Colnago C68 Worth it ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Dov wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:29 pm
Pricing is a funny thing. I was musing just yesterday about the material differences between a S-WORKS SL7 at £14,500 and a BMW R nineT (motorbike) at £13,500.

Road bikes are hideously over-valued IMO. I have a few expensive ones so I'm 'eyes-open' on this.
Yes yes yes. I wound pick R9T any day!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

hannawald

by hannawald

I don't know about any Colnago dealer with test bikes. The same for Bianchi etc. Sometimes they have test days when distributor lend them bikes for couple of days.

If you love Colnago buy Colnago. If you don't prefer some brand buy the one with best geometry for you. C68 is more aggresive than Colnago used to be and not signed by Ernesto any more if I recall correctly. There is no Colnago magic making it better than other bikes. You can find more bikes with 72 degree head tube angle etc. You can find other comfortable bikes...it is not the bike riding out of this world. It is considered luxury made in Italy bike, not the fastest, the most comfortable...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

OP flat out mentioned that he's npt interested in a discussion about the price of it but here we are...

I own a C60 for the lugged look, have a little interest in the C64, and I now think the C68has departed so far away from that look that I have no lust for it at all. But I don't think any top tier bike will ride badly, and with that weird racy geometry you can actually race on it too if you want so if you like the looks of it why not.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

wilwil

by wilwil

How does the top end Pinerello compare to the C64, C68? Both being Italian luxury goods.

Swannie

by Swannie

Weird, if you want to test a Colnago in Belgium, you get in contact with Codagex who imports them and you get a testdrive with ludo dierckxsens.
Also if you want to buy a Mercedes-Benz at my dealership, i'll fix you a testdrive... G63, E53 or whatever. If we aint got it, we'll fix it through the Experience center @ Brussels. Off course we will check credibility or go with you on the testride but at this pricetag i think its not more than normal you can test it before purchase.

V3Rs

by V3Rs

I have an Ext C and love it... but I do like the question about the R9T and the comparison of price to the C68.

Two high end companies with a very different objects that sell for similar money. It is amazing that the two objects
cost the same. The shear cost of raw good to produce is not similar, the engineering is not even close and so many other
measurable differences- with a scale tipped so heavily to one side.... and yet the high bike companies get away
with it.... I mean we allow them to get away with it... but it makes little sense!

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

V3Rs wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:42 pm
I have an Ext C and love it... but I do like the question about the R9T and the comparison of price to the C68.

Two high end companies with a very different objects that sell for similar money. It is amazing that the two objects
cost the same. The shear cost of raw good to produce is not similar, the engineering is not even close and so many other
measurable differences- with a scale tipped so heavily to one side.... and yet the high bike companies get away
with it.... I mean we allow them to get away with it... but it makes little sense!
The Colnago is basically a "luxury" good, not so different from a Hermes bag or Patek watch. These high end bikes, and particularly items like the C68, may not quite be Veblen goods, but they're pretty darn close.

Me, I'll take a Ducati Scrambler Dark Pro 1100 with my 13 thou.

APPROVED

by APPROVED

Hey, we made a review and we aren't sponsored or anything by Colnago or any dealer...An honest review. If you have any questions I will be more than happy to answer and also schedule a video call if you prefer.

Colnago C68 review

Final thoughts on BMC Timemcahine comparisment with Colnago C68

I hope it helps.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

^
Well, in short the wheels appeal more than C68.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Dov

by Dov

I always think it's best to wait at least a year before buying a new Nag. The launch colourways are always a bit rubbish and in truth the good ones come mid-cycle (after year 2). I rekcon I'll buy a C68 if they do a Mapei variant.
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

milanv

by milanv

wilwil wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:39 pm
How does the top end Pinerello compare to the C64, C68? Both being Italian luxury goods.
C64 and C68 are different bikes.

DP83

by DP83

I live in the USA and it's worth it to me. I imported a frame from Italy.

I bought a C68 frame for SIGNIFICANTLY less than I could get an s-works SL7 all in. This includes the insanely expensive CCO1 integrated cockpit.

The USD/EURO exchange rate is at 20 year highs. That's basically a 25% discount for a US buyer right there.

Also no VAT tax, no 11% duty because it's just a frame, no US tax that I'd have to pay buying a specialized product here and I got a 5% discount from the distributor.

I couldn't believe the price I got it at compared to buying any high end offering from a US (BMC, Specialized, Cannondale, Trek) retailer.

Something to think about if in USA.
Last edited by DP83 on Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VeloCris

by VeloCris

my buddy actually races his 16k colnago c68 lol and hes quick on it. but its low level cat 4 but still you can def ride this thing fast and he says its so comfortable and unique. if you can get it do it, we dont need any more sworks around lol

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

rajMAN wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:03 am
"my LBS don't even allow you to test ride these high end bikes or even have them in stock" Imagine walking into a car showroom and the salesman says "we don't have the models in stock and you can't test drive them either" :roll:
Imagine walking into a bike showroom and they had every bike, size, and color so you could road test it. Yeah, they would be out of business before the doors opened.

Stores cannot afford that. Usually they stock what they can sell/turn over. After a year, that inventory must be discounted and soon you are not even making money.

Everyone should run a successful business and then they would not ask such a silly question.

AJS914

by AJS914

Who did you buy from? I was looking at the exchange rate and thinking that if I could score a C64 for a good deal I'd do it.

DP83 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:24 pm
I live in the USA and it's worth it to me. I imported a frame from Italy.

I bought a C68 frame for SIGNIFICANTLY less than I could get an s-works SL7 all in. This includes the insanely expensive CCO1 integrated cockpit.

The USD/EURO exchange rate is at 20 year highs. That's basically a 25% discount for a US buyer right there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com