(Hookless) What PSI do you run and have you ever blown a tire off?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
js

by js

Happy to agree to disagree here.

Curious that we can have posts talking about personal experience being what it is and then these others stating things can't be true or are dead wrong. If you've chosen to end a post with an absolute statement that also needs an exclamation point, you must be really confident in your complete and total knowledge of this subject.

I always thought the most important thing to know was what you didn't know - acknowledging the limit of your knowledge shows respect and wisdom. Personally, I don't know everything about tubeless, but I know the products I've used very well from both research and experience. This thread seemed like it was intended to gather knowledge by sharing the different experiences we've all had.

Enjoy your rides.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

js wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:32 pm
Happy to agree to disagree here.

Curious that we can have posts talking about personal experience being what it is and then these others stating things can't be true or are dead wrong. If you've chosen to end a post with an absolute statement that also needs an exclamation point, you must be really confident in your complete and total knowledge of this subject.

I always thought the most important thing to know was what you didn't know - acknowledging the limit of your knowledge shows respect and wisdom. Personally, I don't know everything about tubeless, but I know the products I've used very well from both research and experience. This thread seemed like it was intended to gather knowledge by sharing the different experiences we've all had.

Enjoy your rides.
I suggest you contact the manufacturers about going over maximum limit for tires and rims and you get your answer!
Perhaps you can ask them what happens. Ex, rim explode or tire or both.
They often require rim or tire in return and then they contact you about the verdict.

I may also say, it would be a darn pitty if someone who did read that it's OK to run super high PSI and then end up with a rim that explode.
I can just imagine buying a premium wheelset and trying to claim a warranty case. Or if the rim doesn't show the damage and then suddenly fail when you actually ride the bike. I think like this, better that someone says this right away. If one goes ahead and try to solve this "seating" a tire using methods that may cost you alot of money, or a really dangerous accident, well fine. I even bought a real compressor instead of these other devices sold.
I have most of these at home. There is clearly tires that are very difficult to work with and a real compressor is probably the best start.
It's also a good idea to lurk around at youtube to get some info on different solutions.
But it's not good to do something that may put you in danger or simply destroying an expensive wheelset.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

js

by js

And now happy to agree with all that.

As noted earlier, 100psi is the stated max for the rims I ride, when using a 25mm tire (and my tires don't have a 5 bar max like others either).

I'm 100% in agreement with you that it's important to note the max for your wheels (or any other component) when working on them. But I hope you also see how, in this case, going to 100psi to help seat this combo is not 'dead wrong' or proof of a failed system.

Maddie

by Maddie

Rim explosion may happen if the part of the rim below the air chamber gets pressurized, for instance when the rim tape doesn't seal. The air chamber itself should sustain higher pressure than 72 psi easily. If the pressure is too high, the tire will simply blow off.

M4lukz

by M4lukz

Omiar wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:34 pm
Zipp 404 FC, 61 PSI, 28mm tire.
No.

Zipp 303S, 30.5 PSI, 38mm tire.
No.
how stable are the 404's for a 60kg person? :D

cihboz

by cihboz

I had 303fc
having353 and 454 and looking fw to get 404fcs
loving all the zipp hookless line.
I had only one incident that my tire came off and I knew it was going to come off because i was on vittoria corsa graphenes. which is basically not in etro standards. I was in so isolete place that I couldnt get to hookless compatible tire and had to barrow it from a friend. however I was super cautios while riding it.

other than that all my 2.5 years experience is full of joy.

Omiar

by Omiar

M4lukz wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:11 pm
Omiar wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:34 pm
Zipp 404 FC, 61 PSI, 28mm tire.
No.

Zipp 303S, 30.5 PSI, 38mm tire.
No.
how stable are the 404's for a 60kg person? :D
Im 80kg, so no idea.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

Mikesdubs

by Mikesdubs

Anyone running a hooked 25mm internal diameter rim with clincher tyres and latex tubes?

This was going to be my setup but I'm getting persuaded by how established the hookless wheels are now 🤔

Am I right that you can only use tubeless tyres in hookless rims? Aren't tubeless tyres constructed alot firmer than clinchers?

So would say a 30mm clincher tyre with latex tube hooked rim setup, be a better ride than the equivalent tubeless on hookless?

Thanks in advance guys.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Mikesdubs wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:57 am
Anyone running a hooked 25mm internal diameter rim with clincher tyres and latex tubes?

This was going to be my setup but I'm getting persuaded by how established the hookless wheels are now 🤔

Am I right that you can only use tubeless tyres in hookless rims? Aren't tubeless tyres constructed alot firmer than clinchers?

So would say a 30mm clincher tyre with latex tube hooked rim setup, be a better ride than the equivalent tubeless on hookless?

Thanks in advance guys.
You can only use tubeless tires on hookless rims and manufacturers will typically list which tires are compatible. Some tires such as GP5k S TR are just hookless compatible across the board. Yes, the tires have a much stronger bead. IMO, I would only buy hooked rims. There is no advantage to hookless except it costs less to manufacture. Many brands have stayed with hooks rather than skimp to save $$$. The hooked vs hookless will not result in a ride quality difference. As above, there is no advantage to hookless except making carbon rims cheaper and easier to manufacture. The "aero" benefit pushed by Enve is snake oil because they have to justify their decision. At least Zipp went on the record that it is cheaper to make.

The ride quality with tubeless is noticeably better and it does feel faster. I just got done getting rid of tubeless on 2 of 3 wheelsets because I just got tired of dealing with it. As a busy professional, I wanted to just grab one of my bikes and go.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

BenCousins

by BenCousins

The measured difference between sealant and a latex tube is less than a watt, you can feel that? I can't feel 5 watts let alone a half.

DaveS

by DaveS

I follow the recommendations from the Zipp pressure calculator. I have Zipp 303s and two sets of hookless 25mm IW BTLOS wheels. No problems in over 2 years on 3 bikes. Will soon have new BTLOS wheels to replace the Zipp 303s. No more rim tape. All running Pirelli P-Zero TLR tires and orange seal endurance sealant.

xiyuwang

by xiyuwang

I weigh 74kg, so SRAM's calculator suggests 55/60psi for my 404 with 28c tires. No blowoff.

Do be aware you should try to avoid frequently uninstalling the tire from the rim. The bead does wear out if you do this too often and it will blow off. Some yt videos show the person keep installing the tire and having a shorter and shorter time before the blow off, which suggests the bead will be looser and looser. So, once installed, just use it.

CJosephB

by CJosephB

I saw this video from Josh at Silca on Tubeless. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4FUkNhRO4Y

TL (Tubeless) vs TLR (Tubeless-ready)
Rim Tape installation/Best Type of tubeless tape to use,
etc...

DaveS

by DaveS

I used early model Michelin tubeless on BTLOS wheels that require no rim tape until the fit was so loose that the bead fell off the ledge, if deflated to check the sealant level. The tire never came off. I had to trash the tire only because I couldn't get air in fast enough with valve core in place.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Peak Torque really likes hookless </sarcasm>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjBdIh5J9ls
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg