Is there such a thing as an integrated handlebars and stem with a positive stem rise?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LekkerBraai

by LekkerBraai

Recently got a bike fit with the following geometry:

Handlebar width: 42
Handlebar reach: 80
Stem length: 80
Stem rise: 7 degree

Curious if there are integrated bar and stems on the market that have these dimensions.

Thanks!
Last edited by LekkerBraai on Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Euhm are u sure its rise? Because you can just add spacers to get the correct height.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

LekkerBraai wrote:Recently got a bike fit with the following geometry:

Handlebar width: 42
Handlebar reach: 80
Stem length: 80
Stem rise: 7%

Curious if there are integrated bar and stems on the market that have these dimensions.

Thanks!
Sounds like you’re trying to get the best fit on a frame that is too low at the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Singular

by Singular

Cervelo S5...? ;)

DaveS

by DaveS

Rise would normally be expressed in degrees, not percent. With integrated bars, most are -6 to -10 and rarely are there angle options. If you can't make that work with spacers, you've got the wrong frame or a bad fit. I'm 168cm tall and use a 10cm saddle to bar drop. My bars are -7 and I use the 10mm headset cover, plus one 10mm spacer. 110mm stem length and 80mm bar reach. I'd be banging my knees on the bar when standing with an 80mm stem length.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

It sounds like the output from your bike fit was not entirely helpful in practice.

Stem rise/drop is not expressed in percent, but in degrees. This allows your intrepid bike fitter to use the head angle of your chosen frame and the recommended stem length to provide you with a rise/drop in percent. For an integrated bar this will need to be looked at together with the bar's reach.

The stack of your chosen frame, including spacers, can be used to find a suitable integrated bar. If in fact your chosen frame is too low, even once you add spacers, then you need a separate bar and stem. You'll need to invert the stem to get a positive stem angle. It may not look good, although I do see plenty of people ride like that, so it's nothing to be ashamed of. Otherwise, you'll need to get more flexible.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

V3Rs

by V3Rs

Most everyone is riding with an upward stem angle:

Assuming most headtube angles are around 73 degrees, you would need a minus 17 degree stem
in order to have a flat stem...

marsa

by marsa

A slope (rise) of 7% means an angle of 4 degree just FYI. But I guess it's a typo.

LouisN

by LouisN

Yeah sounds like rise (from horizontal). What would be helpful to know is the head tube angle to calculate wich degree would be spot on. Lots of modern small bikes have 71 degrees, taller ones, yes, around 72-73.

Louis :)

LekkerBraai

by LekkerBraai

Sorry for the confusion, was meant to be 7degrees (not percent) rise.

Just wondering if there is an integrated or semi integrated handlebars that have a rise instead of being flat or negative.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

A +7deg 80mm stem is the same as a -7deg 80mm stem + 20mm in spacers.

If you can't add 20mm in spacers, then you goofed somewhere down the line.

Also hardly anyone makes integrated barstems with the equivalent of an 80mm stem and 80mm reach bars. You might find a 90mm stem, 70mm reach barstem combo though. You certainly won't find one with a positive rise...that's not the target market.

nikospeed

by nikospeed

LekkerBraai wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:35 am
Sorry for the confusion, was meant to be 7degrees (not percent) rise.

Just wondering if there is an integrated or semi integrated handlebars that have a rise instead of being flat or negative.
Hmmm...when your b/f result calls for a total reach of 160mm and 7° rise (assume that's on top of your current spacer stack), I'd say
- the current bike is on the edge if being too long (long reach)
- the current bike might be (depending on current spacer stack) too low/aggressive (low stack).
What bike is it that you have been fitted on and what spacers are installed? Asking as looking for a different bike/frame might be a smarter option...

Cheers
Niko

V3Rs

by V3Rs

Since the majority of stems have a 7 degree rise, would that not be the case with integrated bar/stems?

nikospeed

by nikospeed

Maybe I misunderstood - but aren't those stems MINUS 7° and the OP is looking for an integrated b/stem with PLUS 7°???

DaveS

by DaveS

V3Rs wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:13 pm
Since the majority of stems have a 7 degree rise, would that not be the case with integrated bar/stems?
With stems, you just flip it. Most are used as -7, not +7. With one piece bar/stem the bars would be upside down. It's apparently not practical to make both plus and minus models.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com