Is there such a thing as an integrated handlebars and stem with a positive stem rise?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LekkerBraai

by LekkerBraai

TLN wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:02 pm
LekkerBraai wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:39 pm

The BMW stuff is interesting, looks great! Are you referring to this stem, crorrect? https://www.racycles.com/product/detail/19193
Yes. I think you linked old version of ICS stem. Newer version have different spacers, but idea is the same.
Idea is basically the same, cables routed under stem, then go outside of handlebars. BMC have nice groove, so handlebars are round even with cables in there. Obviously you can use aero handlebars and route cables neatly.
Frop top of my head: Specialzied, BMC, Orbea use very similar idea, and it works. BMC offers 0 degree stem, Orbea might have MTB stem that can do the same.
Thanks, is it safe to assume that if they are the standard 31.8 diameter, then fitment should be straight forward on the Trek Emonda?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TLN

by TLN

LekkerBraai wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:07 pm
TLN wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:02 pm
LekkerBraai wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:39 pm

The BMW stuff is interesting, looks great! Are you referring to this stem, crorrect? https://www.racycles.com/product/detail/19193
Yes. I think you linked old version of ICS stem. Newer version have different spacers, but idea is the same.
Idea is basically the same, cables routed under stem, then go outside of handlebars. BMC have nice groove, so handlebars are round even with cables in there. Obviously you can use aero handlebars and route cables neatly.
Frop top of my head: Specialzied, BMC, Orbea use very similar idea, and it works. BMC offers 0 degree stem, Orbea might have MTB stem that can do the same.
Thanks, is it safe to assume that if they are the standard 31.8 diameter, then fitment should be straight forward on the Trek Emonda?
BMC are standart diameter, but lower portion (headset cap and how cables are routed) might be different.
BMC sells bikes with external routing and internal routing, Fork is the only difference and it uses standart diameter (it might be squared, but diameter is the same)
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

LekkerBraai wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:07 am
Just plugged your body measurements into Trek’s size tool. According to them you should be on a 60, not a 58. Although the top tube is longer, the reach is only 3mm extra but the 20mm extra stack would put the bars where you need them to be relative to the saddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting, because the fitter told me, ideally I needed a 57 frame size!
When a fitter tells you that you need a particular size, run. If he gives you a stack & reach combo, that’s more relatable. Size on its own means nothing.
If the fitter sold you the bike, get the size swapped.

LekkerBraai

by LekkerBraai

ultimobici wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:26 pm
LekkerBraai wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:07 am
Just plugged your body measurements into Trek’s size tool. According to them you should be on a 60, not a 58. Although the top tube is longer, the reach is only 3mm extra but the 20mm extra stack would put the bars where you need them to be relative to the saddle.

When a fitter tells you that you need a particular size, run. If he gives you a stack & reach combo, that’s more relatable. Size on its own means nothing.
If the fitter sold you the bike, get the size swapped.

Thanks, the fitter sized me to a bike I bought previously.

jch3n

by jch3n

LekkerBraai wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:07 pm
The stem itself will fit, but it won't be anymore integrated/clean than what you have now because you need a headset top cap and spacers to complete the integration. Unlikely you will find anything off the shelf that converts from Trek Emonda to BMC stem...

This is circled portion is what I'm talking about:
spacers.png

Lina

by Lina

LekkerBraai wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:56 pm
jch3n wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:53 pm
LekkerBraai wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:48 pm
That's a very unqualified blanket statement. Trek doesn't even make a 57 Emonda. You really ought to be looking at specific geometry charts based on your fit measurements. One brand's 57 may be another brand's 58, or 56, etc, so you can't just say get a 57.

And, hate to be a downer, but you should probably just give up on the integrated/semi-integrated handlebars. Even if you found an option, the chances of it integrating cleanly with your Emonda are slim to none, unless you're into custom 3d printing spacers and that type of stuff.
If I understood correctly, he meant that given my current bike's dimensions, the ideal size for that bike would have been 57.
Your fitter is incompetent and you should never go back to them.

alanyu

by alanyu

Lina wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:24 pm
LekkerBraai wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:56 pm
jch3n wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:53 pm
LekkerBraai wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:48 pm
That's a very unqualified blanket statement. Trek doesn't even make a 57 Emonda. You really ought to be looking at specific geometry charts based on your fit measurements. One brand's 57 may be another brand's 58, or 56, etc, so you can't just say get a 57.

And, hate to be a downer, but you should probably just give up on the integrated/semi-integrated handlebars. Even if you found an option, the chances of it integrating cleanly with your Emonda are slim to none, unless you're into custom 3d printing spacers and that type of stuff.
If I understood correctly, he meant that given my current bike's dimensions, the ideal size for that bike would have been 57.
Your fitter is incompetent and you should never go back to them.
+++.

A max load of spacers and a positive rising angle stem combo means the frame is way too low. Plus the stem is only 80 mm (+7 deg ~ 72 mm effective stem reach ) means the frame is too long. Too low and too long means Emonda is wrong for OP. OP needs an endurance geo bike such as Domane so that he can nicely have a normal length and negative angle stem, and even probably less spacers.

ms6073

by ms6073

LekkerBraai wrote: Just plugged your body measurements into Trek’s size tool. According to them you should be on a 60, not a 58. Although the top tube is longer, the reach is only 3mm extra but the 20mm extra stack would put the bars where you need them to be relative to the saddle.
Still trying to understand how someone who is 182 cm tall, with a 184 'wingspan', and 84 cm inseam needs an 8 cm stem?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

TLN

by TLN

ms6073 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:12 pm
LekkerBraai wrote: Just plugged your body measurements into Trek’s size tool. According to them you should be on a 60, not a 58. Although the top tube is longer, the reach is only 3mm extra but the 20mm extra stack would put the bars where you need them to be relative to the saddle.
Still trying to understand how someone who is 182 cm tall, with a 184 'wingspan', and 84 cm inseam needs an 8 cm stem?
I can think of either skewed proportions(I admit I haven't checked inseam and other measurements), or being very non-flexible

I'm also not sure why would person above recommend 60cm frame for someone 182cm tall.

I would consider myself not very flexible (think of week in hospital due to back problems) and I'm riding "typical" 60cm race frame with a few spacers. Except that I'm 193cm with 120mm stem (tempted to get a longer stem TBH).
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

alanyu wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:40 pm
OP needs an endurance geo bike such as Domane so that he can nicely have a normal length and negative angle stem, and even probably less spacers.

A 58cm Domane with a -7deg 90mm stem, ~77mm reach bars, ~25mm in spacers (including the headset cover) would be about right. 90mm stem on a 58cm wouldn't be my choice aesthetically, but he's stuck with it. There aren't really any endurance frames with shorter reach and enough stack...

Based on the fit and geo, he currently has 42mm in spacers on the Emonda, but the actual spacer stack is 40mm + 7mm for the cable management cover. The bottom spacer does cut into the virtual frame stack height though, so that may explain the discrepancy.
Attachments
emonda-lol1.png
domane-lol1.png

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ms6073 wrote:

People like the dude in this photo exist.
Attachments
ow-ow-ow.png

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

TLN wrote:I'm also not sure why would person above recommend 60cm frame for someone 182cm tall.
I wouldn’t. But the height of the OP is listed as 186cm, which according to Trek suggests a 60cm. A smidge smaller at 184cm drops the recommended size to 58cm. The difference in reach is a mere 3mm but it’s 20mm higher up front.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:25 am
ms6073 wrote:

People like the dude in this photo exist.
Hm, how can this guy, in the pic, not be super cramper holding the drops?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:58 am

Hm, how can this guy, in the pic, not be super cramper holding the drops?

I really doubt he uses the drops much.

jlok

by jlok

ms6073 wrote:
Maybe due to past injuries causing inflexible back, maybe short arms, maybe short torso and long neck.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com