Reuse Barb

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

I'm planning to replace a badly scrapped Shimano road lever tomorrow night. I visited a few LBS earlier today and none of them have new barb to spare. I know the new lever already have new olive installed so that's good. But can I simply reconnect the brake hose wo putting in new barb? How about if I want to shorten the hose a little. Can I reuse the barb assuming I can get it out?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

I've disconnected and reconnected levers with no ill effects afterwards, but YMMV. If it suddenly fails and you die, I'll go to your funeral.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I've done the same, but not shortened..just disconnect and reconnect
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

ipenguinking wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:48 am
I'm planning to replace a badly scrapped Shimano road lever tomorrow night. I visited a few LBS earlier today and none of them have new barb to spare. I know the new lever already have new olive installed so that's good. But can I simply reconnect the brake hose wo putting in new barb? How about if I want to shorten the hose a little. Can I reuse the barb assuming I can get it out?
I have used a Dremel to grind away the hose from around a barb so I could reuse it, still alive!

kode54

by kode54

ipenguinking wrote:I'm planning to replace a badly scrapped Shimano road lever tomorrow night. I visited a few LBS earlier today and none of them have new barb to spare. I know the new lever already have new olive installed so that's good. But can I simply reconnect the brake hose wo putting in new barb? How about if I want to shorten the hose a little. Can I reuse the barb assuming I can get it out?
The olive compresses the hose against the barb. You may be ble to reclaim the barb but you’ll have to cut the olive and cut the hose to release the barb. I don’t see any way of just saving the barb without sacrificing the olive.

I usually cut them off as close as I can and use a new barb and olive. I’m more surprised you can’t find any new olive and barbs.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Nickldn

by Nickldn

I wouldn't try to re- use an old barb extracted from a hose. The barb prevents the olive crushing the hose and potential damage over time by supporting the hose from the inside, a bit like a steerer expander supports a carbon steerer tube and prevents the stem crushing it.

Trying to extract a barb and then re-inserting it into a new piece of hose is bound to lead to a problem with the structure of the hose over time.

It's simply not worth is in brakes, especially the front.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

I've reused barbs, many times, haven't died yet (or had any leaky brakes).

Sometimes they snap though, and i do have a small stock of spares.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

ghostinthemachine wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:07 pm
I've reused barbs, many times, haven't died yet (or had any leaky brakes).

Sometimes they snap though, and i do have a small stock of spares.
You're a braver man than me.......I just wouldn't risk it for the sake of a cheap barb. Disk brakes can be hard to judge, there's quite a few points where the system can deteriorate (pad contamination, lazy pistons, cylinder seals, air in the hoses, etc.). Would prefer to eliminate as many as possible.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

Finally I found them at local REI. And it seems like they have bunch of them sitting in the part bin.

mathemagician

by mathemagician

You can buy a bunch of about 30 for about a fiver on ebay...why bother trying to extract an old one unless you're stuck in the middle of nowhere trying to bodge together a solution?

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

I wonder how good are those non-Shimano barb and olive? I see them available on Amazon for much less. Next day delivery too.

kode54

by kode54

I’ve never had any issues with them. Seems like they’re made very close to design if not exactly. Works as Shimano OEM.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ms6073

by ms6073

ipenguinking wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:20 am
Finally I found them at local REI. And it seems like they have bunch of them sitting in the part bin.
I purchased them from Amazon BH90 Brake Olive and Barb - 12 PCS Brake
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com