Spider Based Power Meter for Shimano 12sp

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kode54

by kode54

MagicShite wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:46 pm
alanyu wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:59 am
Sigeyi AXO is more reliable than Quarq based on what I read in the corresponding thread here and told by some Chinese guys.
same here. I have 3 units that worked reliably and track very consistent to each other.
Me three. No issues with Sigeyi AXO. Have 3 units as well. Firmware is different on 2 of them...maybe one is old and cannot be updated with current firmware while the other is a newer PM. In either case, all three have been updated to latest firmware and working well across all of them.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

henau212 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:27 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:40 am
henau212 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:25 am
spartan wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:59 pm
GP Lama bought a pair of DuraAce 9200 power cranks. let us see what he reports on accuracy.

so what crankarms are being used with Quarq total system weight vs P2M with RotorCarbon crank arms. DA is quite heavy at 750gm
Would not wait on that. DC already said that the data of his test sample is inaccurate and he is in contact with Shimano about the data. Would be a miracle if GP Lamas is any better.

I don't see anything positive for the Shimano PM: not the price, the weight or the quality of the PM. I am still baffled that they did not just use the Pioneer tech and be done with their problems.
Ray's test model was, I believe, a pre-production model and was procured almost a year ago. GP Lama just bought a production model a few weeks back. A lot can change in the tech in 10 months.

I know Ray mentioned that he has a new DA PM in for testing but I haven't seen him mention any results on this unit. I am looking forward to reading his feedback and hearing from GP Lama before reaching a final conclusion on Shimano's new units. I hope they can get them sorted.
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/07/the ... rance.html
See comment 9 forward. That thing he is testing is not pre production.
Yes, that's the production model he just got a hold of. He tested a unit last September that was, as I recall, a pre-production unit. Ray's has had two 9200 DA power meters. I am waiting to hear feedback on the second one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vlastrada

by vlastrada

SRM Origin Carbon PM cranks could be an option. However the chainring options right now are v limited: Carbon-ti 12s only (rrp $485). Once the 9200 chainrings bcome available, err...possibly in 2037 at this rate, you could install those...very reliable PM in my experience

henau212

by henau212

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:08 pm
henau212 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:27 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:40 am
henau212 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:25 am

Would not wait on that. DC already said that the data of his test sample is inaccurate and he is in contact with Shimano about the data. Would be a miracle if GP Lamas is any better.

I don't see anything positive for the Shimano PM: not the price, the weight or the quality of the PM. I am still baffled that they did not just use the Pioneer tech and be done with their problems.
Ray's test model was, I believe, a pre-production model and was procured almost a year ago. GP Lama just bought a production model a few weeks back. A lot can change in the tech in 10 months.

I know Ray mentioned that he has a new DA PM in for testing but I haven't seen him mention any results on this unit. I am looking forward to reading his feedback and hearing from GP Lama before reaching a final conclusion on Shimano's new units. I hope they can get them sorted.
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/07/the ... rance.html
See comment 9 forward. That thing he is testing is not pre production.
Yes, that's the production model he just got a hold of. He tested a unit last September that was, as I recall, a pre-production unit. Ray's has had two 9200 DA power meters. I am waiting to hear feedback on the second one.
Not sure I am following. The unit with inaccurate data is the production model he recently got hold of. Did he receive another one after that?

I simply don't get why anyone would bother with a Shimano PM anymore. I love the 12s Shimano stuff, but for me there is simply no reason to go for their PM (hmm maybe the aesthetics...). There are simply way better alternatives.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

vlastrada wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:55 pm
SRM Origin Carbon PM cranks could be an option. However the chainring options right now are v limited: Carbon-ti 12s only (rrp $485). Once the 9200 chainrings bcome available, err...possibly in 2037 at this rate, you could install those...very reliable PM in my experience
Just look at my post on the previous page...
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

jbott

by jbott

It took a while to get to me overseas but the cranks are here. I decided on Power2Max NG 110x4 SL with 170mm ROTOR ALDHU Carbon Arms w/30mm spindle.

I'm pleased with the weight at 470g without chainrings/chainring bolts. Ultegra 11sp rings are ordered to get me by until DA12 are available.

Powermetercity.com told me the Carbon ALDHU are only available with a 30mm spindle, and the ROTOR website seems to reflect this. New BB on the way. Who doesn't love to buy new part that they already have? That's fine, I'll live.

