Vitus Vitesse evo (disc) mechanical cable routing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xeonrs3000

by xeonrs3000

Does anyone have a Vitus Vitesse Evo with mechanical shifting and disc brakes? I'm building one with ultegra r8020, and I'm wondering about the cable routing. There is a cable guide near the BB for the FD but nothing for the RD.

https://vitusbikes.com/products/vitus-v ... meset-2022
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0365/ ... 1613472893

The only thing that seems to make sense is full length housing for the RD above the BB and "normal" routing under the BB for the FD with a ferrule (cable stop) in the port on the downtube (near the headtube). I built it like that and it seems to work well, but still I wonder if I did it correctly.

- full length housing for the RD, really? The hole near the RD is too large for a ferrule.
- the ferrule for the FD shifter cable does not sit snugly in the port on the downtube. The hole is too small to properly fit a ferrule in there. Without a ferrule, the cable just slides into the frame, so that doesn't work either. The cable guide under the BB seems for just the front derailleur cable without housing (edit: maybe I'wrong here, it might be that I can get an outer cable through that guide).

The frame comes with a set of rubber grommets for Di2 but nothing that looks like something to hold ferrules. You can see all the bits and pieces here: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/be/ ... prod204012

Thanks.
Last edited by xeonrs3000 on Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wilwil

by wilwil

I have a ti frame that has full length housing to the RD it runs under the crank spindle casing. The FD is like yours I think. The outer cable exits the downtube above the BB shell and curves round to a cable stop in between the chain stays. Rear mechs always have an integrated cable stop front mechs don't. If I had new Shimano FD I wouldnt have needed the cable stop as it has an integrated cable stop. I have Campag and they dont do it for some reason.

wilwil

by wilwil

wilwil wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:19 pm
double post

Nickldn

by Nickldn

I have a Vitus XZ1 and the frame has cable stops at the points of entry. If you don't have these included with your frameset you'll need to ask Vitus if they are available.

As @wilwil said, if you have R8020 the FD and RD have integrated cable stops, so you should not need a full length outer.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

xeonrs3000

by xeonrs3000

Nickldn wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:35 pm
I have a Vitus XZ1 and the frame has cable stops at the points of entry.
Are you sure about that? The drawings I found on their website for the ZX1 do not show them. The drawing mentions a BB cable guide for the FD but not for the RD, similar to mine (https://vitusbikes.com/collections/zx1/ ... meset-2022). Surely you can't be running an inner cable through the frame and around the BB without any kind of guide to hold it in place? It would slowly grind into your frame or into the plastic sleeve around your BB?

Also, the kit with grommets seems very similar to what I have: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-zx-1-evo ... 21-present

Or maybe are we talking a different model year perhaps?

thanks

rwoofer

by rwoofer

I have just built two Vitus Vitesse Evos (the ones going cheap on Wiggle). The rear cable goes through the cable guide ( two small holes about a cm or so apart) and continues down the chainstay. Should be obvious from looking at the guide.

rwoofer

by rwoofer

SOrry, just realised mine is the older frame, but from the pics it looks like the same cable guide.

xeonrs3000

by xeonrs3000

rwoofer wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:21 pm
I have just built two Vitus Vitesse Evos (the ones going cheap on Wiggle). The rear cable goes through the cable guide ( two small holes about a cm or so apart) and continues down the chainstay. Should be obvious from looking at the guide.
I don't see that on my bike. The cable guide is really just for 1 cable (front derailleur).

Taking a closer look at that cable guide, it looks like it would be large enough to accept an outer cable though. So what I'm starting to think is that it's all designed to run full length outer cable housing from the shifters to both RD and FD (as others have said, r8000 has an integrated cable stop on the FD). That would explain my ill-fiting cable stop in the port on the downtube for the FD cable.

Thanks.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

xeonrs3000 wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:56 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:35 pm
I have a Vitus XZ1 and the frame has cable stops at the points of entry.
Are you sure about that? The drawings I found on their website for the ZX1 do not show them. The drawing mentions a BB cable guide for the FD but not for the RD, similar to mine (https://vitusbikes.com/collections/zx1/ ... meset-2022).
Yes, I'm very sure thank you, built the bike myself with Campy mechanical. Not likely to forget that. :D I have the previous gen ZX1 CRS, so we are talking about a different bike though.

Yet, the cable guide kit for your 2022 Vitesse frames will allow for both mechanical Di2. Description on Wiggle website seems quite upfront about this:

"This frame cable guide kit is perfect for riders who own a Vitus Vitesse EVO road bike, as it allows for easy replacement of your lost or worn-out existing cable guides as well as enabling riders to switch from electric to mechanical cables and vice versa."

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-vitesse- ... 21-present
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Looking a bit more at the Wiggle photo of the cabling kit, it seems the bit of plastic which comes up from the BB guide (arrowed in picture
below) would be for the FD cable inner:
Screenshot_20220930_202011_Chrome.jpg

xeonrs3000

by xeonrs3000

I took another proper look at that BB cable guide, and figured it out. That cable guide is front derailleur only but doubles as a cable stop. So, the proper routing is:

- RD: full length outer cable housing from the shifter to the rear derailleur.
- FD: almost full length outer cable housing from the shifter to the BB cable guide, and then a small piece of inner cable only (or with a sleeve) to the front deraillleur.

Getting the FD cable properly seated in the BB cable guide and then routed further to the front derailleur took me about an hour of fiddling :-( Anyway. It seems to work properly now, but it was surprising coming from a frame with more traditional routing. Also not looking forward to change the cables on this bike next year or so...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wilwil

by wilwil

I have a bit of an arc in the FD outer where it exits the down tube and goes to the cable stop which isn't ideal. It can't be pulled flat against the frame