Specialized S-works SL7 vs Pinarello Dogma F Comparison

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

extrusionedwin

by extrusionedwin

F12 is more smooth and comfortable to climb. Tarmac SL7 sitffness is too high, you need a pro legs to handle SL7. For my suggestion, there are more better bikes like V3RS or Cervelo R5, these are totally different comparing with SL7. So fo my suggest just get some bike and test it before to buy it. For my opinion the best of the best is Colnago V3RS>Merida Scultura Team>Cervelo R5>F12>SL7, as I said, for SL7 you need to be a pro, or it will be hard to handle it...........

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I have never ridden the Merida, but all the other bikes and would easily take the SL7 over all of them.
It's not hard to handle, you don't need to be pro. That's absurd.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxima

by maxima

the Dogma F12 will be unforgiving to bad roads and are way stiffer than S-Works SL7. The S-Works SL7 is way more comfortable than a Dogma F12. The Latest Dogma F fix the issue and for thos who upgraded from F12 to F will probably tell you so. I don't think you be wrong with either Dogma F or SL7 S-Works. I will not buy a Dogma F12 or even consider it at all, unless you ride on smooth Flat road all year round. I do not think F12 climbs better than a SL7 or a Dogma F. If you like the special curve of Dogma, get the latest Dogma F........don't waste your $$ on a F12

maxima

by maxima

extrusionedwin wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:12 am
F12 is more smooth and comfortable to climb. Tarmac SL7 sitffness is too high, you need a pro legs to handle SL7. For my suggestion, there are more better bikes like V3RS or Cervelo R5, these are totally different comparing with SL7. So fo my suggest just get some bike and test it before to buy it. For my opinion the best of the best is Colnago V3RS>Merida Scultura Team>Cervelo R5>F12>SL7, as I said, for SL7 you need to be a pro, or it will be hard to handle it...........
i died trying to climb with a F12!! Maybe I don't have the "pro legs"...mostly ride on flats with small hills. The latest Dogma F changed all that....it is a better frame, it's more agile to climb and also comfortable on bad roads--> dogma F12 destory my arse on bad roads!! Beside the SL7 S-works are just as good but the Dogma felt more planted at high speed.....maybe it is heavier!!! :mrgreen: both are GOOD bikes and never wrong, it's the look you like?

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

I really have only one complaint about the SL7: it’s super stiff (as a race bike should be). It’s a great, well designed bike. There’s a reason it is so popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pesto13

by pesto13

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:45 pm
I really have only one complaint about the SL7: it’s super stiff (as a race bike should be). It’s a great, well designed bike. There’s a reason it is so popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
For me the Tarmac is fine in terms of stiffness as is a performance bike. obviously there are more complaints bikes out there.

pesto13

by pesto13

maxima wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:06 am
the Dogma F12 will be unforgiving to bad roads and are way stiffer than S-Works SL7. The S-Works SL7 is way more comfortable than a Dogma F12. The Latest Dogma F fix the issue and for thos who upgraded from F12 to F will probably tell you so. I don't think you be wrong with either Dogma F or SL7 S-Works. I will not buy a Dogma F12 or even consider it at all, unless you ride on smooth Flat road all year round. I do not think F12 climbs better than a SL7 or a Dogma F. If you like the special curve of Dogma, get the latest Dogma F........don't waste your $$ on a F12
For sure if I get it will be the Dogma F. I know some people in my area (all flat) that had the F12 and the SL7 and would say the majority preferred the SL7 all day.

Now my case is does the Dogma F meets or exceed the SL7 ride in general ? definitely for me the Dogma F aesthetics is the main reason why I would want that bike but since I see a lot of mixed reviews I don't see the point of getting a bike that is not as good as the SL7 only for aesthetics because I will hate to regret.

pesto13

by pesto13

maxima wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:06 am
For sure if I get it will be the Dogma F. I know some people in my area (all flat) that had the F12 and the SL7 and would say the majority preferred the SL7 all day.

Now my case is does the Dogma F meets or exceed the SL7 ride in general ? definitely for me the Dogma F aesthetics is the main reason why I would want that bike but since I see a lot of mixed reviews I don't see the point of getting a bike that is not as good as the SL7 only for aesthetics because I will hate to regret.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

pesto13 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:26 pm

Now my case is does the Dogma F meets or exceed the SL7 ride in general ?
Depend on the size as well. Anything below 52 would at least have better handling with Specialized, if not also softer ride, thanks to Specialized spec-ing small size specific fork for small bikes.
But Pinarello use the same 43mm fork offset for the whole size range. So, same fork stiffness for all. And small sizes suffer from more sluggish handling (high trail value).

https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/special ... -sl7-2021/
https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/pinarello-dogma-f-2022/

pesto13

by pesto13

Hexsense wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:50 pm
pesto13 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:26 pm

Now my case is does the Dogma F meets or exceed the SL7 ride in general ?
Depend on the size as well. Anything below 52 would at least have better handling with Specialized, if not also softer ride, thanks to Specialized spec-ing small size specific fork for small bikes.
But Pinarello use the same 43mm fork offset for the whole size range. So, same fork stiffness for all. And small sizes suffer from more sluggish handling (high trail value).

https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/special ... -sl7-2021/
https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/pinarello-dogma-f-2022/
I ride 52 on the Tarmac and If I buy Dogma I should be 50

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Tarmac size 52 have trail value= 58mm
Dogma F size 50 have trail value= 69mm
That's a big difference. In fact, 69mm trail is a higher value than most endurace bike size medium, and even higher than many gravel bike.

pesto13

by pesto13

Hexsense wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:17 pm
That's a big difference. In fact, 69mm trail is a higher value than most endurace bike size medium, and even higher than many gravel bike.
yeah that's a lot so correct me if I am wrong the tarmac will be better handling while the Dogma F will be more comfortable but less responsive?

:beerchug:

Hexsense

by Hexsense

at size 52 vs 50.
Tarmac : neutral trail value for road racing bike.
Dogma F: more stable and slower handling than usual road racing bike.

I won't say which one is better. Because it it can be subjective. Some people's 'stable' is another rider's 'sluggish'.
And one 'just right' can be another's 'too twitchy'.

justonwo

by justonwo

I haven't spent much time on a Tarmac, but I'm surprised at some of the comments about the F12. I've ridden a number of race bikes over the years and have many hours on my F12. I'm not usually one to proselytize about bike frames because I feel most of the major bike companies are making great bikes, but to me the F12 is a fantastically responsive and great-handling bike. I think most of the differences between the F12 and any other great racing bike comes down to splitting hairs. I would be very surprised to hear someone with significant time on an F12 describe it as sluggish. Perhaps it is but I haven't noticed anything notable compared to other bikes I've ridden. It handles like it's on rails when descending.

Also quite a comfortable ride for me, but the wheels and tires will get a lot of say in that department. As for the size, I ride 52 cm on Specialized and 51.5 on Pinarello. I wouldn't really feel the need to go the 50 cm. I don't feel like it's oversized compared to Specialized.
2020 F12 AXS Red (Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic
2024 Topstone Lab71 (Force/XX1, Terra CLX II)

Retired: 2014 and 2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

fbonde

by fbonde

Hexsense wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:17 pm
I'm considering the exact change. Do you know how much diff there is between a 53 dogma f and a 54 SL7 ?
insta: @fbonde

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com