New bike time - 2023 Scott Addict, 2023 Scott Foil, 2023 Tarmac SL7, 2022 Madone...thoughts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

OUGrad05

by OUGrad05

Conradsleight wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:49 pm
Is Factor an option? Loving my new Ostro.
Factor seems to make a good bike but man do you pay for it! Pretty darn expensive so that's why it's not a higher consideration.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

OUGrad05 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:30 am
Conradsleight wrote:
Factor seems to make a good bike but man do you pay for it! Pretty darn expensive so that's why it's not a higher consideration.
Seka RDC.. not cheap but cheaper then a Factor.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

TLN

by TLN

Another 60cm bike rider here. Here're my $0.02 in no particular order:

0. You cannot go wrong with any of theese bikes, but:
1. I can imagine that you're on heavier/powerful side so reliability and serviceability matters.
2. With 61cm bike you're less likely looking at wegiht, and more focused on aerodynamics, especially if 28mph avg is sustainable. I'd definately go for aerobike such as Madone and Foil.
3. What groupset you're going to run? Scott comes with PF86 bottom bracket and that makes is bad match for Sram bottom bracket. On the other hand Madone comes with T47 which seems like the best option. I won't be against Pressfit in general, but I would prefer to go with bigger bearing, especially for someone who rides 60cm frame.
4. I'd recommend renting one of those bikes (Tarmac should be availablem, Madone/Foil can be found) before you put a big chunk of money on a bike. Worth trying to see if bikes meet your expectations. I'd be okay trying current gen Madone/Foil, it's still big jump from 2017 Roubaix.
5. I'd recommend finding pictures of bikes in 60-61cm sizes. Sometimes (lookint at latest BMC RM01) big bikes will look exceptionally ugly compared to 54-56cm frames and that thing alone would be a dealbreaker. OTOH, Madone/Foil/Tarmac look good to me.
6. Does Madone come with single piece handlebar? If it doesn't, or if you expect that your fit and geo might improve in the future it will make more sense to go with bike where you can swap handlebar/stem yourself.
7. Some Madone bikes come with RSL wheelset, that its top of the like set of wheels. Way better than anything you can find IMHO: hooked, 23mm internal, 31mm external, light and stiff. I'd be interested in getting one for myself, if I can get a good price.

Overall, I'd go with Madone, especially if RSL wheels are withing your range. 60/62cm frame - depends on fit and prices. Bigger frames might be discounted slightly.

pps. If your friend willing to sell me Madone 62 with RSL 62 - I might be interested in bike/frameset with spring '23 delivery : )
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Madone or Foil. Personally, I would go Foil

OUGrad05

by OUGrad05

TLN wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:38 am
Another 60cm bike rider here. Here're my $0.02 in no particular order:

0. You cannot go wrong with any of theese bikes, but:
1. I can imagine that you're on heavier/powerful side so reliability and serviceability matters.
2. With 61cm bike you're less likely looking at wegiht, and more focused on aerodynamics, especially if 28mph avg is sustainable. I'd definately go for aerobike such as Madone and Foil.
3. What groupset you're going to run? Scott comes with PF86 bottom bracket and that makes is bad match for Sram bottom bracket. On the other hand Madone comes with T47 which seems like the best option. I won't be against Pressfit in general, but I would prefer to go with bigger bearing, especially for someone who rides 60cm frame.
4. I'd recommend renting one of those bikes (Tarmac should be availablem, Madone/Foil can be found) before you put a big chunk of money on a bike. Worth trying to see if bikes meet your expectations. I'd be okay trying current gen Madone/Foil, it's still big jump from 2017 Roubaix.
5. I'd recommend finding pictures of bikes in 60-61cm sizes. Sometimes (lookint at latest BMC RM01) big bikes will look exceptionally ugly compared to 54-56cm frames and that thing alone would be a dealbreaker. OTOH, Madone/Foil/Tarmac look good to me.
6. Does Madone come with single piece handlebar? If it doesn't, or if you expect that your fit and geo might improve in the future it will make more sense to go with bike where you can swap handlebar/stem yourself.
7. Some Madone bikes come with RSL wheelset, that its top of the like set of wheels. Way better than anything you can find IMHO: hooked, 23mm internal, 31mm external, light and stiff. I'd be interested in getting one for myself, if I can get a good price.

Overall, I'd go with Madone, especially if RSL wheels are withing your range. 60/62cm frame - depends on fit and prices. Bigger frames might be discounted slightly.

pps. If your friend willing to sell me Madone 62 with RSL 62 - I might be interested in bike/frameset with spring '23 delivery : )
Probably SRAM Rival to answer your question regarding group. I do like the Madone a lot, I like the Scott more, I don't really know why, both the Foil and the Addict "do it" for me. For some reason. Maybe it's because you never see them here or it's subtle tube shaping? I did look at the Madone extensively on Friday, it's also good and the wheelset on the one I looked at 58cm with Ultegra Di2 had wheels that appeared to be very high quality. I was impressed.

Conradsleight

by Conradsleight

OUGrad05 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:30 am
Conradsleight wrote:
I think depends on where you live, at least here in Canada Factor is a better value than specialized and others.

Omiar

by Omiar

As you're probably a bigger guy, Addict might be a bit flexy for you.

If you go with Foil and you want a Rival groupset, then you will be going either with a lower tier model or frameset only. Lower tier models don't have the one piece stem-handlebar and ordering those in separately has been a nightmare so far.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

TLN

by TLN

OUGrad05 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:28 pm
Probably SRAM Rival to answer your question regarding group. I do like the Madone a lot, I like the Scott more, I don't really know why, both the Foil and the Addict "do it" for me. For some reason. Maybe it's because you never see them here or it's subtle tube shaping? I did look at the Madone extensively on Friday, it's also good and the wheelset on the one I looked at 58cm with Ultegra Di2 had wheels that appeared to be very high quality. I was impressed.
You can check my topic here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=170011&p=1751495#p1751495
Basically, diameter of PF86 BB is 41 and it's too small for 30mm bearing (regular sram). New 28.99 is a bit better, but not by much overall, and you'll be running smaller bearing with compromised longevity.
You can replace BB when you run into issues, or get a one-picece BB like BBinfinity, but why start with non-optimal solution when you can pick a better one?

ps. I also see a lots of good deals on current gen Madone in 60 or 62cm. Why go with latest bike with Rival over past gen with Red (12sp red?)?

Attermann

by Attermann

Dub uses the same bearings as 4130, it just uses a shim.

OUGrad05

by OUGrad05

TLN wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:38 pm
OUGrad05 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:28 pm
You can check my topic here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=170011&p=1751495#p1751495
Basically, diameter of PF86 BB is 41 and it's too small for 30mm bearing (regular sram). New 28.99 is a bit better, but not by much overall, and you'll be running smaller bearing with compromised longevity.
You can replace BB when you run into issues, or get a one-picece BB like BBinfinity, but why start with non-optimal solution when you can pick a better one?

ps. I also see a lots of good deals on current gen Madone in 60 or 62cm. Why go with latest bike with Rival over past gen with Red (12sp red?)?
Madone isn't off the table at all, last gen in 62 would be nice.

The Scott is a Foil RC20. I requested a 2023 model but it could be a 2022 which I will NOT take. It'll arrive Tues and we'll see what it is on Friday I think. I do not want a 2022 Foil...2022 Madone would be fine.

Madone is pretty damn heavy.

As for the Addict being flexy you could say that about lots of the larger bikes. Tarmac is also a possibility.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I've been running a 30mm axle with a PF86 for 3+ years.. no issues what so ever..
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

TLN

by TLN

OUGrad05 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:57 pm

The Scott is a Foil RC20. I requested a 2023 model but it could be a 2022 which I will NOT take. It'll arrive Tues and we'll see what it is on Friday I think. I do not want a 2022 Foil...2022 Madone would be fine.

As for the Addict being flexy you could say that about lots of the larger bikes. Tarmac is also a possibility.
There's Madone 60cm SLR for sale on ebay/facebook: Force with RED PM, but have some scratches on components. Steerer is cut pretty short, I assume if you want 62cm model you want higher stack.

I'd prefer older Foil as it looks like a road bike. New one looks like a tri bike with mismatch in HTA/STA angles. But that's just a preference.

Any bike in 60cm will be heavy, especially with Rival. Plus there's only so many things that you can change on integrated bike like Foil and Madone. Safe to say that you're looking at 8.2-8.5 kilos for Rival build, unless you add Clavicula and 1200gm wheels.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

TLN wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:04 pm
OUGrad05 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:57 pm

There's Madone 60cm SLR for sale on ebay/facebook: Force with RED PM, but have some scratches on components. Steerer is cut pretty short, I assume if you want 62cm model you want higher stack.

I'd prefer older Foil as it looks like a road bike. New one looks like a tri bike with mismatch in HTA/STA angles. But that's just a preference.

Any bike in 60cm will be heavy, especially with Rival. Plus there's only so many things that you can change on integrated bike like Foil and Madone. Safe to say that you're looking at 8.2-8.5 kilos for Rival build, unless you add Clavicula and 1200gm wheels.
Truth.. bought a Emonda SL7 with the new ultegra di2.. 8.5 kg stock in size 62..

Konsi

by Konsi

I ride a 2022 Foil (the older Generation) and find it surprisingly comfortable (probably helped by the tubeless setup), if the 2023 Foil is even more comfortable, you cannot fault it for ride quality

Gary71

by Gary71

Test ride the foil. If you love it, buy it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com