Magene L508 radar, an alternative to Garmin Varia

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Treptay

by Treptay

I had two busses overtake me today, and I didn't hear a single one comming, so I am too thinking about buying a radar.
I can find the RTL516 for about 165 euros in the EU, and the Magene is a bout 150.
What is really of putting to me, is the micro-usb on the garmins (except the action cam radar thingy, but that is too expensive).
Bryton is also developing one, they had it at eurobike, and I hope garmin updates their desing too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pritish8287

by pritish8287

For most riders who don’t have a radar, any reason why you wouldn’t consider varia 315? I am using varia 315 for almost 2 months and it has been great. Sure it beeps a lot and sure it doesn’t have a light or a recording system but it fitted my budget and now I don’t have to keep turning by head every few minutes to see if a vehicle is approaching me from behind or not. Battery life wise, it has lasted me 6 hours at a stretch - my longest ride since purchase. I haven’t tried with my phone. I use it with my 1030.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mocs123

by Mocs123

There is guy with my club that has the 315 and it works fine for him, but he has a light too, and having both strapped on his seatpost looks funny.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

pritish8287 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:56 am
For most riders who don’t have a radar, any reason why you wouldn’t consider varia 315?
There sure is: I can't think of a situation where I'd want radar with no blinky or a blinky with no radar. So they might as well be combined so I don't have to fiddle with two mounts or charge two separate devices.

The only downside is that if your rear light stops working, your radar may quit as well. But that's simply not a big deal for me. The worst case is that I'll use a spare rear light while I wait a few weeks for a warranty replacement. Not a big deal.

On balance, combining radar and a rear light is a huge win for me. YMMV.

warthog101

by warthog101

youngs_modulus wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:50 am

There sure is: I can't think of a situation where I'd want radar with no blinky or a blinky with no radar. So they might as well be combined so I don't have to fiddle with two mounts or charge two separate devices.

Ditto.
I like that the varia varies its flash pattern as a vehicle approaches too.

pritish8287

by pritish8287

youngs_modulus wrote:
pritish8287 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:56 am
For most riders who don’t have a radar, any reason why you wouldn’t consider varia 315?

The only downside is that if your rear light stops working, your radar may quit as well. But that's simply not a big deal for me. The worst case is that I'll use a spare rear light while I wait a few weeks for a warranty replacement. Not a big deal.

Offcourse Garmin RTL515 is better. But then why not rtl 715 - you get radar, light and camera to record irate drivers!
My point is for riders who are concerned about vehicle approaching from behind and want a radar, 315 is a slightly economical option over 515 or 715. Especially when Magene and Bryton radars are not easily available in respective markets.
And yes, a radar and a light may look and combining them makes sense. Surely 515’s battery has to be bigger than 315 since it has to power radar and light. Magene and Bryton’s biggest advantage is they are priced around 315 but offer 515’s functionality or even more.

kode54

by kode54

Mocs123 wrote:There is guy with my club that has the 315 and it works fine for him, but he has a light too, and having both strapped on his seatpost looks funny.
I stick my 315 in my rear jersey pocket on solo rides or with a fellow rider. In group rides larger than 3, I don’t take it with me as it is a bit annoying
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

req110

by req110

kode54 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:30 am
Mocs123 wrote:There is guy with my club that has the 315 and it works fine for him, but he has a light too, and having both strapped on his seatpost looks funny.
I stick my 315 in my rear jersey pocket on solo rides or with a fellow rider. In group rides larger than 3, I don’t take it with me as it is a bit annoying
are you riding slammed or upright?
i destroyed my mount once and rode home with radar in my jersey and it works, but i didn't have much trust for it.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

pritish8287

by pritish8287

So do I. But I ride solo and because I don’t have to look at my backside, I don’t mind. The 3 devices (computer, light and radar) do their jobs and that’s what matters to me the most, not the aesthetics per say. The weight difference between 315 and 515 is 20 grams according to Garmin. My smart rear light, which has a brake sensing and auto off feature weighs 42grams, so I do add additional 22 grams. I do have bunch of non smart rear lights, whose weight is about 20-22grams, so almost net zero weight gain.

req110

by req110

So garmin will provide me with replacement rtl515 after 28 days of warranty case... I was expecting refund, but no luck. Seems like I will skip magene product this time.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

pritish8287

by pritish8287

req110 wrote:So garmin will provide me with replacement rtl515 after 28 days of warranty case... I was expecting refund, but no luck. Seems like I will skip magene product this time.
That’s good. Hopefully you’ll get a correctly functioning product this time.

WAttsperkg

by WAttsperkg

I just received my L508 that I purchased from Aliexpress. It arrived in about 2 weeks to Toronto, Canada, no extra duties or taxes.

It feels pretty well made. The shiny, gloss exterior might scuff up easily though so time will tell. If you register for a free Magene account, you will get the ability to modify light settings for free using the Magene app.

I haven't had a chance to get out on the road to test it out yet but I am planning to do so this weekend. I think Magene could probably add the flashing blink pattern until the car passes with some future firmware update.

I am taking a calculated risk spending my money on the L508 instead of the Varia. Hopefully it won't disappoint. Rooting for the underdog.

andy4g63

by andy4g63

WAttsperkg wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:20 pm
I just received my L508 that I purchased from Aliexpress. It arrived in about 2 weeks to Toronto, Canada, no extra duties or taxes.

It feels pretty well made. The shiny, gloss exterior might scuff up easily though so time will tell. If you register for a free Magene account, you will get the ability to modify light settings for free using the Magene app.

I haven't had a chance to get out on the road to test it out yet but I am planning to do so this weekend. I think Magene could probably add the flashing blink pattern until the car passes with some future firmware update.

I am taking a calculated risk spending my money on the L508 instead of the Varia. Hopefully it won't disappoint. Rooting for the underdog.
Please keep us posted 🙂

pritish8287

by pritish8287

WAttsperkg wrote:I just received my L508 that I purchased from Aliexpress. It arrived in about 2 weeks to Toronto, Canada, no extra duties or taxes.

Cool! I got inspired by OP and started searching frantically online and finally found one on eBay usa. It arrived last night. Hoping to try it out soon. So far I have been extremely happy with my varia rvr315 but i feel what gives Magene L508 an edge over rtl515 is 1. Smart brake sensing and 2. Light flashing to alert the driver as he approaches the rider. YouTube videos show these features especially 2nd one is but iffy - so hoping I can also get my friend to ride with me and make those observations!

On a personal note, i do find Magene’s build quality (electronic item, mount, rubber band) bit lower than Garmin’s.

pritish8287

by pritish8287

Alright.
Used it twice albeit on really short solo rides (12 miles ride). As mentioned before, I do find its build quality slightly lower grade than garmin’s. The locking mechanism feels “loose” compared to Garmin’s (when l508 is attached to its seatpost mount and / or when attached to Garmin’s seat post mount). Didn’t rattle though during the ride - so that’s a good sign. As far as radar detection goes, mostly it worked as expected. One thing I noticed when in stop-go situation is that when it detects a vehicle and if both vehicle and I came to stop and then started moving, the detection warning disappeared. I need to see if rvr315 does the same.
As far as the light feature goes, I’ll provide more feedback when I ride with my friend.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com