New bike time - 2023 Scott Addict, 2023 Scott Foil, 2023 Tarmac SL7, 2022 Madone...thoughts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

arcatern

by arcatern

Conradsleight wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:30 pm
OUGrad05 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:30 am
Conradsleight wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:49 pm
Is Factor an option? Loving my new Ostro.
Factor seems to make a good bike but man do you pay for it! Pretty darn expensive so that's why it's not a higher consideration.
I think depends on where you live, at least here in Canada Factor is a better value than specialized and others.
Where you seeing good Canadian prices on Factor frames or builds?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

macwatt

by macwatt

Not thought of considering new Giant Propel it's super light and new Cadex look very fast with Carbon aero spokes.

George46GR

by George46GR

Does it happen enyone to know about the new 2023 scott foil frameset availability in europe ? Thanks in advance.
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

OUGrad05

by OUGrad05

Konsi wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:19 pm
I ride a 2022 Foil (the older Generation) and find it surprisingly comfortable (probably helped by the tubeless setup), if the 2023 Foil is even more comfortable, you cannot fault it for ride quality
I just bought a 2022 foil! Madone didn't have enough Seatpost. Seems a pretty big blunder on treks part.
The foil, weirdly is more comfortable than my roubaix which is weird.

CasualRider

by CasualRider

SL7 or Ostro. Both super confortable and amazing bikes. SL7 will be the most expensive with the best resale value. Factor will be the best value. In US it's cheaper than any of the bikes on your list I belive.
Tarmac SL8 Maganta Gold
Crux Green Pearl

Previous bikes:
Crux Forest Green
Tarmac SL7 Snake Eye
Venge Bora Team
Venge Purple
Trek Madone SLR 7

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

OUGrad05 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:52 pm
Konsi wrote:
I ride a 2022 Foil (the older Generation) and find it surprisingly comfortable (probably helped by the tubeless setup), if the 2023 Foil is even more comfortable, you cannot fault it for ride quality
I just bought a 2022 foil! Madone didn't have enough Seatpost. Seems a pretty big blunder on treks part.
even with the long seatpost ? There are 2 sizes
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

OUGrad05

by OUGrad05

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:15 pm
OUGrad05 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:52 pm
Konsi wrote:
even with the long seatpost ? There are 2 sizes
Yes that's correct the long Seatpost isn't actually that long for someone buying a 62 frame size.

jadedaid

by jadedaid

CasualRider wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:15 pm
SL7 or Ostro. Both super confortable and amazing bikes. SL7 will be the most expensive with the best resale value. Factor will be the best value. In US it's cheaper than any of the bikes on your list I belive.
The SL7 has silly resale value in Europe. After a year of riding it I was offered 1k less than I paid for it new. So that's definitely something to consider, at least until the SL8 comes out.

I haven't ridden the other frames you mentioned, but I will add to what someone else mentioned that the SL7 is very compliant. On the upside it's comfortabe for 100+ miles, but I often find myself wishing it was a bit stiffer. I ride a few bikes so would like my carbon bike to be overly stiff, I don't need it pulling double duty as a comfortable bike. As a single bike solution for road it is excellent and I continue to be impressed by it. There's a reason they are so popular :)

George46GR

by George46GR

Is the new 2023 Foil (PRO) available somewhere in Europe for immediate purchase ?
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

Andrew69

by Andrew69

No one has spoken about geometry of the bikes in question vs the OP's current bike.

I know exactly zero about the geo of any bikes in a size 60/62, but I think it would be safe to assume that the geo of each bike still runs "true" to the smaller sizes in that the SL7 is going to be the longest/lowest with the Madone, Foil and Addict (which now share identical geo) around the same.

Can the OP actually ride a SL7 comfortably?
The difference between the Roubaix he currently rides and a SL7 is really night and day

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Andrew69 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:08 am
No one has spoken about geometry of the bikes in question vs the OP's current bike.

I know exactly zero about the geo of any bikes in a size 60/62, but I think it would be safe to assume that the geo of each bike still runs "true" to the smaller sizes in that the SL7 is going to be the longest/lowest with the Madone, Foil and Addict (which now share identical geo) around the same.

The difference between the Roubaix he currently rides and a SL7 is really night and day

The listed stack for the SL7 does not account for the obligate headset bearing cover, which adds 10mm to the stack height and reduces reach by 3mm.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:18 am
Andrew69 wrote:

The listed stack for the SL7 does not account for the obligate headset bearing cover, which adds 10mm to the stack height and reduces reach by 3mm.
Fair enough
Just checked the Spec website for stack and reach of size 61 bikes
SL7 Stack: 602 Reach 411
Roubaix Stack: 665 Reach 398

Reach is no big deal, easy enough to sort, but a stack difference of 63mm is massive!

Foil/Addict is at 606 and 409 (longer and lower than the smaller sizes would have you believe)

Madone (62cm) is at 620 and 403, easily the closet to the OPs current bike

Personally, I cant stand the tower of spacers I see under the stem of the (very few) S-Works SL7's I see locally, and thats why a SL7 will never be under my butt (Im too damn old and inflexible to ride bent over that far, plus the price north of AU$20,000 is just plain stupid), but thats just me.

As everyone suggests, buy the bike that inspires (God I hate that word though) you to get out and ride

OUGrad05

by OUGrad05

I bought a 2022 foil FYI

HBike

by HBike

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:18 am
Andrew69 wrote:

Scott Addict has 5mm mandatory spacer as far as I know, so .15cm less reach. For an 58 frame the SL7 and Addict RC are almost equal in stack then when including these, but STA is smaller for the Scott, so you sit >6mm further back than on the SL7, depending on saddle height.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

HBike wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 am

Scott Addict has 5mm mandatory spacer as far as I know, so .15cm less reach. For an 58 frame the SL7 and Addict RC are almost equal in stack then when including these, but STA is smaller for the Scott, so you sit >6mm further back than on the SL7, depending on saddle height.
Your saddle setback is your saddle setback. STA is only a problem if the combination of STA, seatpost and saddle do not meet your setback needs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com