2022 Cervelo R5 / Caledonia 5 - Carbon Stem Recall (ST31 Stem)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

b5000

by b5000

Anyone run into any issues with the proprietary carbon stem on the 2022 R5 or Caledonia 5?

Apparently, there is a recall on the stem - specifically the face plate slipping:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/recalls ... TELXbMK38
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cervel ... ia-models/
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2022/Cerve ... all-Hazard
https://www.cervelo.com/en-US/product-recalls

I've not had any issues with the stem since I had the bike built up in May - and probably less than 1200 miles on it.

I read about the recall for the stem and I'm in the process of trying to get it sorted out. Just curious if anyone else who has the 2022 R5 with the ST31 Carbon stem or the Caledonia 5 has had issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thebikemanguy

by thebikemanguy

I've had issues with the handlebars slipping after impacting a pothole or other kinds of heavy bumps. It's probably happened 3-4 times this year (~5.5k miles on the R5) despite my best efforts to grease the bolts and torque them down properly. It doesn't seem like a safety issue in the vast majority of cases - the bars slipping really sucks, but mostly I just feel happy this isn't just a me problem.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

-I don't have the ST-31LT, but have the ST-31 regular faceplate. (Caledonia-5)
-Mine has loosened a bit once on the stem/bar interface when just inspecting, but never on a ride. (1.5 yrs)
-Mine has come loose a few times on the stem/steerer connection via the 2 pinch bolts when inspecting, not on a ride. Yes, torqued to spec.
-This is not part of the recall.
-I emailed Cervelo just before the recall came out and they said I can just use loctite but I should bring it to a shop so the shop can properly write it up as a documented case.
-I may also just replace all of the stem bolts and loctite them.
Last edited by woodyvalentine on Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Delete duplicate

KalleWirsch

by KalleWirsch

What´s the problem with the face plate technically? Why does the bolts slip?

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Maybe there's some irony there, but between this and the RSL recall, it makes me even more wary of Chinese cockpit parts. I bet there would be no recall if the F1 or EXS bars had similar issues.

Basscadet

by Basscadet

Did Cervelo really change this part from the 2021 Caledonia 5? I thought the two bikes were identical other than paint schemes.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Basscadet wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:04 pm
Did Cervelo really change this part from the 2021 Caledonia 5? I thought the two bikes were identical other than paint schemes.
They just changed the stem faceplate. Everything else is the same on 2021 vs 2022 Caledonia-5s.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Pics
Attachments
3A17525B-B048-42A4-9D02-A3868DCDA448.jpeg
A8E65C03-34D1-42B4-A7AE-24A45DE13F9B.jpeg
05AD173D-58E1-40D9-8D41-3FC9E928E6F9.png
D32A98B7-9FC1-4B8E-B5E1-B356E044EFD8.jpeg
16A18784-D2B4-4634-B9E1-F60B1AAA7B1D.jpeg

paulpongco

by paulpongco

i assume the RED faceplate (aka OPEN) is the one affected by the recall and GREEN is good? I have the 2021 Caledonia-5 Carbon Chameleon and not on the recall list

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

paulpongco wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:35 am
i assume the RED faceplate (aka OPEN) is the one affected by the recall and GREEN is good? I have the 2021 Caledonia-5 Carbon Chameleon and not on the recall list
Correct

b5000

by b5000

Yes; the vertical slotted faceplate is the replacement. I just started the process with my local Cervelo dealer.

Will upload some photos of the inside of the faceplate when I get the new replacement. I suspect it simply has more contact surface area.

What is a bit of a snag is that the wahoo/ Garmin and light mount connector insert that works with the open faceplate is now useless for me and I'll have to get an insert connector for the vertical slotted faceplate. It's a small part and you can still use your computer and light mounts, but its the base accessory mount connector that needs to be swapped as well. They should really include this key part with the replacement stem faceplate. Following up with Cervelo about this detail to get some clarity.

Here is a photo of the redundant insert that works with the original faceplate: https://www.winterparkcycles.com/st31-l ... embly.html

This is the insert that works with the replacement vertical slotted faceplate: https://www.incycle.com/products/cervel ... -mount-004
Attachments
cervelo-st31-lt-computer-accessory-mount-assembly~2.jpg
MT-LM-F-004_1080x~2.jpg

thebikemanguy

by thebikemanguy

One annoying part of this recall is that only authorized Cervelo dealers are allowed to perform it. If you didn't buy your bike in-person, you can't just get the new faceplate shipped to you.

b5000

by b5000

Here is my experience:
I bought the frame, which includes the stem, handlebar & seatpost from a well known online retailer / bike shop, since my local shop was out of my size. Cut the fork steerer, adjusted the stem headset spacers, bar shifter hoods to my fit #s and had my shop do the final build as I had some issues with the sram red hydro bleed.

RE: STEM RECALL: Contacted Cervelo using the online form: https://www.cervelo.com/en-US/product-recalls - about the stem recall process. They advised me to take it to my local authorized shop for the replacement. The shop checked the serial number, and I emailed them my frame sales receipt, and they forwarded it on to Cervelo for the replacement part. Shop is currently waiting for the stem faceplate to arrive to do the swap.

The process actually seems pretty simple, as I'd personally rather have the shop make sure the new faceplate is installed per spec. Not taking any chances with such a critical part.

Will give an update after its swapped out.

extrusionedwin

by extrusionedwin

if you buy in France and go back home to USA, Cervelo will refused to provide the replacement in USA. So you need to go back to France for the replacement.
this is a shit but the local USA shop store doesn't care this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com