Tool-List Di2 and Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

moock

by moock

I just ordered Ultegra Di2 12 Speed groupo.
Its my first electronic and also my first Disc groupset.

I have no Idea what exact tools I need for:

Bleeding the brakes
Cutting the brakehousing
Applying the "olive(?)" to the brakehousing

Di2 tools (?)

Im just experienced in rim/mechanical

Thanks in advance!!

AlexWCS

by AlexWCS

Unless you are likely to be using these tools regularly, I'd suggest paying someone to install the groupset would be more cost effective than getting all the tools.

If you want to get the tools you'll need as a minimum.....
- Bleed kit (lots of options from perfectly adequate ones from Amazon (ezMTB), or more expensive and IMO nicer to use kits from Shimano, Park Tool etc).
- Brake hose cutter (you can use a sharp cutting knife but a cutter will give guarenteed flat cut).
- Barb insertion tool (you can put the hose in a vice and tap the bard in but the tool makes this process easier).
- You may need some brake oil, depending if it is included or not with the groupset.

Di2
- An internal routing kit can save you time and frustration depending on the bike frame you have.
- the tool to connect the cables to the components will be included with the rear derailleur

Other things to consider
1) Assume you already have hex keys, torque wrench, tools to remove crank and bottom bracket, chain cutter etc.
2) Frame grommets to either close off unused frame entry points or have a neater/tighter fit with the Di2 wire vs the brake/gear outer.
3) Battery holder for seatpost or other location on your bike.
4) Isopropyl alcohol and a spray bottle to clean up any spilt oil.
5) Some small zipties to anti-rattle the Di2 cables but you should have enough with the cables supplied.
6) Foam tubing to anti-rattle the rear brake hose.
7) Good time to replace the bottom bracket (whole unit or just bearings) while you have it removed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djel

by djel

very good post from AlexWCS

I just finished builing my gravel bike and here are my observations (from an amateur..):
  • The Shimano TL-BH62 hose cutter / barb insertion tool is not mandatory, but it makes the installation a breeze (bit pricey..)
  • I didn't have the Shimano crankset preload tool and it wasn't included in my kit
  • I always struggle with sizing down the chain correctly and it pays to have the proper tool and a few extra pins in case you screw up and cut the chain too short
  • Cheap internal routing kit on amazon saved me time to route the hydraulic lines
  • Hose foam tubing is not always included, but very much essential to prevent the rattles
  • Plan the routing carefully before doing any cutting or routing the hoses - you have to route the hoses, the foam tubing, the di2 cable and battery, etc.
  • I ended up cutting my front brake hose too short and I can't remove my stem now :mrgreen: it's an easy fix, but if you don't have an integrated cockpit and you want the cables to look nice, make sure you have enough slack to remove the stem!

snaxez

by snaxez

I have Jagwire tools for disc brakes. Bleed kit is good, and cutter / barb insertion tools are nice to have.
https://www.bike24.com/p2611524.html
https://www.bike24.com/p254448.html
https://www.bike24.com/p254376.html

Routing tool is good as well, but does not have a connector for new smaller di2 wire. Park tool one might be better, but is more expensive.
https://www.bike24.com/p2169437.html

Hexsense

by Hexsense

AlexWCS wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:28 pm
- An internal routing kit can save you time and frustration depending on the bike frame you have.
Have you found any internal routing kit that support Shimano smaller 12 speed di2 connector yet?
When I built mine, I had to get creative (with clear tape) to connect the Shimano 12 speed di2 wire to the routing wire.
AlexWCS wrote:
7) Good time to replace the bottom bracket (whole unit or just bearings) while you have it removed.
Can confirm. Removing bottom bracket makes it so much easier.
I'm stubborn, I managed to removed unplugged 11 speed di2 wires with junction b through head tube.
Then connect RD and FD to battery inside the seatpost without removing bb just because I don't feel like removing BBinfinite bottom bracket module.
It's not a good experience. Removing bb to do this would be so much easier.

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

Hexsense wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:40 pm
AlexWCS wrote:
Have you found any internal routing kit that support Shimano smaller 12 speed di2 connector yet?
When I built mine, I had to get creative (with clear tape) to connect the Shimano 12 speed di2 wire to the routing wire.
The updated PRO tool does.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AlexWCS

by AlexWCS

Hexsense wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:40 pm
[/quote]

I've the Park Tool and an old Pro routing kit, neither of which have a perfect option for the smaller Di2 cables so like you I taped it to the end. Thankfully my build was easy on the Giant TCR frame I was working on.

The only other tool I can think you'll need is a derailleur hanger alignment tool. That hanger needs to be spot on.

I've another 11sp mechanical to 12sp Di2 job starting tomorrow on a Cannondale Supersix. I'll reply with any tools I use but forgot to mention.