Is there such a thing as an integrated handlebars and stem with a positive stem rise?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Daneincph wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:07 pm
Look up Wilier J-bar. Integrated and looks like positive rise.

https://wilier.com/en/world/equipment/j ... -handlebar
This barstem is pretty close, but weighs 390g and the effective rise doesn’t look to be enough. It also seems to carry an MSRP of 1000 Euros…wtf.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

or maybe buy , have made something that fit you
ffs even for today fred world it is massively poor fit

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jih

by jih

There's nothing wrong with seaparate bars and stem, especially for more unusual fits like this. Integrated cover the 70-90% of the market, but there's no way a one-piece combination could be made for everyone.

Just enjoy your separate bar and stem. You'll be able to angle your bars up and down too, which is a bonus.

The only real benefit from integrated is aero and looks, and with an upright position you're not going to be especially aero anyway. That's fine, just enjoy the ride and work on flexibility over time if you want aero gains.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Just plugged your body measurements into Trek’s size tool. According to them you should be on a 60, not a 58. Although the top tube is longer, the reach is only 3mm extra but the 20mm extra stack would put the bars where you need them to be relative to the saddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lina

by Lina

jih wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:41 am
There's nothing wrong with seaparate bars and stem, especially for more unusual fits like this. Integrated cover the 70-90% of the market, but there's no way a one-piece combination could be made for everyone.

Just enjoy your separate bar and stem. You'll be able to angle your bars up and down too, which is a bonus.

The only real benefit from integrated is aero and looks, and with an upright position you're not going to be especially aero anyway. That's fine, just enjoy the ride and work on flexibility over time if you want aero gains.
And considering most integrated bars are simply not available in narrow sizes the aero benefits are questionable at best.

LekkerBraai

by LekkerBraai

Thanks for all the advice, guys!

As it seems there are no integrated bars with a neutral or positive angle,are there semi-integrated options that any of you know of? Discussed in this article from Bike Radar https://www.bikeradar.com/features/road ... ight-ones/

Specifically this one - Felt AR: Image

Another option I just found is this one - GIANT CONTACT SL AERO STEM: https://mikesbikes.com/products/giant-c ... ealth-stem

Curious if there are other two-piece "aero" options on the market.
Last edited by LekkerBraai on Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LekkerBraai

by LekkerBraai

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:26 pm
So let’s cut to the chase. An 80mm stem (w/80mm bars) with a +7deg rise plus that many spacers on a 58cm Emonda is utterly inappropriate. If the fitter has done his job correctly, that means you bought the wrong bike for your morphological condition. Your fit is even on the upper extreme for most endurance frame geometries.

You will not find an integrated bar that will give you the necessary grip x/y position…you don’t have enough steerer left to go with something like a -7deg 90mm stem / 70mm bar equivalent.

So you’re stuck with this kind of setup unless you suddenly become more flexible and are able to both get lower while also hinging at your hips rather than painfully curling your back/spine. Your next bike should have a frame with ~20mm shorter reach and ~40mm higher stack.
Interesting perspective, thanks!

According to my fitter (they seem to be a very reputableout fit in my area), my dimensions are "about average" but he would have recommended to go with an 57cm frame if I was buying new bike.

I am working on flexibility though, so I should be able to fit the setup that I ultimatel want.

TLN

by TLN

LekkerBraai wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:24 pm
Not that many, since you have to route cables through the top.

But as an example, BMC have IMC stem and handlebars, and have 0deg version, they use it on Gravel bikes. It should be compatible with Teammachine/Roadmachine as well, just a different angle: https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/intl_en/gravel

It's on URS:

ICS MTT stem angle: 0°
330 g (stem)

URS 01 is compatible with any ICS cockpit configuration using the dedicated topcones (ICS Carbon, ICS CArbon Aero, ICS Aero, ICS2, ICS01, ICS01 0 Degrees, ICS MTT Stem).*
Last edited by TLN on Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

LekkerBraai

by LekkerBraai

jih wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:41 am

100%, nothing wrong with separate bars and stem. I probably should have been clearer up front, I just enjoy the "aero" look and wanted to explore potential options for my specific geeomety setup. Given it doesnt seem feasible, I am also looking for semi-integrated solutions (2-piece aero), but there doesn't seem to be a lot of them out there!

LekkerBraai

by LekkerBraai

TLN wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:31 pm
LekkerBraai wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:24 pm
Not that many, since you have to route cables through the top.

But as an example, BMC have IMC stem and handlebars, and have 0deg version, they use it on Gravel bikes. It should be compatible with Teammachine/Roadmachine as well, just a different angle: https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/intl_en/gravel

It's on URS:

ICS MTT stem angle: 0°
330 g (stem)

URS 01 is compatible with any ICS cockpit configuration using the dedicated topcones (ICS Carbon, ICS CArbon Aero, ICS Aero, ICS2, ICS01, ICS01 0 Degrees, ICS MTT Stem).*
The BMW stuff is interesting, looks great! Are you referring to this stem, crorrect? https://www.racycles.com/product/detail/19193

LekkerBraai

by LekkerBraai

-
Last edited by LekkerBraai on Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LekkerBraai

by LekkerBraai

ultimobici wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:07 am
Just plugged your body measurements into Trek’s size tool. According to them you should be on a 60, not a 58. Although the top tube is longer, the reach is only 3mm extra but the 20mm extra stack would put the bars where you need them to be relative to the saddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting, because the fitter told me, ideally I needed a 57 frame size!

jch3n

by jch3n

LekkerBraai wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:48 pm
That's a very unqualified blanket statement. Trek doesn't even make a 57 Emonda. You really ought to be looking at specific geometry charts based on your fit measurements. One brand's 57 may be another brand's 58, or 56, etc, so you can't just say get a 57.

And, hate to be a downer, but you should probably just give up on the integrated/semi-integrated handlebars. Even if you found an option, the chances of it integrating cleanly with your Emonda are slim to none, unless you're into custom 3d printing spacers and that type of stuff.

LekkerBraai

by LekkerBraai

jch3n wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:53 pm
LekkerBraai wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:48 pm
That's a very unqualified blanket statement. Trek doesn't even make a 57 Emonda. You really ought to be looking at specific geometry charts based on your fit measurements. One brand's 57 may be another brand's 58, or 56, etc, so you can't just say get a 57.

And, hate to be a downer, but you should probably just give up on the integrated/semi-integrated handlebars. Even if you found an option, the chances of it integrating cleanly with your Emonda are slim to none, unless you're into custom 3d printing spacers and that type of stuff.
If I understood correctly, he meant that given my current bike's dimensions, the ideal size for that bike would have been 57.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TLN

by TLN

LekkerBraai wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:39 pm

The BMW stuff is interesting, looks great! Are you referring to this stem, crorrect? https://www.racycles.com/product/detail/19193
Yes. I think you linked old version of ICS stem. Newer version have different spacers, but idea is the same.
Idea is basically the same, cables routed under stem, then go outside of handlebars. BMC have nice groove, so handlebars are round even with cables in there. Obviously you can use aero handlebars and route cables neatly.
Frop top of my head: Specialzied, BMC, Orbea use very similar idea, and it works. BMC offers 0 degree stem, Orbea might have MTB stem that can do the same.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc