Weight weenies vs watt weenies...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spartacus

by spartacus

Lina wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:38 pm
It's a fact that you can save a lot of watts with an aero bike + wheels + kit + position.
I think pretty much everyone is aware of this but the interesting part is trying to figure out what kind of real world gains are up for grabs...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

V3Rs

by V3Rs

Exactly!

Singular

by Singular

A good start is to have a look at the Win Tunnel series on Youtube by Specialized. Sure, it is made by a player in the business (one that is not my favourite corporate citizen...) but it is still pretty interesting findings.

V3Rs

by V3Rs

Would this work?
Get a C-40 with a watt meter and have it be in a good state of tune up with properly inflated tires. Ride at some reasonable output say 300 watts
with no wind. Record speed and compare to an S-5.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

V3Rs wrote:Would this work?
Get a C-40 with a watt meter and have it be in a good state of tune up with properly inflated tires. Ride at some reasonable output say 300 watts
with no wind. Record speed and compare to an S-5.
I'm sure GCN does this kind of testing a few times already...

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

spartacus

by spartacus

Kayrehn wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:35 pm
I'm sure GCN does this kind of testing a few times already...
and found around 20w difference

V3Rs

by V3Rs

Do you have link?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

V3Rs wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:43 pm
Do you have link?
first page has one
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

V3Rs

by V3Rs

Wow- so why do some disagree with GCN's conclusions?

warthog101

by warthog101

maxim809 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:01 am
GCN did it

https://youtu.be/1mJ06mro5fw?t=814
I didn't mind this either.
https://youtu.be/VHsLMCTkFso
Not super controlled, but they made some attempt at keeping it consistent by using the same power, bike, rider, position and tyres.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

V3Rs wrote:Wow- so why do some disagree with GCN's conclusions?
Hi. Do you have specific examples on the type of disagreement you have been hearing?

I’m happy to type up a storm and explain the nuances, but there is just so much that I feel a targeted step by step approach is more conducive.

In general: I believe disagreements occur because lots of people do not understand aerodynamics.

For one: It must be measured as a system. NOT individual modular parts and “added together” like weight. I would not be surprised if some people disagreed with me here, and while there are exceptions…. For most practical cases if they are stuck here, then we are all gonna be in for a bad time.

Two: It’s often counterintuitive. Something that “looks” aero might not actually BE aero.

Three: The average Joe/Jane cannot easily measure it, let alone see it. Thus, most only have a theoretical understanding of it with no practical hands on experience on quantifying aero gains. Then they argue like they are right, based on this incomplete understanding. Bad times.

Anyway those are some guess as to why people disagree.

If you squint, the fourth takeaway is that with aero, one solution that works for you, might not actually work for someone else. Or anybody else.

The process to get the most aerodynamic for you is VERY individual. But if people think one aerodynamic helmet or aero bike that posts the best result in a marketing article is actually the fastest for everyone, again, we are all gonna be in for a bad time.

jlok

by jlok

So an "average joe", who doesn't understand aero, is totally fine (and possibly should) to put aero at a lower priority when deciding which bike to buy. It's b'cos...

normal person can't judge how aero a bike is in real world, and it's personal so the other's saying (including mfg's info) is likely not applicable, plus when one is to change wheels or components, all aero things would change (as a system consideration).
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

V3Rs

by V3Rs

most of these responses have nothing to do with the question. maxim's explanation as to what is the fault with the gcn "test" is off target... sorry

If someone were to state why those tests yield incorrect results for THAT study, then fine... the rest is off target chatter...

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

V3Rs wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:12 pm
most of these responses have nothing to do with the question. maxim's explanation as to what is the fault with the gcn "test" is off target... sorry

If someone were to state why those tests yield incorrect results for THAT study, then fine... the rest is off target chatter...
They didn't test at yaw. Which is where most of the wheel and frame gains are over the old equipment.

They quote some much bigger gains here for things like skinsuit and helmet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd0fXhDkH84

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

V3Rs

by V3Rs

That said, then I assume you believe that the 45 watt figure is too low?

I don't think there is anymore to be said here...