Giant Propel 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

erkko

by erkko

riochang wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:50 pm
IMG_5692.JPG
Picked this up today :oops:
Weight is indeed quite impressive, 6.98 KG as pictured with dura ace pedals and its size S.
Haven't had the chance to ride it yet, but cadex freehub sound is obnoxiously loud! much louder than dt swiss EXP.
Will post my first ride report when I have time to go out next weekend.
Hi, could you measure the distance from the ground to the top of the handlebar (near the stem)? I'm between sizes S and M. I prefer longer toptube (M=550mm, S=535mm), but I'm not sure if the handlebar is low enough in M.

HBike

by HBike

jude188 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:46 am
Jz91 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:36 am
I've checked the weights of the SL on the Japanese website.

Size S it's stated at 920g !! I'm actually surprised complete builds come at 6.8kg albeit without pedals.

As I live in a place with lots of mountains I'm still not sure the propel is the best choice.

I would have liked to see 100g or so less on the frame. True weight includes seat post but the ISP clamp adds another 100g to the frame.
I think it's probably fair to take ~65g off the frame weights for the SL models? I say this based on the fact that the ISP clamp is ~105g and an example seat post (Factor Ostro VAM) is ~170g. So to compare to other frames maybe 855g? But you're right that's still not that light. I reckon a lot of the lightness is actually in the new Cadex wheels which are ~200g lighter than a lot of the competition.

So S-Works Tarmac SL7 is still the lightest? Followed by Ostro VAM, Aeroad CFR and Propel all in a similar ball park?
Saves at least 45 g compared to frame with dedicated seat post. So the frame is light, according to cyclingtips.com 845g (without the ISP saddle clamp put on top of the seat tube - 109g), without having even been cut to fit one's proportions.

Even if you live in a place with a lot of mountains, 100g more or less is practically irrelveant, would be even more so for amateurs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Scania123

by Scania123

A magazine that seems to at least have ridden the bike before writing their review
https://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/10932 ... l-0-review

Cattiy

by Cattiy

How much heavier is the Propel Advanced 1 frame and fork compared to the Advanced Pro (which gets an SL Fork) and the Advanced SL?

FatLadAtTheBack

by FatLadAtTheBack

Is the Propel frameset going to be available in the UK market? Nothing on the website yet.

TheMalahat

by TheMalahat

FatLadAtTheBack wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:40 pm
Is the Propel frameset going to be available in the UK market? Nothing on the website yet.
There's like twenty bikes total coming from the range to Canada in 2023, no SL 0s and a handful of SL 1s. Such a joke. I gather this may be a global supply issue.

bedampft

by bedampft

TheMalahat wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:58 am
FatLadAtTheBack wrote:
There's like twenty bikes total coming from the range to Canada in 2023, no SL 0s and a handful of SL 1s. Such a joke. I gather this may be a global supply issue.
Yeah. All except for three Advanced 2 bikes have been cancelled for me. 2 of em got delivered yesterday, the last one will be in february next year.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Any ride reviews yet?

spartan

by spartan

any pics of built up bikes. giant canada sucks. they should have sold framesets if they still have issues src parts.
bedampft wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:31 am
TheMalahat wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:58 am
FatLadAtTheBack wrote:
Yeah. All except for three Advanced 2 bikes have been cancelled for me. 2 of em got delivered yesterday, the last one will be in february next year.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

bedampft

by bedampft

I'll take some tomorrow.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

I think the issue with bikes like the new Propel is their aero performance only holds up if they are used with the original bar/ stem/wheels/*tyres*.

So this is how Giant expects to supply the product. Frameset sales are very much an afterthought. This is the present and future of aero bikes.
spartan wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:07 am
any pics of built up bikes. giant canada sucks. they should have sold framesets if they still have issues src parts.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

HBike

by HBike

Nickldn wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:42 pm
I think the issue with bikes like the new Propel is their aero performance only holds up if they are used with the original bar/ stem/wheels/*tyres*.

So this is how Giant expects to supply the product. Frameset sales are very much an afterthought. This is the present and future of aero bikes.
spartan wrote:
It is not simply possible to update certain parts. The steerer tube is now d-shaped in addition to being 1 1/4" -> you need to use the two new stems designed for the propel, no other options exist.
Seatposts similarly.

I find the Propel intriguing. But in Germany only the top model and the Rival builds are sold, no Ultegra or Force. I would need to drive to the Netherlands.
So far I didn't find enough reports to judge riding comfort etc., too.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

HBike wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:45 pm
Nickldn wrote:

spartan wrote:
It is not simply possible to update certain parts. The steerer tube is now d-shaped in addition to being 1 1/4" -> you need to use the two new stems designed for the propel, no other options exist.
Seatposts similarly.

I find the Propel intriguing. But in Germany only the top model and the Rival builds are sold, no Ultegra or Force. I would need to drive to the Netherlands.
I bought an earlier Propel Advanced SL as frameset and that was fine, as the bike is pretty standard apart from the od2 steerer and v-brakes.

Many of the new bikes can only used with proprietary components, so a frameset purchase makes much less sense. You can't just swap over the stuff from your old bike. You're restricted to groupset, a new seat and perhaps wheels, but in many cases the wheels may not be as good for aero as the standard ones.

I'm allergic to hookless, so the new Propel is a no-no for me. Giant saying using Cadex tyres is necessary for optimum aero just reinforces this.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

HBike

by HBike

Nickldn wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:26 pm
HBike wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:45 pm
Nickldn wrote:

spartan wrote:
Seatposts similarly.

I bought an earlier Propel Advanced SL as frameset and that was fine, as the bike is pretty standard apart from the od2 steerer and v-brakes.

Many of the new bikes can only used with proprietary components, so a frameset purchase makes much less sense. You can't just swap over the stuff from your old bike. You're restricted to groupset, a new seat and perhaps wheels, but in many cases the wheels may not be as good for aero as the standard ones.

I'm allergic to hookless, so the new Propel is a no-no for me. Giant saying using Cadex tyres is necessary for optimum aero just reinforces this.
I use hookless rims with inner tubes (Aerothan), works fine so far. I think the new SL R 50 wheels are quite good and great value- 30mm outer diameter, 126,5kg system weight, rigorous testing protokoll, so 25 to 28mm tires are fine. Are there affordable alternatives to the 303 Firecrest or these SL R 50 with >30mm outer diameter?

spartan

by spartan

real world weight
propel advanced 1 8.44kg without pedals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQFvvzBapTI

propel advanced sl custom build 7kg. luv the colorway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0_F4-gvgOo

i guess we will wait until late summer to see any of these in canada :(
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc