Fake cassettes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sock3t

by Sock3t

I found a decent deal on a Dura Ace cassette - are any of these known to be counterfeit like most of the chains are?

It was $180 shipped, so not a killer but definitely not bad, either.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joeeboh

by joeeboh

please try them out and let me know. are they from AliExpress?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I’d rather pay $200 for an Edco/PrestaCycle/Recon monoblock cassette that is significantly lighter and won’t end up creaking like a DA cassette. It also won’t gouge freehub bodies. Plus that whole it might be counterfeit thing.

kode54

by kode54

Tons of fake DA 11-spd chains out there as well with packaging. At $180 for a DA cassette, I would be suspect.

Regarding drivetrain critical parts, I tend to buy from known etailers.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

kode54 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:48 am
Tons of fake DA 11-spd chains out there as well with packaging. At $180 for a DA cassette, I would be suspect.

I won't buy Shimano (chains, cleats, cassettes) from Amazon. Reputable cycling specific etailers, sure.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:10 am
kode54 wrote:

I won't buy Shimano (chains, cleats, cassettes) from Amazon. Reputable cycling specific etailers, sure.
This
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

charirider

by charirider

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:10 am
kode54 wrote:

May I ask you the reason?
I bought a ton of DA stuff: 9100 STIs, rim brake set, rd... all came mint and original (I am in Japan) for the price 30% lower than in LBS.
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

charirider wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:22 am

I bought a ton of DA stuff: 9100 STIs, rim brake set, rd... all came mint and original (I am in Japan) for the price 30% lower than in LBS.

The US Amazon store is littered with junk sellers out of China that send their counterfeit goods to Amazon fulfillment centers. These counterfeits sometimes use the same UPCs as authentic goods and get put in the same bin. So even if you think you’re buying something from an trustworthy Prime/“fulfilled by Amazon” seller, you still might get a fake.

jj911c2

by jj911c2

I had the same issue purchasing cassettes on Amazon. It showed up w/o original packaging and I had poor shifting. I swapped it with same model from LBS and shifting was fixed which led me to believe the Amazon one was counterfit.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:17 am
The US Amazon store is littered with junk sellers out of China that send their counterfeit goods to Amazon fulfillment centers. These counterfeits sometimes use the same UPCs as authentic goods and get put in the same bin. So even if you think you’re buying something from an trustworthy Prime/“fulfilled by Amazon” seller, you still might get a fake.
This. The same is happening even with popular (mostly tech content) books now where the authors are being screwed up big time.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

kode54

by kode54

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:17 am
charirider wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:22 am

Exactly. I bought a chain during the beginning of the pandemic and although the pictures online showed the same genuine package shot, what I got was a sub standard printed package/box with a counterfeit chain. Luckily, I could return it.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Sock3t

by Sock3t

jj911c2 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:07 am
I had the same issue purchasing cassettes on Amazon. It showed up w/o original packaging and I had poor shifting. I swapped it with same model from LBS and shifting was fixed which led me to believe the Amazon one was counterfit.
Thanks! This wasn't from amazon, but I will pay attention to the packaging.

I am well-versed with the fake chains and only buy from reputable shops on those. I think the cassette I might be OK but I still have buy protections.

MC356

by MC356

I ordered a Sram Red 22 chain from Amazon from a "Bicycle addiction" (large seller on reputable seller on Amazon) and when I got the chain it was clearly a cheap old 9 or 8 speed chain. This is the problem with Amazon orders, many people order a bike part or anything, get the package, take the real product out and replace it with an older or used or sometime complete different product and return it to Amazon using the "item no longer needed" or "found better price" and when Amazon recives the return they just restock it and the next person to buy it gets the fake or wrong itme.

So in theory you can order fake parts from China, buy the real ones off of Amazon, take the real parts out and replace it with the fake ones and send it back and no one at the Amazon is going to know or care. But you have to be a real pile of trash to do this. My friend has an Amazon store and he keep running into this problem with customers sending back broken or worng items and when he tell Amazon, Amazon says "consider it a bussines loss".

So this just may be the way from now on unless Amazon does something about it.
BMC TMR01
Niner Air 9 RDO

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

MC356 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:50 am
My friend has an Amazon store and he keep running into this problem with customers sending back broken or worng items and when he tell Amazon, Amazon says "consider it a bussines loss".

So this just may be the way from now on unless Amazon does something about it.
Yup. I work in reverse logistics (returns) for a major e-retailer. We have an entire section dedicated to "investigate" these returns. Some customers have done it dozens or hundred (!!!) of times, even using fake addresses, names, etc. Companies don't think it's worth it for the small cases, though, because it's expensive to investigate and pursue. So a large majority of these are just ignored. People return empty boxes, partial sets, or even put a can of tomatoes in the box to weigh it down.

Working in returns also has created a big distaste for people frivolously ordering and then returning items. There is a ton of material/product waste in the returns process, and only about 10-40% of the returned value is recovered, depending on the product class. The monetary cost is passed down to future customers. The environmental cost is never recovered. I wish more customers knew this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

charirider

by charirider

I have no issues with Amazon Japan. I buy only from real (that ondeed exist with physical address) stores, though. And I never buy from overseas with long shipping times!
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg