Orbea Orca Aero (2021)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FatLadAtTheBack

by FatLadAtTheBack

I've just put a deposit down on a new custom Orca Aero. Quoted 12 weeks to delivery which seems very optimistic? I'm in no hurry and fully expect not to see the bike until around the start of next summer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

FatLadAtTheBack wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:59 pm
I've just put a deposit down on a new custom Orca Aero. Quoted 12 weeks to delivery which seems very optimistic? I'm in no hurry and fully expect not to see the bike until around the start of next summer.
It all depends on the dealer's allocation. If they had build slots available for that timeframe, it could very well be. FWIW, my quoted arrival was only a month behind actual arrival, even after I requested some non-configurator custom paint stuff (which they ultimately declined)
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

Reporting back after some more riding.

Positives:
  • Immensely comfortable. Compared to the BMC, the damping and handling of potholes and cracks is night and day. Worth noting, I'm on an uncut seatpost and a steel-railed saddle, so it could be better once the seatpost is cut and carbon railed saddled installed.
  • Inspires confidence in descending. I can intuitively feel the weight transfer, and the steering is not so quick that I feel like I have to cautiously taper my inputs.
  • I can aggresively push this bike in and out of the saddle despite the comfort i.e. little feeling of power loss. Climbing is no issue.
  • The RSL 62s... c'est magnifique. They're playing very nice with recently installed Enve SES 27mm tires. Gusty crosswinds yesterday and no issue with steering tug in any scenario.
  • Downtube box is excellent in practice.
Negatives:
  • Aero bottle+cage is already removed. Too much fuss for even short rides.
  • I'm loving the 38mm handlebar width, but not convinced on the handlebar comfort. Drops feel weird compared to what I'm used to and prefer (love Easton EC70/90 style for comparison). It's certainly as stiff as the RSL VRC barstem.
  • There's a whistling that happens occassionally above 50kmh. I have a feeling it's the DT box. It's not a dealbreaker, but a bit of a nuisance and distraction when descending. Will do some more testing.
  • more groupset related, but do get some brake pinging after descending. So much for DA92s extended clearance!
Overall I am absolutely smitten with this bike.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

Stendhal

by Stendhal

FatLadAtTheBack wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:59 pm
I ordered an Orca OMX frame in mid-February 2020. Despite covid-19 wreaking havoc on the world and production schedules, Orbea delivered the frame ahead of schedule, in late May if I recall.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

FatLadAtTheBack

by FatLadAtTheBack

ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:53 pm

Positives:
  • Immensely comfortable. Compared to the BMC, the damping and handling of potholes and cracks is night and day. Worth noting, I'm on an uncut seatpost and a steel-railed saddle, so it could be better once the seatpost is cut and carbon railed saddled installed.
  • Inspires confidence in descending. I can intuitively feel the weight transfer, and the steering is not so quick that I feel like I have to cautiously taper my inputs.
  • I can aggresively push this bike in and out of the saddle despite the comfort i.e. little feeling of power loss. Climbing is no issue.
  • The RSL 62s... c'est magnifique. They're playing very nice with recently installed Enve SES 27mm tires. Gusty crosswinds yesterday and no issue with steering tug in any scenario.
  • Downtube box is excellent in practice.
Negatives:
  • Aero bottle+cage is already removed. Too much fuss for even short rides.
  • I'm loving the 38mm handlebar width, but not convinced on the handlebar comfort. Drops feel weird compared to what I'm used to and prefer (love Easton EC70/90 style for comparison). It's certainly as stiff as the RSL VRC barstem.
  • There's a whistling that happens occassionally above 50kmh. I have a feeling it's the DT box. It's not a dealbreaker, but a bit of a nuisance and distraction when descending. Will do some more testing.
  • more groupset related, but do get some brake pinging after descending. So much for DA92s extended clearance!
Overall I am absolutely smitten with this bike.
Great review. What's up with the water bottle?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:53 pm

[*]Immensely comfortable. Compared to the BMC, the damping and handling of potholes and cracks is night and day. Worth noting, I'm on an uncut seatpost and a steel-railed saddle, so it could be better once the seatpost is cut and carbon railed saddled installed.
[*] I can aggresively push this bike in and out of the saddle despite the comfort i.e. little feeling of power loss. Climbing is no issue.
1) That's interesting. If true, that's not a bad trade vs Cannondale SystemSix which LOOKS to have similar design silhouette. SystemSix is way lighter (if not using their heavy handlebar+stem) but it's too stiff everywhere. 3 times less seatpost flex versus Supersix for example. So, maybe Orbea is after the Trek Madone market? Heavier for more compliance.
2) I also found that I corner better on a frame/fork with more built in compliance, especially if the road aren't smooth. Best I've used so far was Cannondale SuperSix. Worst one (for me) is Specialized Allez Sprint. So that go in line with your first observation that it's comfortable.

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

FatLadAtTheBack wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:25 pm
Great review. What's up with the water bottle?
Just too much hassle for the rides that I do for the volume. Maybe if I had two and could fit 800ml, but 400ml for 80-100km forces me to stop and refill. I'm running a single Zefal cage with a Specialized Purist at the moment.
Hexsense wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:53 pm
1) That's interesting. If true, that's not a bad trade vs Cannondale SystemSix which LOOKS to have similar design silhouette. SystemSix is way lighter (if not using their heavy handlebar+stem) but it's too stiff everywhere. 3 times less seatpost flex versus Supersix for example. So, maybe Orbea is after the Trek Madone market? Heavier for more compliance.
2) I also found that I corner better on a frame/fork with more built in compliance, especially if the road aren't smooth. Best I've used so far was Cannondale SuperSix. Worst one (for me) is Specialized Allez Sprint. So that go in line with your first observation that it's comfortable.
1. Orbea's marketing materials only mention "comfort" in regards to ergonomics, so I don't think their target was to build a comfortable ride, or at least market it that way over adjustability. Whether intentional or product of other engineering choices I'm appreciative for it. Comparing to the SystemSix (which is ~4 years older by release), the chainstays and seat stays are notably thinner, whereas the toptube, seat tube, and seatpost are thicker. Just an observation; can't say if that has anything to do with it.

