Fake cassettes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

charirider wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:06 am
I have no issues with Amazon Japan. I buy only from real (that ondeed exist with physical address) stores, though. And I never buy from overseas with long shipping times!

Like I said, Prime and Prime (Fulfilled by Amazon) used to be pretty trustworthy options here, but they have "streamlined" fulfillment to put everyone's product in the same bins. So if 9 trustworthy stores all put one DA cassette into an Amazon Warehouse and a disreputable seller adds a fake with a real UPC on the package, it gets thrown in the same pile/bin. When you ordere from one of the trustworthy sellers, you still have a 1-in-10 chance of getting the fake.

I don't know what the usual practice of Japanese Amazon buyers is, but sellers that merely listed their product on Amazon and shipped the product themselves were long considered less reliable than Prime. Now the sentiment is the opposite.

And yes, Amazon doesn't have the expertise to carefully audit bike parts returns. Malicious people abusing the returns system by returning used/broken parts wreak havoc on inventory. That stuff sometimes gets restocked as new. I once ordered beef jerky from Amazon and the container had clearly been opened (seal broken) with half the jerky missing. How it ever it went back into inventory is beyond me, but it's Amazon... Amazon sucks.

charirider

by charirider

Interesting. Thank you for the information, I will be careful with amazon from now on.
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

satanas

by satanas

Similar issues can arise with eBay and other aggregators; I will now only buy SD cards or similar from known, trusted sellers after being burnt with a very real looking fake. If it looks too good to be true, then it's likely it is.

FWIW, I've had issues with Amazon not disclosing international shipping charges until after the sale and with their obfuscation of which dollars prices were in, but (so far) no problems with Aliexpress. Caveat emptor.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Tons of fake Shimano L05a brake pads on eBay too

Sock3t

by Sock3t

Just to update all - cassette was real. Verified it with a known real cassette and it had 100% all of the same markings, look, fitment, packaging, etc.