2022 Cervelo R5 / Caledonia 5 - Carbon Stem Recall (ST31 Stem)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hannawald

by hannawald

extrusionedwin wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:32 am
if you buy in France and go back home to USA, Cervelo will refused to provide the replacement in USA. So you need to go back to France for the replacement.
this is a shit but the local USA shop store doesn't care this.
Have you contacted Cervelo directly? I understand that lbs refuse to do it for you but Cervelo themselves should take care of you. Or you can ask french lbs and pay for shipping, which may be reasonable for such a small part. I have bought my frameset online via Jonito, german dealer, because our national dealer didn't have any, and so far Jonito is very helpful taking care of me. Unfortunatelly the replacement should be available in November so I should not ride my bike until November.
I guess this is one of the downsides owning a bike from a smaller brand. It is quite hard to source anything. Guys with Specialized have sometimes easier lives. Hopefully we don't end up like Canyon guys:)

extrusionedwin

by extrusionedwin

thanks for sharing this, I already contact with my shop store, and yes, I will need to pay the shipping for this small piece. The benefit of the rep. agents always put many unreasonable conditions to the end users if you're not buy locally close of your home. The first problem them don't give a shit if you're not buying them and go to buy some paralel bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

romanmoser

by romanmoser

honk honk

VvM

by VvM

I swapped the faceplate with the new faceplate. There is a gap between the back of faceplate and front of stemmount. According to the instructions this is normal and the gap on bottom and top should be equal/similar. Just doesn't look as smooth as it isn't flush. Anybody else having this gap too?

thebikemanguy

by thebikemanguy

VvM wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:31 pm
I swapped the faceplate with the new faceplate. There is a gap between the back of faceplate and front of stemmount. According to the instructions this is normal and the gap on bottom and top should be equal/similar. Just doesn't look as smooth as it isn't flush. Anybody else having this gap too?
Yes I confirmed with Cervelo that the new faceplate is intended to be installed with a gap (as opposed to the "gapless" old faceplate)

3xsu

by 3xsu

thebikemanguy wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:08 am
One annoying part of this recall is that only authorized Cervelo dealers are allowed to perform it. If you didn't buy your bike in-person, you can't just get the new faceplate shipped to you.
Extremely annoyed with this. Stem faceplates arrived this week so my husband took both his Caledonia 5 and my R5 to have the faceplate replaced on Thursday. We didn't get a chance to review the stem before our ride today and when we go grab our bikes, both our handlebars are off center (umm, that's why the lines are there) and the Garmin mount holder is loose. By halfway through the ride, my Garmin mount was bouncing around. It appears as though it was incorrectly installed. Not a difficult task, but this is why we build and maintain our own bikes, so if there's a complaint, we are the only ones to blame. Husband is still ranting about the carbon paste oozing everywhere :lol:

CarbonWorks

by CarbonWorks

Due to many e-mails we received concerning a Garmin- or Wahoo-mount for this stem/faceplate:

CarbonWorks does not have a special mount for this stem, but you can use the MasterMount at this stem.
The mount for the THM Tibia stem does not(!) fit, although it looks a little similar.
Simon
carbonworks.de

b5000

by b5000

3xsu - you are lucky that the shop was able to swap it out so quickly...even if the installation was shoddy. I'm still waiting on the part.....

meanwhile I got a email from cervelo offering me a 30$ credit to their webshop. Would really rather have the replacement part already...sigh.

Vinsanyon

by Vinsanyon

b5000 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:40 pm
Yes; the vertical slotted faceplate is the replacement. I just started the process with my local Cervelo dealer.

Will upload some photos of the inside of the faceplate when I get the new replacement. I suspect it simply has more contact surface area.

What is a bit of a snag is that the wahoo/ Garmin and light mount connector insert that works with the open faceplate is now useless for me and I'll have to get an insert connector for the vertical slotted faceplate. It's a small part and you can still use your computer and light mounts, but its the base accessory mount connector that needs to be swapped as well. They should really include this key part with the replacement stem faceplate. Following up with Cervelo about this detail to get some clarity.

Here is a photo of the redundant insert that works with the original faceplate: https://www.winterparkcycles.com/st31-l ... embly.html

This is the insert that works with the replacement vertical slotted faceplate: https://www.incycle.com/products/cervel ... -mount-004
I am interested in the recalled version of the open-face plate mount if you have no use for it!
Sent you an email.

b5000

by b5000

OK - update - shop called, replacement in, and got it all installed.

Cervelo also replaced the light / garmin / wahoo mount :thumbup: ! (whew)
Attachments
R5_faceplate.jpg
Last edited by b5000 on Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

b5000

by b5000

@Vinsanyon - The shop kept the open faceplate for warranty purposes.

I do have another extra stock 100mm carbon ST31 stem with the open faceplate if you are interested PM me (I needed a 110 for my fit so I didn't use the stock 100mm). Considering the safety issues and recall, I really wouldn't recommend using the open faceplate.

I was going to ebay it but I haven't got around to it - but its strange now considering the recall on the open faceplate - I plan to put a notice on the listing about the safety of using it and the recall or contact the online retailer that I bought the 110mm stem from and ask for a recall swap of the faceplate - so I can make it safe before I ebay it.

Vinsanyon

by Vinsanyon

b5000 wrote:@Vinsanyon - The shop kept the open faceplate for warranty purposes.

I do have another extra stock 100mm carbon ST31 stem with the open faceplate if you are interested PM me (I needed a 110 for my fit so I didn't use the stock 100mm). Considering the safety issues and recall, I really wouldn't recommend using the open faceplate.

I was going to ebay it but I haven't got around to it - but its strange now considering the recall on the open faceplate - I plan to put a notice on the listing about the safety of using it and the recall or contact the online retailer that I bought the 110mm stem from and ask for a recall swap of the faceplate - so I can make it safe before I ebay it.
I can’t PM yet in this forum unfortunately.

I am interested in just the computer mount for the open face plate if you still have it.

Could you PM me?

I also sent you an email.

Thank you.

b5000

by b5000

Vinsanton - unfortunately the shop kept the open faceplate computer mount as well..so I don't have it.

3xsu

by 3xsu

b5000 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:31 pm
3xsu - you are lucky that the shop was able to swap it out so quickly...even if the installation was shoddy. I'm still waiting on the part.....

meanwhile I got a email from cervelo offering me a 30$ credit to their webshop. Would really rather have the replacement part already...sigh.
They must have read your post :D Feels like new bike day again!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Downhill502

by Downhill502

b5000 wrote:@Vinsanyon - The shop kept the open faceplate for warranty purposes.

I am interested in your 100mm stem, sent you an email as I couldn’t pm. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk