Specialized

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

clutchup

by clutchup

Has Specialized gone mad? Their prices have gotten absolutely insane. $700.00 for a pair of sworks shoes. $12k for an ultergra di2 bike and $21k if you want sworks with dura ace or red.

I feel like a couple years ago top of the line shoes were 400 bucks and and a bike with ultegra di2 was 6-7k....even then. I know prices everywhere are through the roof but holy ****. Looks like the days of being a gear junkie are over lol.

Anyway just wanted to rant but the cycling industry has gone mad!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Andrew69

by Andrew69

There are several cars I can buy that are less than the price of a S-Works SL7 here in Australia

Thats just stupid

warthog101

by warthog101

I hope people stop buying them if that is the price.
If people are going to pay it they are going to happily pocket the profit.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

They've been supporting three UCI world teams, so it's you who have to pay the advertising costs. And the pension Sagan receives. Instead, you are granted the right to buy the same stuff as those pros (see Sagan Collection 2022 despite winning anything big) so you should feel honored.

RadB

by RadB

They wouldn't do it if they didn't think it would work. On the flip side it may make it more attainable and sustainable for competitors to secure market share with better quality products. Imo this whole period has a year or three to flush out all the weird market forces and things we have seen.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

RadB wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:29 am
They wouldn't do it if they didn't think it would work. On the flip side it may make it more attainable and sustainable for competitors to secure market share with better quality products. Imo this whole period has a year or three to flush out all the weird market forces and things we have seen.
Unfortunately it just seems to shift the market more to Chinese brands. And even they are taling advantage of the price hikes. The fact that a Seka is $2000 and the brand could disappear tomorrow if anything went wrong is quite sad.

My current two bikes (TT and road) are the first time I could not justify the top frame and DA. They are both second tier frames with (mostly) Ultegra.

Also, there's a chance prices will freeze when supply chains are back to normal, but it is extremely unlikely they will ever drop.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

BigBoyND wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:02 am
Also, there's a chance prices will freeze when supply chains are back to normal, but it is extremely unlikely they will ever drop.
It think its going to depend very much on up coming sales within various countries if they go into recession.
Obviously the first thing that people stop buying is luxury goods and the top end bikes are very much luxury goods.

I just find it ridiculous that I can buy a Scott Foil RC with DA for AU$12500 (which is already expensive) but Specilized want AU$20100 for a S-Works SL7 with DA
As a comparison, a new S5 with DA is around AU$16500 (AU$12500 with Ultegra)
I cant say I see too many new S-Works bikes on the road, although I do lots of earlier S-Works.
The question is, is that due to the crazy price or simply due to the fact that people cant get theirs hands on one??

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

A Foil with DA for AU$12500 seems like a steal with the current state of things…

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Australia really needs their own dollar sign. I got clickbaited one too many times.
"$10,000 bike!!!" - turns out it's $7000 US.
Just put "Specialized Australia" in the title, as the Scott Foil in my country costs the exact same as a Dura Ace SL7, and the Cervelo S5 is "only" $1,500 cheaper.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Buexx

by Buexx

For EU I think there was no price increase just yet? Altho I heard yesterday that Specialized is about to change their consumer model from shops + direct sales to only direct sales (like Canyon). Sounds like another way to maximize the profits.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:23 am
A Foil with DA for AU$12500 seems like a steal with the current state of things…
Yeah, and with Trek incresing the price of the Madone closer to the Sl7, I think it may well me my next bike.
Only 1 in Australia at the moment (in a size 54) and its hanging on the wall of the Australian distributor as eye candy till semptember.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Judging by the number of SL7's I see about, people are still happily buying them at these prices.

So many riders I talk to say the Tarmac is their dream bike, Specialized have done a great job with their marketing as well as making a good product.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:23 am
Agreed. I'd grab one before Scott realise and put their own prices up.

fsp15923

by fsp15923

To the economist out there, I see an opportunity to produce a Specialized SL7 DA index...similar to Big Mac Index

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

MarshMellow

by MarshMellow

Out There: Cost of Freight has entered the stratosphere. There's literally a 3x cost increase and, at something similar for negotiated-rates. That plus some Ground Service providers also tack on a fuel charge, which fluctuates. These things all add up.

As for the Bicycle itself, this thread here is somewhat comedic. Threads dedicated to what quality is had from either genuine knock off products or, most likely NEw! AmAZe! products built right along side in China.

This is not here to slander China or Chinese production, it IS NOT anything similar to European, American, Japanese manufacturing. There's not a single Made in China product which is not pre-determined as an asset to the Chinese Military's being tasked with Security. Next, the handful of 'Senator-Types' for whom have tasks to lead their Economic Development Zones have to maintain decorum within the politburo - meaning any manufacturing within a sector is seen as a form of national-security.

This being waayyyy overly simplified - there are companies which choose to invest within Chinese Manufacturing and create an environment for Business. Specialized entered into agreement with Merida for whom holds firm against the near-blinded counterfeiting stigma that is Chinese goods.

For which a chargé d'affaires status gets maintained on WeightWeenies... ...followed by shock and awe over median current days prices.

These things all add up, you know.
RimClencher wrote:
Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:56 am
That's your own fault for riding with no clothes on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com