All-road frame (35-38mm clearance)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chrisw91

by chrisw91

I'm looking at my next build & am thinking about the "ultimate" winter bike. Requirements are:
  • Comfortable clearance for a 34/35mm tyre, hence looking at a stated clearance of 35-38mm
  • Option for internal cable routing
  • Compatible with mechanical groupsets (currently running R9120 groupset, but may upgrade next year)
My interest has been piqued by the latest round of "gravel race" bikes, e.g. BMC Kaius, Factor Ostro Gravel. Also spotted the Fara F/AR which ticks a lot of boxes.

I'm also not averse to an Asian-direct frame option, but at first glance you're either looking at a 32mm max clearance, or a full-on gravel setup.

EDIT: Should also add, quite keen to stay off the beaten track. So not blown away by e.g. Aspero, Synapse or Domane

Any suggestions? Clearly being a WW forum, lighter is better!

TLN

by TLN

Orbea Orca OMR: fully internal routing, 35mm clearance (32 for OMX). Aggressive geometry (similar to race bikex with a tad higher stack). Wont fit 40c, so smaller than aspero and kaius
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jch3n

by jch3n

Your requirements are a bit confusing tbh. There are a lot of bikes with manufacturer stated clearance in the 34-36mm range. That means 4-6mm of clearance on both sides of the tire. Is that not comfortable enough? Do you ever plan to run tIres wider than 35mm? Any more, you're basically looking at Domane or gravel bikes in the 40-45mm range (race geometry or not).

Also are you looking for road race geometry or endurance geometry? Gravel race is ok but not "adventure" gravel? Do you need mudguard mounts if this is a winter bike? Carbon only or is steel and titanium ok (given that you said lighter is better)?

k33z

by k33z

https://superiorbikes.com/nl/2022/road-gravel

Same frame for road and gravel.

chrisw91

by chrisw91

jch3n wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:45 am
Your requirements are a bit confusing tbh. There are a lot of bikes with manufacturer stated clearance in the 34-36mm range. That means 4-6mm of clearance on both sides of the tire. Is that not comfortable enough? Do you ever plan to run tIres wider than 35mm? Any more, you're basically looking at Domane or gravel bikes in the 40-45mm range (race geometry or not).

Also are you looking for road race geometry or endurance geometry? Gravel race is ok but not "adventure" gravel? Do you need mudguard mounts if this is a winter bike? Carbon only or is steel and titanium ok (given that you said lighter is better)?
Fair challenge, maybe I was a bit vague. Looking at the racier end of geometry. I usually go smaller frame / longer stem due to short legs / long body needing more reach than stack, so many endurance frames are too tall for me. I'm happy with clip on guards so less issue there.

No problem with other materials. I've been looking at custom Ti as an option.

Tyre-wise, I'd like to be future-proof, with the option of a narrower gravel tyre (e.g. 38mm Terreno Dry) if I wanted.

recoilfx

by recoilfx

I know you mentioned no Domane, but this year Trek is offering Domane RSL, which is the pro version with reduced stack and longer reach. I also have short legs and long torso and I was seriously looking into it. I eventually settled on Chapter2 Koko, but that's because I don't have the requirement of fitting 38mm tires (32mm spec'ed on the Koko).

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

I'd get a Fairlight Strael, my gravel bike is a Secan and it's the best bike I've ever owned.

https://fairlightcycles.com/product/strael3-deposit/

Only thing is that it's external cabling but frankly that makes the mechanical groupset function better.

jch3n

by jch3n

Open U.P. is probably one of the OG gold standards here. Or just take your pick of gravel race bikes...

FWIW I was looking for something similar a while back and ended up ordering a Waltly custom titanium that roughly copied the Open U.P.'s geometry.

pmprego

by pmprego

Enve Melee also fits the bill.

chrisw91

by chrisw91

jch3n wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:59 am
Open U.P. is probably one of the OG gold standards here. Or just take your pick of gravel race bikes...

FWIW I was looking for something similar a while back and ended up ordering a Waltly custom titanium that roughly copied the Open U.P.'s geometry.
Some form of custom Ti is certainly appealing. Although the Open line-up is also calling to me.

Thanks for all the input on the thread - I know there's probably more options out there than I originally thought of, so probably back to the drawing/dreaming board for now.

rcrowley

by rcrowley

_Fully_ internal mechanical is rare-bordering-on-impossible, right?

The Open UP is internal from the head tube and great on the road. At 700c x 40mm clearance it's actually unimpressive as a gravel bike but meets your goals and then some.

One downside to beware on on an Open UP with mechanical shifting is the lack of barrel adjuster that's reachable while riding.

rwoofer

by rwoofer

CampagYOLO wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:03 pm
I'd get a Fairlight Strael, my gravel bike is a Secan and it's the best bike I've ever owned.

https://fairlightcycles.com/product/strael3-deposit/

Only thing is that it's external cabling but frankly that makes the mechanical groupset function better.
I bought a Secan in 2018 and in July received my 2022 Strael. Both are great bikes. Was out on the strael this morning equiped with 35mm GravelKings and mudguards.

andy4g63

by andy4g63

Canyon Ultimate.
It clears 36mm tires

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bluewhalejack

by bluewhalejack

My Canyon Ultimate (previous generation) runs 35mm gravel tire without any issue, the lastest gen with claimed bigger clearance should be fine with 35mm as well.