Mavic Ksyrium SL Disc UST any good ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

moock

by moock

Hey. I can have a good deal on those (550€ instead of 850).
Any comments on those?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moock

by moock

no one ?

jlok

by jlok

Rim weight sounds light enough at ard 400g for what it is.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

I personally avoid mavic at all costs. In the past I've had various higher end road and mtb wheelsets as OEM, and they've been nothing more than ok, mediocre.

Most issues are obtaining parts such as the spokes and freehub seals after about three years from date of release.
Even the new products are years behind the latest technology/ fashion, but only you know if that is important to you.

Bfriesen

by Bfriesen

They're nice alloy wheels. I've had a pair for the past year on my gravel/cx bike and like them. But the only reason I bought them was that they were super cheap - like $150 cad. Honestly they are a terrible deal at anything close to msrp.
2020 Cannondale Supersix
2021 Argon 18 Gallium Disc
2018 Trek Crockett

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

They seem like a solid deal at 550 euros. I've had a number of Mavic products over the last two decades and all of them have been solid. The Ksyriums are solid workhorse wheels; I have a friend who has these on his bike for the last year or so, and they have been dead reliable for him. I've got carbon rim-brake Ksyrium UST SLs and they have been great, other than the usual complaints about carbon braking surfaces in the wet (in the dry, they're totally fine). They cost a little more than disc-brake Zonda 2-way fits, but are lighter; they are cheaper than things like the Fulcrum Racing Zero discs. I doubt they use any more proprietary parts than similar "boutique" wheels from Campy, Spinergy, etc. Not needing to use rim tape (for either tubed or tubeless) is a nice plus, and I personally like the engagement and (quiet) sound of the insta-drive 360 hubs.

rwoofer

by rwoofer

Got some Ksyrium SL DISC USTs which I've had for 3 years. Seem bombproof, nice wide rim width and work really well tubeless.

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

I've been using a set of Mavic Kyrsium Elite UST Disc wheels for around 3 years for road cycling and have had no issues with them. I believe these were the predecessor to the Kyrsium SL wheels.

My wheels have been light and not needed any maintenance in that time. I set them up tubeless a couple of months ago - it was easy to set up and so far been working well.

david38

by david38

Hi,
I bought a set of Mavic Ksyrium SL disc in March. No issue up to know. I am using them with Hutchinson Fusion Galatik TLR tyres, I could mount them without issue and inflate them with a simple track pump. Front wheel is 732g, rear wheel is 857g, the Mavic tubeless valve supplied with the wheel set is 7g (per valve).
David.

Leon

by Leon

Just got my hands on a pair too. I paid €425,-. But before I pulled the trigger on the wheels I first needed to get my hands on a adapterset for rear QR. These things are hard to get. Sold out at all the big online shops.
Ride bikes, not tanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Leon

by Leon

Too bad I didn't read the complete manual.... I need a rear QR and ordered some adapters for that. Now it seems I need another axle... Which is almost nowhere to be found (as the adapters). But I got a hold of one somewhere in the UK.
Ride bikes, not tanks!