Anybody racing Cat.1-2-3 regularely on generic frame ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:24 pm
spartacus wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:06 pm
Pretty hilarious the difference between this and the watt weenie thread.
+1
What's the difference between those two threads you guys think you see?

Proponents of aero are saying it makes a difference in both threads. We're saying in the best possible case an integrated frame module makes about 20W over a bunch of round tubes.

We're also saying it makes a difference in races. You can come out ahead in a photo finish because of aero gains (no matter how you get them.) You can break the elastic because of aero gains. You can get away in crosswinds because of aero gains. You can stay fresher in a race because of aero gains.

The fact that people race at a high level on "whatever" doesn't change any of this. Those people would be faster on modern aero bikes. For whatever reason they choose not to. Some people choose to race crits on their backup bikes due to the inherent risk and the fact that they aren't paid to race. Some people race old steel bikes because it's part of their carefully groomed IG persona.

And sure, sometimes we bet wrong according to our race plan. At a recent hilly race with a climb finish, I assumed I'd need my lighter wheels for the key climb. That turned out not to be the case. I would have benefitted from my deep wheels because I spent the last 40 minutes of the race in a solo TT trying to secure the last podium spot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com