Campagnolo SR EPS 12s rear derailleur play

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Vilsheimer

by Vilsheimer

Hi guys - last week mid-ride, my rear derailleur suddenly refused to enter the smallest 2 sprockets - also the shifting for other gears was suddenly off. Nothing touched the RD in the meantime. The shifting isn't consistently skewed to a higher/lower cog - more seems to dislike extremes - so i would exclude a bent hanger.
Investigating further, the high/low screws still seemed correctly set - and the derailleur is sitting stiff in the hanger.
However, i can feel (&hear) a small amount of play in the upper pivot of the RD! (see reflecting light on the edge of the bolt in the video)
I strongly guess that this is causing my shifting problems? Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Many thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Llanberis

by Llanberis

TPB (top pivot bolt) service/ replacement is a service centre-only operation according to Spare Part manual so I'd get in touch with your local Campag SC for getting this sorted. It costs £30 in the UK.

gorkypl

by gorkypl

I doubt this amount of play would cause such issues, it would also probably happen gradually and not suddenly.
I would check the hanger and re-set the derailleur - both are cheap and will sort out the simplest issues.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

micky

by micky

Im not the best mechanic but as pointed out above, I would firstly check the frame hanger.
Last June during a granfondo I though someone touched my shoes with their front wheel but instead touched my EPS rd which went off slowly in the following weeks and I only realised when the pulleys were way too close to spokes.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

I just looked at mine. It has the same play in the upper pivot.

First, I would test the Ride Back Home feature. Do this by Unhooking the RD, And then re-engaging it. I know you said you didn't bump anything, but this is what it sounds like. You may want to do a zero-setting after this.

Second, I would suggest a "factory reset" (more than zero-reset). I think the process is to put the magnet in, and hold both mode buttons for 30s. Then you have to do zero-setting.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

The EPS rear derailleur does carry a bit more play than you might expect. But it shouldn't affect shifting if your hanger is correct. May want to consider resetting the rear with the Zero Setting if you haven't yet.
Just ride ..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vilsheimer

by Vilsheimer

Many thanks guys - consider this solved - after i first reindexed the gears (no full reset), the indicator LED greeted me a flashing purple afterwards as well. (problem with the RD)
Wanted to check for further details on the MyCampy app - got told there were new firmware updates available - so i installed those as well.
After the update completed, the flashing purple was gone and the gears are shifting all fine again. I'm guessing that the reset you've mentioned would have had a similar impact already.
Went past a Campy Pro Shop for different reasons today and mentioned the RD play. He went though a couple of brand new bikes in the shop and that play is indeed perfectly normal.
Special thanks to those who have given their RD a wiggle as well :)

Fwiw... the reason why i visited the shop was quite a lot of play in the rivets of Campag disc rotors (floating design) - the braking surface is moving considerably vs the spider. That's causing some weird braking sensation - and pretty ugly scratching metallic braking noises. The rivets wear out and develop more play over their lifetime. I live in the alps, so mine probably wear quicker than others. I'm on my 4th set of Campag rotors here - getting about 2500 km out of a set (65000m d+) - but already 20% into the lifespan, the noise comes up.
Pro Shop mentioned that Campag is aware of the problem but ignoring it and refusing to warranty it - not impacting performance.
Will look elsewhere for rotors next (galfer probably) - surprised Campags are such a popular choice even for non-campag groupset ppl (even though i love their looks).