iphone14pro + AW = no computer?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Yoln

by Yoln

Also you'd still need a bike computer for gravel / CX / MTB anyways, so might as well keep it for road too.

I don't know about your way of riding, it's not unusual for me over a season to hit a big hole that would have an impact on saddle, or make a bottle jump out of the cage... I wouldn't like to have any computer that hasn't an embedded mounted mechanism for that reason. Let alone the fairly frequent downhills on gravel or cobblestone section I would hit with my road bike...
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

jih

by jih

pesos wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:33 pm
Yes physical buttons are great which is part of the reason for my post (that I didn't elaborate much on) - there are multiple buttons on the di2 shifters that can be programmed to do various functions on di2-compatible garmins/wahoos/etc as well as the shimano etube app of course. In addition to the extra programmable buttons, I believe the left shifter buttons can also be repurposed for more functions if electing to take advantage of full synchro shift.
If fitness apps start using these buttons for input, and the phone gets a way to lock out the touch screen, that could solve that particular problem. It is still only two buttons though - the shifters might need to get a mini joystick or something before I'd be totally happy with using them to control the cycle computer completely.

Next issue would be that phone screens aren't as visible in bright sunlight as relatively lo-fi LCD screens.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

req110

by req110

It may be good, but it looks totally not pro. Not slick, not reliable, and note good at all. And of course there are also solid reasons:

1) too big
2) too exposed
3) not nicely integrated with cockpit
4) phone is getting too much sun light, so heats a lot
5) readability on sun can't be compared with wahoo bolt for example
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

jih

by jih

phone screens are also harder to read in daylight than old-school LCD screens. When the phone in your hand it is ok because you can tilt it away from the sun, but if it were mounted on bars I think you'd have a lot of issues with it reflecting the sun on bright days

usr

by usr

pesos wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:22 pm
and with the iphone14pro supposedly coming with a vrr display that could drop to 1-10hz…
The energy consumption of the screen is much less of a function of refresh rate than you might hope. The big factor, at least during daytime, is having to one-up the intensity of sunshine. Lower refresh might help, but just a tiny bit compared to the watts required to churn out a sufficiently large number of photons to make a dent in your perception.

You might still get by well enough, for some value of "enough", but that would be because modern displays are a slightly more efficient than those from ten years ago (even without vrr) and because modern smartphone batteries are huge (e.g. twice as big as that of an edge 1040 that will happily run for days of you tone down the GNSS a little)

pesos

by pesos

usr wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:58 pm
pesos wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:22 pm
and with the iphone14pro supposedly coming with a vrr display that could drop to 1-10hz…
The energy consumption of the screen is much less of a function of refresh rate than you might hope. The big factor, at least during daytime, is having to one-up the intensity of sunshine. Lower refresh might help, but just a tiny bit compared to the watts required to churn out a sufficiently large number of photons to make a dent in your perception.

You might still get by well enough, for some value of "enough", but that would be because modern displays are a slightly more efficient than those from ten years ago (even without vrr) and because modern smartphone batteries are huge (e.g. twice as big as that of an edge 1040 that will happily run for days of you tone down the GNSS a little)
Good to know, thanks!

AJS914

by AJS914

The iphone Pro is not the weight weenie option. That stainless steel case is heavy. Now if they only made titanium or carbon. :-)

pesos

by pesos

For sure, but do you leave your phone at home when you ride? If you have it on you that weight is already a sunk cost... so might as well use it and not add yet another device :D

AJS914

by AJS914

pesos wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:52 pm
For sure, but do you leave your phone at home when you ride? If you have it on you that weight is already a sunk cost... so might as well use it and not add yet another device :D
I certainly wouldn't mount a $1000+ phone on the handlebars where it's vulnerable. Plus, it's just not going to work as well as my Garmin.

The Apple Watch Ultra was just released. It seems like the solution for someone that wants to leave home without their phone. It actually has interesting features for runners. One could record a bike ride to Strava with HR.

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

I wouldn't recommend the phone mounts, used to run a quadlock and whilst it's fine for the purpose. It destroyed the camera on my iPhone, I think it was to do with the newer phones using electronic stabilisation that is always active so over time it burned itself out and when using my camera in certain apps it wouldn't work. Similar to the reports of the iphone14

cheapvega

by cheapvega

Phone cameras don't like bike vibrations. The screens also aren't bright enough in daylight, and touch only is a pain. It's not uncommon to get sweat into the charge port, which is annoying. I used to use a phone as my computer but even a simple Wahoo Bolt was a revelation in usability. If you can afford an iPhone 14 you can afford a proper bike computer.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

This thread maked me smile. Today on a ride I overtook a FPKW with a big phone stuck to his bar.

Oh how I laughed, not only did he look clueless wearing full Movistar kit while plodding along, but the huge phone on his bars was just the cherry on the cake. :D :D
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

schlafen

by schlafen

Phone on the handlebar makes the most sense. I remember when people scoffed at the idea of not carrying a wallet/card and paying with the phone instead (apple/google/samsung pay) and I can't remember the last time I used a wallet, most likely before covid.
I believe it's only a matter of time before selling an app becomes more lucrative than selling a device. All you need for good visibility is a matte screen protector but an app can also alter a screen layout. Mounting a phone to a handlebar is a piece of piss as well, if there's the drive to do so. Obviously people that like their massive phone slabs may find it a bit annoying but they can always get a smaller phone, if you can deal with a wahoo/garmin you can deal with a smaller phone, innit bruh?

Lina

by Lina

schlafen wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:23 pm
Phone on the handlebar makes the most sense. I remember when people scoffed at the idea of not carrying a wallet/card and paying with the phone instead (apple/google/samsung pay) and I can't remember the last time I used a wallet, most likely before covid.
I believe it's only a matter of time before selling an app becomes more lucrative than selling a device. All you need for good visibility is a matte screen protector but an app can also alter a screen layout. Mounting a phone to a handlebar is a piece of piss as well, if there's the drive to do so. Obviously people that like their massive phone slabs may find it a bit annoying but they can always get a smaller phone, if you can deal with a wahoo/garmin you can deal with a smaller phone, innit bruh?
Still doesn't solve the issues with battery life, vibrations killing cameras, and the phone being extremely vulnerable in a crash. I wouldn't want to crash, need a phone to call help only to notice that the phone was broken in the crash.

kevintc

by kevintc

daninplymouth wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:39 pm
I wouldn't recommend the phone mounts, used to run a quadlock and whilst it's fine for the purpose. It destroyed the camera on my iPhone, I think it was to do with the newer phones using electronic stabilisation that is always active so over time it burned itself out and when using my camera in certain apps it wouldn't work. Similar to the reports of the iphone14
I came here to say this. If you really, really want to use one of these mounts I'd recommend a rubber isolator to dampen the vibrations a little. Modern phones have physical image stabilization for the camera(s) and there is a strong chance the vibration will kill or at least harm the camera itself. I've seen this happen several times in my line of work. Not everyone has an issue of course, but it's just something to keep in mind.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com