Grain of salt: my sample size is a 2015 over-engineered rimbrake BMC (albeit with contemporary wheels and tubeless tires in the same size) and a '92 De Rosa SLX Neo-Retro with a similar wheel and finishing kit setup.

2. I have a hunch this aligns with my experience as well because the rimbrake TMR01 fork is stout, whereas the Orca Aero's is not only thinner, but features those almost Pinarello-esque bends that no doubt affect front end feel.

FatLadAtTheBack

by FatLadAtTheBack

Quick update. Picked up the new Orca Aero this week.

All first impressions are positive but due to the northern hemisphere winter it may be some time before I can put it through its paces on the road.

So far, its only seen action on the turbo which isn't quite the same!

Credit to Orbea for delivering slightly ahead of schedule when the order included custom paint and several component changes. Can't fault that, particularly in the current climate.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

quick question - how much can you slam the stem on that thing? I'm looking at 53 vs. 55, and my main concern is HT lenght - seems kinda low on the former, almost perfect in the latter. so how much height do all the necessary spacers add?
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

FatLadAtTheBack

by FatLadAtTheBack

Mine came with a laughable amount of spacers, half of which came straight off. Will get steerer cut once I'm happy with the position, currently rocking a chimney.

No reason I can see why you shouldn't be able to slam stem, might be more info in the blue paper here: https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/support/man ... -fr-it-de/#

HJKHJK

by HJKHJK

Hi All,

Hows your Orcas? Any more thougs after couple of months using the bike? Is still blistingly fast and comfy as most of the comments those who buy it?
I am considering to buy Orca Aero or new Giant Propel 2023. The Tour Magazine test figures are quite similar however for Orca I can have a good discount in my local bike store.

bowtieguy

by bowtieguy

HJKHJK wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:13 am
Hi All,

Hows your Orcas? Any more thougs after couple of months using the bike? Is still blistingly fast and comfy as most of the comments those who buy it?
I am considering to buy Orca Aero or new Giant Propel 2023. The Tour Magazine test figures are quite similar however for Orca I can have a good discount in my local bike store.
Having mixed feelings on my Orca Aero purchase. I had the frame replaced under warranty after a crack developed in the top tube after only two rides. The seat post clamp wedge is supposed to stay recessed in the frame and it was moving up and sitting flush with the top of the frame. This caused the crack. After waiting a few months for the custom painted MyO replacement frame, the seatpost wedge is doing the same thing in the new frame and not staying recessed even when it is not fully torqued. Although it hasn't cracked it (yet?), I only have it torqued to 5Nm on the trainer (spec is 8Nm). I'm going to get a new seatpost clamp ordered in and see if maybe that is the problem. It seems unlikely that two frames in a row would have the same problem? I'm using lots of carbon paste and I had the behaviour checked at an Orbea dealer who agree it is still a problem.

Also, I had the press fit BB cups pulled out and put a one-piece BBInfinite bottom bracket put in after the BB started creaking on the second ride.
The bike looks boss, has a very compliant ride and goes like stink but it's frustrating to have to deal with this after paying 5 figures for a bike....but, first world problems and all that.

HJKHJK

by HJKHJK

Considering all the pros and cons, I decided to buy an Orca Aero. Living in a relatively flat area, riding mainly solo and competing in triathlons, I ended up at a local bike shop that offered good discounts on the Orca. The final decision was between the Orca and the new Propel 2023, but better service and discounts favoured the Orca.

We'll see how it rides in reality. I'm changing from the 2019 Trek Emonda so the aero experience may be quite different from what I already know.

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

Was frustrated with how the provided GoPro style mount only worked with the Garmin insert, so created this design to accommodate the Wahoo mount:

https://thangs.com/designer/artifactsin ... =All+Files

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bowtieguy

by bowtieguy

bowtieguy wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:52 am
HJKHJK wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:13 am
Hi All,

Having mixed feelings on my Orca Aero purchase. I had the frame replaced under warranty after a crack developed in the top tube after only two rides. The seat post clamp wedge is supposed to stay recessed in the frame and it was moving up and sitting flush with the top of the frame. This caused the crack. After waiting a few months for the custom painted MyO replacement frame, the seatpost wedge is doing the same thing in the new frame and not staying recessed even when it is not fully torqued. Although it hasn't cracked it (yet?), I only have it torqued to 5Nm on the trainer (spec is 8Nm). I'm going to get a new seatpost clamp ordered in and see if maybe that is the problem. It seems unlikely that two frames in a row would have the same problem? I'm using lots of carbon paste and I had the behaviour checked at an Orbea dealer who agree it is still a problem.

Also, I had the press fit BB cups pulled out and put a one-piece BBInfinite bottom bracket put in after the BB started creaking on the second ride.
The bike looks boss, has a very compliant ride and goes like stink but it's frustrating to have to deal with this after paying 5 figures for a bike....but, first world problems and all that.
Replying to my own post in the event it helps someone else in the future....I found the source of the problems described above that I was having with the seatpost wedge and the cracked/warrantied frame: the bike was built up with the wrong seatpost wedge. It came with the seatpost wedge for the Orbea Terra, not the Orbea Orca Aero. They look fairly similar, but have separate part numbers and obviously fit differently.