Campag 12sp cassette - crap quality or counterfeit?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrfox

by mrfox

I've been a Campagnolo fanboi ever since the days of the 10 speed Daytona stuff, so it pains me to write this...

I'm not impressed with their 12sp cassette, to put it mildly. For starters, the tolerances are miserable. The 2 groups with the largest sprockets slide onto the freehub body as they are supposed to, but the individual cogs - particularly the 16 - require copious grease and convincing to go on. The difference is big enough to show up clearly on my cheapo calipers.

This predictably results in gauges and bitemarks on the freehub.

Worse, after only maybe 1000km, the teeth look fairly chewed up. The coating on the 17-19-22 is blistering and flaking off where the chain engages.

I take meticulous care of my drivedrain, and the bike was only ridden in dry weather. My 11sp sprockets - the presumably less-durable titanium ones, no less - look far better after many times the km I put on this cassette.

As indicated in the title, I almost can't believe Campy would put their name on this product, and I now suspect I may have gotten a counterfeit article (I bought from a reputable seller, or so I though (Planet Cyclery)).

Am I being paranoid? Is what I'm seeing normal? What are other folks' experiences with durability?

Thanks!

(Edit to add: This is Super Record.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

I have 5 pair of wheels with campy hubs and chorus and SR 12s cassettes. I am not having any of the issues you describe.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

E-mail Campy if you haven't already, but I haven't experienced this either. I have multiple Campy SR 12spd cassettes.

Leon

by Leon

Running two 12spd Campy cassettes here. No issues. Your pictures are quite shocking.... I guess this looks in the direction of counterfeit... What chain are you using? Where did you buy this cassette? At a Campy dealer?
Ride bikes, not tanks!

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

i have 3 cassettes, none of them has what you shown in that last photo.

with regards to bite-marks how much torque did you use for the cassette cap?
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Is Campagnolo that big for counterfeits to flourish or are cheats that desperate?

I can't see any fix to prevent indentations from single cogs. It's why Campagnolo elected to have deeper freehubs.

wilwil

by wilwil

Ive fitted two Chorus and one SR 12s cassettes and have never experienced any of these issues.

mrfox

by mrfox

Thanks for the responses. Glad to see the consesus that this is not normal for a SR12 cassette - I must have gotten a lemon, or an outright fake.
What chain are you using? Where did you buy this cassette?
Campagnolo everything.

I had to cobble the groupset together from various sources due to availability issues, but all bought from reputable sellers. The cassette came from Planet Cyclery.
how much torque did you use for the cassette cap?
40 Nm. Always with a torque wrench.
I can't see any fix to prevent indentations from single cogs.
I guess the bite marks are nothing out of the ordinary, but the longitudinal scratches halfway down the freehub body from the tabs on the cogs aren't normal. That's from putting the cassette on and taking it off, not from use. It's like that for all the 4 tabs.

I'll be reaching out to Campy. Will update here once I hear back.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

But, which wheel is that. All my Campy cassette bodies are silver.

mrfox

by mrfox

joeyb1000 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:46 am
But, which wheel is that. All my Campy cassette bodies are silver.
LightBicycle with a Carbon-Ti hub. (I should've been clearer earlier - with "Campagnolo everything" I was referring to the groupset, not wheels/hubs/frame.)

It's possible that the Carbon-Ti freehub isn't exactly to Campag spec, of course. I'm blaming the cassette for the poor fit since the huge variation between sprockets seems very odd.

Orbital

by Orbital

My carbon-ti hubs have no issue with Campag cassette.

gorkypl

by gorkypl

This is my personal sr12 cassette after ~5000km, bought from a 100% legitimate source.
Measurements are also consitent with yours (around 29.40 and 29.49 mms) with no issues (scratches, dents) on Campagnolo Bora WTO freehub.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

^SR cassette 6000km
Used Epic Ride for abt first 3000km
Switched to MSWax after reading reviews abt both from Friction

^ new SR cassette on another wheelset

Above is just a data point from my exp

No issues as OP described

Leon

by Leon

I have a SR cassette with 7000km on it on the same SR chain. Although I clean it regularly I didn't see any wear as I see here. But let me take a closer look and take a picture when I'm at it again.
Ride bikes, not tanks!

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

My SR 12s 11-32 cassette after more than 10k km with second chain looks ok without any damages. Will post pics later.

My humble guess is the freehub may be out of Campy specs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com