Colnago C68 Worth it ?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

pesto13

by pesto13

Hello All,

Has anyone ridden this bike that is not paid sponsor like all the videos on YouTube? I would like to hear about your experience. my LBS don't allow you to test ride these high-end bikes or even have them in stock. Currently, I own an SL7 and was considering switching to a Colnago C68 because my understanding is that the ride quality of the Colnago C line is better than any other bike. Yes, I know that a good pair of wheels and tires play a major role in the quality but let's assume that we are all using the same pair of wheels and tires. Also, Please let's not talk about overpriced bikes since that is not the objective of the post and I am very aware that basically, we are living in times where a bicycle cost more than cars :lol:

Thanks in advanced
:beerchug:

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Sorry I havent ridden a C68. But I have ridden a 50, 59, 60 and 64 (owned a 60 and a V3RS). The ride quality of Colnago C series bikes is not better than other bikes. If you're expecting them to be better when you swing your leg over one, just like I was, you'll be disappointed. They are very nice, and suit a particular style of rider. If you want a rocketship speed machine, then the C series is not for you. If you want a buttery all-rounder thats on the sluggish side of the spectrum, get a C series. Brand loyalty and and the illusory reputation of superiority cloud people's vision when it comes to Colnagos.
Sarto Seta|StorckF.3|Enigma Elite HSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|Bianchi XR4/2|BMC SLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHelium SL/SLX|BH Ultralight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|Time RXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloSLC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

derosa2000

by derosa2000

Not tested C68 but C64 feels amazingly comfortable and absolutely stiff enough , real pleasure to ride and race ! C68 must follow this path , I hope so .. I compare to my previous Giant TCR Advanced SL , Canyon Ultimate CF SLX and I will not mention my older bikes as it is not comparable .

velov

by velov

Basically what Zappa said....If you prefer a more stable ride over a more twitchy race feel then a C-series would be better. In my opinion the C series peaked at the EPS (if you don't need disc).

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

zappafile123 wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:05 pm
Sorry I havent ridden a C68. But I have ridden a 50, 59, 60 and 64 (owned a 60 and a V3RS). The ride quality of Colnago C series bikes is not better than other bikes. If you're expecting them to be better when you swing your leg over one, just like I was, you'll be disappointed. They are very nice, and suit a particular style of rider. If you want a rocketship speed machine, then the C series is not for you. If you want a buttery all-rounder thats on the sluggish side of the spectrum, get a C series. Brand loyalty and and the illusory reputation of superiority cloud people's vision when it comes to Colnagos.
Did you find that the 60 and V3 rode much the same even though the geometry is different from one to the other. And now that the 68 geometry is more aggresive than the V series and C series in my given sizes (54S). I have the V2 and the only reason I purchased it was for the geometry alone as I am not swayed by the Colnago name one way or the other.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

rajMAN

by rajMAN

"my LBS don't even allow you to test ride these high end bikes or even have them in stock" Imagine walking into a car showroom and the salesman says "we don't have the models in stock and you can't test drive them either" :roll:

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

rajMAN wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:03 am
"my LBS don't even allow you to test ride these high end bikes or even have them in stock" Imagine walking into a car showroom and the salesman says "we don't have the models in stock and you can't test drive them either" :roll:
Even more relevant now that bikes cost as much as some cars
2019 Spec Venge 58cm 6.9kg
- R9270/R8170, Quarq, i9.65
2021 Canyon Speedmax Disc CF8 XL heavy
- R8000, P2M, SwissSide 80 + Citec Disc

Retired:
2020 Pina Prince 59.5cm 7.4kg
2017 Cervélo P5 58cm heavy

Nejmann

by Nejmann

rajMAN wrote:

Try buy a Rolex/AP/Patek or a Porsche 911.

TT: I always loved Colnago.. But actually think there is so many better bikes at the moment..

TheBeautifulOne

by TheBeautifulOne

rajMAN wrote:
Well frankly speaking , what were you expecting? Try to go and test-ride a ferrari or any similar "veblen goods". C68 is just that, Hermes bag for well heeled men over 30s ...

As for the main topic. I am also very curious. Im a C64 owner and I disagree with comment above that there is nothing special to the bike.

Yes, if you are expecting to be 10 sec faster over 10k segment you will probably be disappointed but the ride quality/feel is on another level compared to most of the bikes I have ever ridden or tested. Paint quality is also superb, although I read some disappointed comments for early production runs on 64.

overdriven98

by overdriven98

Nejmann wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:22 am
rajMAN wrote:

TT: I always loved Colnago.. But actually think there is so many better bikes at the moment..
I get that, but I'd never compare a "bicycle" to AP or Patek, there's barely any actal craftmanship in a bicycle, it's almost an insult to them.....
they are just simply not the same league

TheBeautifulOne

by TheBeautifulOne

overdriven98 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:21 pm
I get that, but I'd never compare a "bicycle" to AP or Patek, there's barely any actal craftmanship in a bicycle, it's almost an insult to them.....
OK so lets compare it to something in similar price brackets -steel rolex submariner

I would argue that C68 frame manufacturing, painting and assembly of bike involves more craftmanship and man-hours than production of a rolex watch , yet for some mysterious reason, people are willing to pay tripple the retail price for a rolex submariner...

so apparently nobody cares about amount of labor that went into production of a particular good... pure supply/demand logic

Nejmann

by Nejmann

overdriven98 wrote:
Nejmann wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:22 am
rajMAN wrote:

I agree.... Thankfully my LBS and AD doesn't act like that :D

Dov

by Dov

Pricing is a funny thing. I was musing just yesterday about the material differences between a S-WORKS SL7 at £14,500 and a BMW R nineT (motorbike) at £13,500.

Road bikes are hideously over-valued IMO. I have a few expensive ones so I'm 'eyes-open' on this.
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

overdriven98

by overdriven98

TheBeautifulOne wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:31 pm
overdriven98 wrote:
OK so lets compare it to something in similar price brackets -steel rolex submariner

I would argue that C68 frame manufacturing, painting and assembly of bike involves more craftmanship and man-hours than production of a rolex watch , yet for some mysterious reason, people are willing to pay tripple the retail price for a rolex submariner...

so apparently nobody cares about amount of labor that went into production of a particular good... pure supply/demand logic
that I could very much agree on, Rolex are very much similar to bicycle, there's evident suggest that Rolex sub contract the bracelet and casing maybe even dial to far east, and just slap the movement on it, but at least they got their QC right when bike comany not, it's funny when you get a eff up Rolex(misprint dial or something) it would actually be a collectable, while you get a eff up bike frame and you are in a world of pain

AJS914

by AJS914

The bike industry figured out luxury marketing a while back. None of these frames are worth $6k. A stainless Rolex shouldn't be a $10k+ watch but production is limited such that the wait list for the watch is always long and wealthy enough people, for whom an extra $5k is meaningless, will pay it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com