Light but upright-ish

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

blk

by blk

I'm about to turn 40 and am losing a lot of flexibility despite my best efforts. My Izalco Max is pretty uncomfortable these days and I'm thinking of starting over with a bit more upright position - not as extreme as some of the Domane/Roubaix configs you see out there; somewhere in the middle.

I'm not srue what bike to look at as a starting point. I have an older Focus Paralane that I like the fit of OK (BB feels a smidge high), but I'd like to leave it as configured, around 20 lbs. The contemporary endurance bikes all seem to come with shock absorbtion tech I don't need that adds weight.

Any other bikes you'd recommend for longer rides and stiffer bodies? I'm otherwise a light weight person that does a lot of climbing and want to keep playing to those strengths through my bike configuration. Thanks :)

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

Canyon Endurace, Seka Exceed, Giant Defy, BMC Road machine

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

The new Trek Domane SLR might be what you are looking for. It's gotten rid of the heavy shock obsorbtion and is lighter than previous versions.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

jch3n

by jch3n

You're not necessarily stuck moving to an endurance bike. There are lightweight race bikes with significantly higher stack than the Izalco Max. Cervelo R5, Enve Melee, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Orbea Orca, to name a few (all in the 570-580mm stack range).

daforce84

by daforce84

The Argon18 Krypton is a good option as well. I'm a fan of my "Krypton GF" frame. They also offer a "pro" frame which is even lighter.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Mocs123 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:01 pm
The new Trek Domane SLR might be what you are looking for. It's gotten rid of the heavy shock obsorbtion and is lighter than previous versions.

I'm a Trek stan, but the new lighter Domane is still pretty heavy.

TLN

by TLN

Cervelo soloist, orbea orca = basically 10-15mm bigger stack compared to race bikes. (Sorry, im comparing my size, 60cm). Still aggressive headtube angle and short trail.
Bmc Roadmachine (1st gen especially), Cannondale Synapse are both "sporty endurance" bikes, with no extra suspension parts. Not as aggressive as bikes above, but snappy for sure

My wifes Synapse Hi-Mod (link below) is probably under 7 kilos in size 56, without pedals with regular 45mm wheels after I got new barstem. No weightweenie components at all.

I would look not just into stack/reach, but also at angles and trail.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

clu

by clu

Cervelo Caledonia perhaps?

hartox

by hartox

Basso Astra

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

ax lightness vial evo disc
canyon endurance
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

req110

by req110

Pinarello Dogma. With same reach is offering me 1.5cm more stack over my SL7! Needless to say that spacers on Dogma are built to look good. So having like 2.5cm spacers is ok!

On the other hand SuperSix Evo 2021 spacers are ugly and there is extremely low amount of cockpit combinations your can use on it (from the design perspective i mean)
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

iamraymond

by iamraymond

You already have a light, upright bike in your stable. What's holding you back from dropping weight the Paralane? You can easily get that to 7.0kg. With my Hylix carbon post, Farsports Feders, Kalloy Uno stem, EXS Cycling carbon bar, I'm sitting at 7.0kg with Ultegra Di2. Change the heavy fork to an Enve unit, and you're below 6.8kg. If you have the older Paralane, it would be the lighter 930g frame.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Something that you should consider, a race bike will ride different from an endurance bike.
An endurance bike probably would ride a bit more "friendly". You could also run your Paralane with a deeper drop stem.
A longer stem is a better idea using than a race bike with high row of spacers and short stem.
It could be a good idea to play around with stems to see where your perfect position would be before you go all in for a new bike.
If we had been neighbours you could have loaned stems from me. I think i have around 25 now.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

If you are having issues handling significant drop as on your Izalco, I think it's a mistake to go halfway. Another racebike with slighly higher stack, might not satisfy. A couple of centimeters won't solve your issue.

As for your Paralane which you like, you will not find anything much lighter and as upright. It's a well loved bike by many. Just get another one and set it up aggressively, or some similar true endurance bike.

I've mentioned it before on this website, nothing is more racy, lighter, more comfortable, and more upright than a Parlee Altum. But I think the model may be discontinued. But that's a pure road bike as the tire limit is 28mm actual.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.