Magene L508 radar, an alternative to Garmin Varia

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bobbins

by bobbins

pritish8287 wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:56 pm
WAttsperkg wrote:I just received my L508 that I purchased from Aliexpress. It arrived in about 2 weeks to Toronto, Canada, no extra duties or taxes.

It feels pretty well made. The shiny, gloss exterior might scuff up easily though so time will tell. If you register for a free Magene account, you will get the ability to modify light settings for free using the Magene app.

I haven't had a chance to get out on the road to test it out yet but I am planning to do so this weekend. I think Magene could probably add the flashing blink pattern until the car passes with some future firmware update.

I am taking a calculated risk spending my money on the L508 instead of the Varia. Hopefully it won't disappoint. Rooting for the underdog.
Cool! I got inspired by OP and started searching frantically online and finally found one on eBay usa. It arrived last night. Hoping to try it out soon. So far I have been extremely happy with my varia rvr315 but i feel what gives Magene L508 an edge over rtl515 is 1. Smart brake sensing and 2. Light flashing to alert the driver as he approaches the rider. YouTube videos show these features especially 2nd one is but iffy - so hoping I can also get my friend to ride with me and make those observations!

On a personal note, i do find Magene’s build quality (electronic item, mount, rubber band) bit lower than Garmin’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Magene build the Wahoo KICKR amongst many (many!) other items for other third-parties, and that build quality is very very impressive.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

otnemem

by otnemem

So, now that the RTL515/516 is widely available for ~150€, how much sense does this still make?

miOdiO

by miOdiO

I am in the same position.
Get the tested and proved Varia or L508 with some new features.
I decided to wait for the Bryton Gardia to have more competiton and being able to decide between 3 devices.
Since it's freezing outside I don't need either device any time soon.

b5000

by b5000

I have the Magene L508. It's been great - can't believe that I rode for years without a radar - pairs easily with my Wahoo Bolt v2. I've never had the Garmin to compare it to but the brightness and functions have been great so far.

Greycat has a good description of the mounts on the previous comments - which I've found to be great and easy to use as well . So far its been a great device and the battery life is good. Really like the 5 min-no motion auto shut off. Would never ride without one these days.

if you are in the US its available on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Magene-Radar-Tai ... B0B9RWTXF2

b5000

by b5000

[double post]

bobones

by bobones

otnemem wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:24 am
So, now that the RTL515/516 is widely available for ~150€, how much sense does this still make?
Garmin, at least in the UK, have great after sale service, and that would always incline me in their direction. My most recent experience with Garmin support saw my 4 year old Edge 830 replaced for free after it suddenly began misbehaving, and I've had several other favourable encounters with them over the years.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

bobbins wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:06 pm
Magene build the Wahoo KICKR amongst many (many!) other items for other third-parties, and that build quality is very very impressive.
The same kickr that gets exchanged for warranty replacements like it's a $2 keychain? Whoever makes Garmin, TacX, and Wahoo products would be on my black list, if anything. QC of these brands seems to be non existent beyond cosmetics.

Attermann

by Attermann

I'm having some troubles with my Magene/magishine radar, I find it giving false warnings, as in nothing has ever been behind me that it needs to warn me about, and when I have another rider behind me, it will show me there is a car, but when the car is being covered by the rider, it will begin to say nothing is there, where Garmin just holds that there is a car a bit longer, so you don't get the radar saying the car is gone. Even thou it's still there. And how far away it can detect a car is a lot worse than Garmin, so anyone else have these problems?

speedkillz

by speedkillz

I have the Varia 510. I tried the Magene L508 for a few days when it started shipping to the USA. I returned it due to the L508 having false negative reporting of car traffic from behind. In some cases, the car was right on me or just passed me before I got a warning on my bike computer. I felt less safe with it on my bike. Never had the same issue with the Garmin Varia.