The cranks look great.Thanks everyone for the help.
Attachments
299671291_5508003009258548_3004747289499561213_n.jpg
300313988_475812487722811_8035674032729708208_n.jpg

Aryeh

by Aryeh

GPLama posted his review for the 9200-P
He's unhappy with it.
Right side consistently reads low in sprints and big ring strong efforts and it also has a zero offset drift causing the power to slowly drop over time during a ride.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xuAPFWL6LM

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Aryeh wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:50 pm
GPLama posted his review for the 9200-P
He's unhappy with it.
Right side consistently reads low in sprints and big ring strong efforts and it also has a zero offset drift causing the power to slowly drop over time during a ride.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xuAPFWL6LM
I'd like to know his rationale here. Last time he came up with something like "the asymmetric design causes this issue...". Some seem to find it plausible or even the fact, but it actually suggests there should be no problem with reading the strain from 9000/9200 cranks.

Anyway, I'm going to purchase Power2Max, but Sigeyi or even 4iiii if the budget matters.

gplama

by gplama

Cemicar wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:58 am
I'd like to know his rationale here. Last time he came up with something like "the asymmetric design causes this issue...". Some seem to find it plausible or even the fact, but it actually suggests there should be no problem with reading the strain from 9000/9200 cranks.
Regarding the asymmetric design, watch Keith Wakeham's video for a super-deep analisys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwt4Bx_FGHU

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Cemicar wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:58 am

Anyway, I'm going to purchase Power2Max, but Sigeyi or even 4iiii if the budget matters.

Even though the crank itself has bilateral symmetry, the integrated spider it's attached to doesn't have radial symmetry. A Shimano-based 4iiii power meter will suffer the same issues. I simply wouldn't buy any crankarm based power meter at this point.

Jz91

by Jz91

Sorry guys, noob question but someone's got to ask it ;)

I'm planning on getting a shimano bike with Ultegra and a PressFit BB86 bottom bracket.

My plan is to then switch to rotor aldhu carbon with the 30mm spindle coupled with p2max.

As I'm a complete ignorant on the topic of bottom bracket, what exactly do I need to buy to make it fit?

Is this the required BB? Which is the best one to pick between steel and stell/plastic?:

https://rotorbike.com/catalog/default/r ... -4630.html

Is there any better alternative within the same price range from other brands?
I would not want to go ceramic for the prices asked unless you think the performance difference is really tangible.

Thanks!!

Mrmamil

by Mrmamil

The Rotor crankset is modular config.

You can pair the Rotor ALDHU carbon/alloy crankarm with either a 24mm or 30mm axle depending on your existing BB. The 30mm one is lighter.

You can then use a P2M with the usual chainrings, or use the direct mount Rotor chainrings (but you can't use P2M with direct mount).

The 24mm axle can be purchased separately, eg: https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/rot ... 136714072/

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Jz91 wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:26 am

Is this the required BB?

Based on what you've written, no. You said you are getting a bike with a BB86 bottom bracket and the one you linked is for PF30 or BB386EVO.

BBInfinite makes a 1pc BB for BB86 which uses undersized bearings.

Various brands offer flanged 4130 cartridge bearings that will work too.

https://rotorbike.com/catalog/default/r ... -4130.html

Aeo

by Aeo

You can get a SRAM RED AXS DUB crank and save some money and weight.

The shaft is 29mm instead of 30mm which results in a larger bearing in the already quite tight BB86 interface.

Only problem will be that you have to use a different power meter spider, SRAM/Quarq, Sigeyi, Xcadey, Giant Power Halo
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Mrmamil wrote:The Rotor crankset is modular config.

You can pair the Rotor ALDHU carbon/alloy crankarm with either a 24mm or 30mm axle depending on your existing BB. The 30mm one is lighter.

You can then use a P2M with the usual chainrings, or use the direct mount Rotor chainrings (but you can't use P2M with direct mount).

The 24mm axle can be purchased separately, eg: https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/rot ... 136714072/
Not true, the axles aren’t modular you either have the 24mm crank or the 30mm crank. You can remove the axles but you cant change them for the different version.

Aldhu carbon is 30mm only
Aldhu alu has a 24 and a 30mm option

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com