Bike build questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lookryder

by Lookryder

I recently had my Factor Ostro built by my LBS. Because they don’t carry Factor, and because of the cable routing/integrated handle bar complexities, they said it would be a “pro” ie more expensive build. The final cost seemed much more than I was expecting, but I paid it since I’d rather not work on disc brakes myself having only ever used rim brakes and mechanical drivetrains.

There were several problems with the build that I had to fix. Some were trivial and easy for me to fix - a loose seat post not torqued to spec, an askew brake hood - but one issue that I was not expecting was poor shifting with the ultegra Di2. The front mech was shifting so poorly that every other shift from the 36 to 52 chainring would drop the chain; there are several scratches on my brand new crankset because of this. I have fixed this issue myself - quite easily I might add - , but am pretty disappointed that my new bike has several scratches on it and that my “pro” build required extra work on my part.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? I’m wondering if it’s crazy to ask for some sort of refund or compensation on my build since it was not done well? Thoughts appreciated.

Edited to say that I love my new Ostro.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lucendi

by Lucendi

Did you agree on a specific price beforehand? If so how much did they go over?

I guess you could ask them to fix the issues you have found, but you've already done so yourself.

Unfortunately I think your best course of action is to not go back there again.

-

I'd like to add that a bit of a shake down should be done after any build complete or partial to find whatever issues there are.

Lookryder

by Lookryder

Lucendi wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:06 pm
Did you agree on a specific price beforehand? If so how much did they go over?

I guess you could ask them to fix the issues you have found, but you've already done so yourself.

Unfortunately I think your best course of action is to not go back there again.

-

I'd like to add that a bit of a shake down should be done after any build complete or partial to find whatever issues there are.
There was no agreed to price before hand; the said that it could vary depending on the complexity of the build. Because they were not familiar with the bike, they couldn’t give specifics until the build was done.

Yeah, I should have inspected it better when I picked it up, but I got it right as they were closing for a long weekend and I was anxious to get out and ride it. That one’s on me.

Lucendi

by Lucendi

If there's no agreed upon price it's difficult to argue that they significantly went over what you expected it to cost. And since you paid them, that's also an acceptance of the price. - I don't think you have any legal grounds to dispute the price after the fact.

You could go back to the shop and inform them of the issues you found and ask them for a partial refund or some store credit. If they agree to this it's pure goodwill and nothing they are obligated to give.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

The brand and model of bike should have no bearing on being able to set up gears properly. I'd certainly look into compensation for the damage to the frame.

Part of the reason I started learning how to do everything myself was that I just had too many poor experiences from shops doing work. For example a common one was forgetting to do up bolts properly. I get that they often are very busy and need to take on as much work as possible to turn a profit but that shouldn't lead to corners being cut.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

CampagYOLO wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:16 pm
The brand and model of bike should have no bearing on being able to set up gears properly. I'd certainly look into compensation for the damage to the frame.

Part of the reason I started learning how to do everything myself was that I just had too many poor experiences from shops doing work. For example a common one was forgetting to do up bolts properly. I get that they often are very busy and need to take on as much work as possible to turn a profit but that shouldn't lead to corners being cut.
Damage to crankset, not frame. Also from the story seemed self inflicted or at least happened under the ops possession. Gonna be a hard prove.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:31 pm
CampagYOLO wrote:

Damage to crankset, not frame. Also from the story seemed self inflicted or at least happened under the ops possession. Gonna be a hard prove.
My mistake, I saw this line and thought it meant frame "but am pretty disappointed that my new bike has several scratches on it"

the jackel

by the jackel

For me there is only really one approach. You need to go in and talk to them, express your disappoint with the level of service and tell them all the things that weren't good. A decent business will want to hear this and should be both apologetic and try to look after you. If they just pay you lip service then I'd not use them again and I'd have no issue tellng other local riders to avoid them.

I personally wouldn't be asking for compensation etc, although I think you deserve it for the scratches. They should take care of it without being asked or at least ask you what you'd like them to do about it. If they don't then that's a lost customer for them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

CampagYOLO wrote:

Same here. I've done my last three bike builds myself. It's not rocket science, and like OP, I've felt like I've paid top dollar for shoddy work in the past. The OP's loose seat post is a tell. It's the easiest thing in the world to properly torque that bolt to spec. What else did they not do properly? That's not to say that all bike shops are shoddy. I've had good ones; it's just that with a couple bad experiences, I'd just rather not take the risk and do it myself. And I find it fun and relaxing to do a level of attention to detail (think Calnago build) that most shops simply won't achieve.