Clincher is not dead new tech from Vittoria

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
spartan

by spartan

https://www.vittoria.com/ww/en/technolo ... ight-speed

so it matches latex rr but 30gm . long live the clincher tire

http://www.cyclesetforme.fr/test-de-rou ... ght-speed/

"Regarding rolling on smooth rollers, I find no significant difference that could be within the measurement tolerance of the SRM. 115.5 w Latex vs 115.7 w Ultra Speed.. We can validate Vittoria's statements that this TPU is at least as fast as a latex for 50 g less in this 25/30 format. Regarding the vibration test, it is unfortunately in line with my previous one. This TPU behaves like the Wolfpack TPU at 22 g that I tested during the Aerothan article. With 148.6 w vs 144 w for the Latex, the Ultra Speed ​​generates more losses. It's 3.2% more, in real life at 30 km / h, it would represent 0.7 w on a granular bitumen."
Last edited by spartan on Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Discodan

by Discodan

Having stood on the side of the road whilst multiple riding buddies have had various problems with TPU tubes I'm not holding my breath here. They are great as a super light and compact spare tube, but one out of three times don't seem to work when called to go in a tyre (my small biased sample set only of course, others may have seen better results). I hope the technology can bed down, particularly now that there are more players in the market, as I'd like to use one as the spare on my one tubed bike.

spartan

by spartan

issues were with early version with valves leaking due to manufacturing defect. i have been using pirelli smart tubes zero issues after 1000km
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

Eh, latex left out of the puncture resistance data comparison.

One of the things I love about latex besides the rolling resistance is how well they seem to survive. For me anyway.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

They are trying to sell their inner tubes. Why would they compare the tubes with 'real' competition. All manufacturers do it. It's up to the buyer to distinguish if they are good or not.

Normally, new products do take awhile before they pass the consumer tests. Good thing there is no software in that tube, it might be worst.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TPU tubes make awesome spares, but the way I ride, it would be a huge downer to stop and replace a tube. I'm either in a group ride, riding to a group ride or racing. Tubeless is the way to go for uninterrupted riding.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

Butcher wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:15 am
They are trying to sell their inner tubes. Why would they compare the tubes with 'real' competition. All manufacturers do it. It's up to the buyer to distinguish if they are good or not.

Normally, new products do take awhile before they pass the consumer tests. Good thing there is no software in that tube, it might be worst.

Absolutely. It says everything.

Just merely bringing up another point for the OP that though these TPU tubes weigh a lot less, latex tubes still reign supreme for me due to the puncture resistance factor I've experienced. Since RR is on par according to their testing, I'll take puncture resistance over a "few" grams weight savings.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Why are you assuming TPU is less puncture resistant? I've switched from latex to TPU and have not had this experience. It's lighter, takes less room as a spare, is very easy to patch, has the same RR, and I've experienced no difference in punctures.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Any idea about ride quality with these new tubes? It may be entirely in my head but I preferred the ride on latex tubes to the Schwalbe Aerothan ones I tried.
Both better than butyl tubes of course.

C36

by C36

CampagYOLO wrote:Any idea about ride quality with these new tubes? It may be entirely in my head but I preferred the ride on latex tubes to the Schwalbe Aerothan ones I tried.
Both better than butyl tubes of course.
It’s agreed that they are stiffer than latex and degrade the road touch. We also start to have several hints that their rolling performance degrades with the road quality.
Cycleetforme roller test is great, for a long time he put his tests in parallel with the ones from Tour and BRR so they are interesting data-points.

blaugrana

by blaugrana

Disc brake only, though, so only good for peope still using "dead tech" as long as it's just one bit of "dead tech" at a time. Jokes aside, it would be interesting to know how the patches hold up, because they don't seem to be very reliable with other TPU tubes, at least not enough to be a permanent repair just like you can do with butyl and latex.

wilwil

by wilwil

How do these differ from the Pirelli version?

jih

by jih

From the subject of this thread, I'm feeling like it's implying that clinchers might be dead? Since when and what replaced them?

Maybe it's a naming issue. Around here, tubeless is a subset of clincher, since tubeless only loses the tube and the tyre still clinches in the same way.

Is it common naming in some cycle cultures to use "clincher" to mean something like what I would call a "clincher tyre with a tube"?

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

When it comes to punctures, it's really hard to believe determine what is better or not.

Last year, I had several flats. Certainly more than I have in the last 10 years of riding. Why? I contribute it to dumb luck. So, to say one tube flats more than another one, that has always puzzled me. How can that be proven. Yes, if they flat without riding it, I get that, but rarely that is the case.

I like my latex tubes. I'm ok with checking out something lighter, but usually I'm not going to be the first on the band wagon. Just like the new Speedplay pedals.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

BigBoyND wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:58 am
Why are you assuming TPU is less puncture resistant? I've switched from latex to TPU and have not had this experience. It's lighter, takes less room as a spare, is very easy to patch, has the same RR, and I've experienced no difference in punctures.
Material properties are different. Plus and minus. We can say the TPU is stiffer but Latex is much much more elastic. Try to stretch both tube, it's not even close. Latex elasticity is many times more than TPU tube.

TPU require more FORCE to puncture than latex.
So, a force measurement puncture resistant test (like on rollingresistance.com) will give more puncture resistance score to TPU tube.

But, Latex tube require much more DISPLACEMENT to puncture than TPU. Say, if something punch 2mm into the tire. TPU will just get holed. It isn't that flexible. But latex can conform around that pointy thing for a long while. Until the abrasion also thinning the tube at that problematic point to eventually fail as well.

So, force vs displacement advantage?
Well, if you run bare tube the TPU will be more durable. But we also have tire that provide resistance force against things going through the tube. An object may punch in 1mm and stop by the tire, or 2mm in and stop, or 3mm in etc. regardless of the tube. In my opinion, more elasticity of latex tube is a bigger advantage against puncture risk.

In the case of pinch flat, more elastic material is harder to get pinch cut. So, latex tube is, in theory, more resistant to pinch flat as well.

PS. My experience testing Tubolito(s) also conform with what I typed. It's the reason I still use latex tube til date because I run pretty low tire pressure and latex tube managed to survive so many rim strikes while Tubolito(s) don't live to tell the tale.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com