Black Inc items

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

How are Black Inc items in general?
Listing items I need to buy for my new build, Factor O2 disc

Ideally I would do a 1 piece handlebar but I want to travel with bike so need stem and bar combo for my scicon hardcase.

Thinking of Black Inc stem, bar and seatpost.
Wheels......no idea yet........maybe try out Hyper Lun???

Opinions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I have the standard road bar!
I like it! I bought 100% to try out how i felt about it's shape.
I like a handlebar which is as flat as possible. This bar is OK, perfectly flat it isn't.
Flat would mean 0 degree ramp angle.

For seatpost i would go with Bike Ahead!
Why, excellent clamping mech + a special coat that will rid all slip and you need very low torque to fix the seatpost.
4Nm is almost overkill!!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

spib

by spib

Bumping this because I'm looking at the black inc integrated barstem. How flexy are these compared to a beefy alu stem and carbon bar combo (zipp service course + prime primavera aero) I have "the one" integrated bars and they are quite flexy.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

spib wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:28 pm
Bumping this because I'm looking at the black inc integrated barstem. How flexy are these compared to a beefy alu stem and carbon bar combo (zipp service course + prime primavera aero) I have "the one" integrated bars and they are quite flexy.
If you want stiffer, go for Visions combos.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

spib

by spib

wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:40 pm
spib wrote:
I see the visions are far more popular among other racers, however I like the shape of the black inc bars as they have a little more real estate after the 90 degree bend towards the hood which is what I really liked about the one bar and stem, though it surely contributes to the flex.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

spib wrote:
Not as stiff as alu. If you are looking for that rock solid feel, the Black Inc is not for you. Stiff enough to sprint IMO, but not rock solid.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

spib wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:57 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:40 pm
spib wrote:
I see the visions are far more popular among other racers, however I like the shape of the black inc bars as they have a little more real estate after the 90 degree bend towards the hood which is what I really liked about the one bar and stem, though it surely contributes to the flex.
If you would ask me, i'd say, forget about these combos and get yourself a good stem and the bar. That's what i use and i think it's way better.
There's likely more issues getting a combo than separates. It looks cool, but that's about it.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

MilesG813

by MilesG813

I have the Black Inc integrated handlebar and stem on my CAAD 10 and find it much better than the C3 stock setup. Although to be fair that setup was much to0 wide and now I have a much better position. I do not have enough experience to say if it is stiffer than other options, and while I am no Manx Missile, I do not find there to be much, if any, flex when I sprint.

For the sake of the thread I also have the seatpost which seems to do its job satifactorily. I am not sure how much it softened the ride over the C3 aluminum one I had before but definitely lighter and looks nicer. Much easier interface with the saddle compared to the two bolt sandwich type. Also has no problem accepting Fizik carbon saddle rails with the large 7x9 clamps.
Last edited by MilesG813 on Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2022 Specialized S-Works SL7 I Ultegra R8170 I Princeton Carbonworks 6560
2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 I 105 R5700 I Zipp 404s

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

spib wrote:
I have one and love it. I'm riding a Tarmac SL7 and had the Tarmac stem with the Aerofly bars and it was ok, but I hated the extreme flatness of the bars. I like riding on the tops and the Aerofly was too uncomfortable. Not to mention the Tarmac stem is super heavy (~180g in 110mm). I first tried the Alpinist bar/stem for the weight savings but it was way too flexy. I'm around 85kg and can drop around 1,600W in a sprint, and the Alpinist cockpit made me nervous. And after seeing somebody snap one on here, I went looking for other options and found the Black Inc cockpit. It has an oval top section so semi-aero, and was really comfortable when riding on the tops. And it's stiff enough for me. I personally don't notice much, if any difference compared to the Tarmac stem/Aerofly setup I had. Never had an issue sprinting full out. And it's around 320g total so more than 100g weight savings. So it's lighter, more comfortable, and looks better IMO.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

I agree that the top bar section is nice and not wide like other aero bars. I have one on the Ostro and got one for the Aethos as well. A bit thicker than a traditional round bar…more oval (like squashed/flattened round). New Garmin mount adapter is nice and adjustable.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc