Tarmac Sl7 problem with internal cable noise

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zik

by zik

Hello
I'm changing parts in my sl7, and struggling with noises from around the steering tube when handlebar is rotated, the problem occurs no matter how much free brake house I leave in the frame. Now I have done as in the manual: I rotate the fork 90 degrees opposite side the rear brake is routed, tension the brake cable and then push 20mm housing into the frame.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/SXtz344c-As
The front brake hose has been wrapped with tape to steerer tube, so I don't think that's the source of the problem, rather rear brake hose. The churro on the brake house is also installed on downtube and is ending behing the bottom bracket.
The noise is less without this spacer stack installed:
Anyone have any idea how to solve this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zik

by zik

Now I discovered that when the brake cable is in the back of the groove of the compression ring, then tere is no noise. But after installation of this first spacer stack the brake cable is pushed at the front of this groove and then I think it is angled and touches the frame in the inside.

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

I think the 20 mm is there mainly to give mechanics some leeway when swapping stems etc.
If you're confident in your position (spacer stack) you can certainly adjust it to be a little tighter.
The way I set up mine was to rotate the bars all the way to the left so they would touch the top tube, and marked that position. And then I checked with my fingers that there was still a little bit of slack left in the hose above the BB area (BB was removed while doing this).
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

zik

by zik

I removed that extra 20mm of cable from the frame,now when the handlebar is full on left side I feel near BB that cable is tensioned, but when the fork is straight then is a little loose at bottom bracked. It's a little quieter now but not completely silent, I don't know how to set it up to be completely quiet maybe because it's new cables and they are stiff.

biwa

by biwa

Maybe try some of those foam tube or cord protector sleeves?

Noeh

by Noeh

+1 I added an extra section of Jagwire housing damping foam near to headtube for similar noise.

2022 Tarmac SL7 Pro for Waifu [7.3kg]
2021 Tarmac SL7 Pro [7.2kg]
2018 CAAD12 [7.5kg]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

milanv

by milanv

Noeh wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:53 am
+1 I added an extra section of Jagwire housing damping foam near to headtube for similar noise.

+2, same foam sleeve in my case.