Spider Based Power Meter for Shimano 12sp

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jbott

by jbott

Coming to the experts for advice. I'm struggling to figure out my best option for a spider based PM to (eventually) run DA 12sp chainrings on.

I've never strayed from DA cranks before but I can't take the weight of the new 9200! Trying hard to get my SL7 lighter. It's fast, but heavier than I would like. :D

Coming from previous versions of Stages crank arm PMs.

With the only constraint of 9200 chainrings what is considered the best/lightest choice for spider, crank arms, and threaded BB?

Quarq Dfour looks good on paper, but I know as soon as I buy it, they will come out with a 9200 version. Power2max doesn't have these cosmetic issues.

Performance reviews of Quarq and Power2max seem positive. I will run 9100 rings until 9200 are available.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AZR3

by AZR3

I'll share my experience with both P2M and Quarq. I've had 6 P2M (2 bought new, 4 purchased through various forums) and never had one issue with them, rock solid.

Had first Quarq dzero for two months then random dropouts and spikes. Quarq customer service is excellent, did a little trouble shooting with them then when that didn't help they emailed me a shipping label and within a week, I'm talking I sent it out Monday and had a replacement by Thursday, had the replacement unit. That one lasted about the same, 3-ish months, then same issues. Same process as before but after the first two had issues I opted to just sell the replacement unit and buy another P2M.

This is just my particular experience with these power meters, I know others have had Quarqs for years without issue but that wasn't my case. I've been using Assioma DUOs for the past few years but if I had to get another spider based power meter I'd get a P2M in a heartbeat

jbott

by jbott

I do find German quality appealing for sure, and I'm no fan of SRAM.

The best option I can see from the P2M website is Rotor Aldhu cranks. It appears to come with the BB Spindle but I can't be sure. Need to check. This would involve a new 30mm BB which is ok.

Best I can tell there isn't a P2M Spider made for newer SRAM Red crankarms.

What rings and arms are you running on your P2M PM?

Shimano cranks are so easy...

alanyu

by alanyu

Sigeyi AXO is more reliable than Quarq based on what I read in the corresponding thread here and told by some Chinese guys.

AZR3

by AZR3

I've been using the DUOs for the past few years but prior to that I was running Easton EC90 SL arms with Rotor NoQ aero 5x110 BCD rings with my P2M unit

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I cannot second the negative press Quarq is getting here. Dirt cheap and mega reliable for me...
Also working perfectly with 9200 for me on 2 bikes.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

MagicShite

by MagicShite

alanyu wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:59 am
Sigeyi AXO is more reliable than Quarq based on what I read in the corresponding thread here and told by some Chinese guys.
same here. I have 3 units that worked reliably and track very consistent to each other.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

I have two (older SRAM Red and now Red AXS) and both have worked perfectly

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

alanyu wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:59 am
The Sigeyi Axo doesn't completely ignore non-rotational forces/deflection like it should according to one YouTuber. So the offset basically changes depending on which chainring you're in and how crosschained you are. It may also be affected by duck-footed or pigeon-toed pedaling. I experienced this with the Magene P325CS cranks and also the cranks on the Stages SB20 smartbike too so this isn't just a criticism of Sigeyi. I would bet the Xcadey spider, Magene spider and numerous crankarm solutions to suffer from the same issues. Making power meters is hard.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indyx

by Indyx

One quarq Dzero, maybe 30k miles. The only time anything has gone wrong is when the battery dies once every year-ish, replace.
Second quarq Dzero, maybe 10k miles, zero issues.

One time I sent them a question about adding a spider to a 3rd bike, they responded in like 10 mins. Solid customer service.

Quarq dzeros for me.

spartan

by spartan

GP Lama bought a pair of DuraAce 9200 power cranks. let us see what he reports on accuracy.

so what crankarms are being used with Quarq total system weight vs P2M with RotorCarbon crank arms. DA is quite heavy at 750gm
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

jbott

by jbott

Thanks for all the replies. Seems like every one of these PMs have people that have had problems and people that haven't. Overall I think we're past the point of any of them being total junk.

I've been working with powermeter city and I'm looking close at the Power2max NG with ROTOR Aldhu crank arms. I can keep a 24mm spindle and not replace my BB.

I would prefer a replaceable battery but can get past it. Any 4x110mm Shimano chainrings are guaranteed to work and maybe I'll have still have it for DA9300. :wink:

I'm not familiar with ROTOR cranks but I'll just read the manual for assembly.

jbott

by jbott

spartan wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:59 pm
GP Lama bought a pair of DuraAce 9200 power cranks. let us see what he reports on accuracy.

so what crankarms are being used with Quarq total system weight vs P2M with RotorCarbon crank arms. DA is quite heavy at 750gm
This is what has me leaving the DA crankset for the first time ever. Too heavy. And the initial reviews of the DA9200 PM are not good.

Not an easy choice for a bona fide Dura Ace Fanboy!

m3bas

by m3bas

SRM Origin works with 9200 chain rings.
Zero issues ever with mine.
Not cheap though…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

naylor343

by naylor343

I have no experience of any power meter other than Power2Max. I have owned two, the original and later updated to a type-s as it had better chainring compatabilty.

I have used both as my only crankset, at least 5 days per week, swapping between my road bike, winter bike and gravel bike. Never have I had a single issue. This is over a period of 9 years.

One last thing to add, years of being active on this forum, and multiple others, you just never hear of anyone with a bad thing to say about P2M, they are just solid.

Edit: I should add, both P2M were on Rotor 24mm cranks and using shimano bb, zero issues.