choose between an SRM and a Stages? Those two are hardly comparable. One has a history of being unreliable and breaking while the other has been the subject of research studies and shown to drift the least over a year.

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

Question is: which option would give me the least long term issues?

Gen 3 stages seem to be solid, have two already. Zero issues. I don't really know much about srm, you can't really find reviews and the looking I've done on WW are people just flagging issues.

Appreciate it seems like an easy choice but I just don't like the look of srm, especially compared to SR12 chainset it would replace.

micky

by micky

You clearly have already made up your mind.
Nothing wrong with it.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

The only potential issue you will come across with the SRM is the fact if you don't have a rechargeable battery model, you are going to be sending it to SRM annually or at least every 2 years for calibration and battery change.. this alone now costs $200 for servicing, they doubled the price in the last year.. its a real PITA (especially being in Canada, and dealing with shipping, and all the canada border associated BS)

You can't compare a Stages LH only to an SRM, they are in a different league.. and as a Campy SR12 user, I feel your pain.. the SR12 crank is the center piece of the group.. I used SRM Exakt pedals for a little while just to preserve the crank.. they were OK, but I ended up having issues where they would eventually back out of the crank, so I turfed em and went with the SRM Campy PM.. its not a big deal really.. on my current build I put the SR12 cranks on there, and went with Assioma Duos which track exact with my SRMs and Tacx Neo...

I thought I also read somewhere recently Stages was discontinuing the Campy models as well...

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

ParisCarbon wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:48 am
The only potential issue you will come across with the SRM is the fact if you don't have a rechargeable battery model, you are going to be sending it to SRM annually or at least every 2 years for calibration and battery change.. this alone now costs $200 for servicing, they doubled the price in the last year.. its a real PITA (especially being in Canada, and dealing with shipping, and all the canada border associated BS)

You can't compare a Stages LH only to an SRM, they are in a different league.. and as a Campy SR12 user, I feel your pain.. the SR12 crank is the center piece of the group.. I used SRM Exakt pedals for a little while just to preserve the crank.. they were OK, but I ended up having issues where they would eventually back out of the crank, so I turfed em and went with the SRM Campy PM.. its not a big deal really.. on my current build I put the SR12 cranks on there, and went with Assioma Duos which track exact with my SRMs and Tacx Neo...

I thought I also read somewhere recently Stages was discontinuing the Campy models as well...
Great info. Thanks!

So you'd say the SRM has been good to you? Just set and forget?
No longer term high readings or need for slope adjustments?

For more context, i've come across an option for sr12 stages or srm pm7 2nd hand at the same cost, so deciding between the two. head says srm, heart says stages.

micky

by micky

If I can add my personal experience, with Srm is setup and forget.
I started using it more than 15 years ago with the cable version, switched to the 9000 version with a crazy long battery life and nowdays using the Origin rechargeable.
My only complain is that it took some time to adjust the chain line with EPS 12s but that's something about groupset, not about the powermeter itself.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Bobbyc123 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:25 pm
Question is: which option would give me the least long term issues?

Gen 3 stages seem to be solid, have two already. Zero issues. I don't really know much about srm, you can't really find reviews and the looking I've done on WW are people just flagging issues.

Appreciate it seems like an easy choice but I just don't like the look of srm, especially compared to SR12 chainset it would replace.
The Verve Infocrank is the only crankarm PM I trust because it’s the only one with cranks designed from the ground up to integrate a power meter.

I have owned a gen1 Stages and currently own a Stages SB20 smartbike with gen3 hardware. The power accuracy is bad. I have a “knees out” pedaling style which bends the crankarm in a direction other than the direction of rotation. The Stages hardware doesn’t seem to cancel out or ignore these non-rotational forces. It sees that additional bending and thinks I’m doing more power. I have personally verified this with Favero Assiomas and Garmin Vector 3s as concurrent secondary power sources. I’ve verified the pedals against other power meters. I can make the Stages report high with my knees out and low with my knees squeezing in.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com