Enve Melee

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:11 pm
This is why I like the Madone seatpost design. The wedge is on the post and it pushes out against the ST, putting it in tension rather than crushing it.

having a 2014 Madone, I agree this new design is nicer than the old one. (I've cracked the old one, despite using Trek's preset wrench)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spokenwords

by spokenwords

seatpost slipping every ride!? are you freaking kidding me? it shouldnt have even hit the market in my opinion.
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spokenwords wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:43 am
seatpost slipping every ride!? are you freaking kidding me? it shouldnt have even hit the market in my opinion.
Individual examples sometimes fall outside of tolerances. It’s possible his seatpost is undersized, his seattube bore at the clamp is oversized or both. I have a 31.6in ENVE seatpost that has to be jammed into my bike’s seattube while the Bontrager post has a much better fit.

Another possibility is that the clamp hasn’t been torqued to spec (user error, inaccurate torque wrench/driver, etc.)

We’d need more than one account of this.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Seatposts tend to be like BBs. It may creak it may slip (why do you need compound for a BB and seatpost). Both concerns tolerances!
Quality!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

pmprego

by pmprego

On this thread, there is a one to one in terms of feedback. 2 data points do not make any type of conclusion possible. Online I haven't seen anyone mentioning such a issue.

spokenwords

by spokenwords

It sounded like there was more than one example of the slipping posts. Considering the very low number of examples out in the wild it is a very concerning issue to me. Why do we continue to accept issues from products that are marketed as being amongst the best you can spend your hard earned money on? Marketing is beating quality and its a problem that seems to be accepted more and more.
Maybe/probably I am pissed more about the bigger problem and this thread brought it out of me. Ive been in and around the bike industry for most of my life and have plenty of experience with tolerance issues. I just expect more from a quality company selling an expensive frame. I will stay out of it from here. Im probably just old and grumpy.
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

pmprego

by pmprego

spokenwords wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:58 pm
It sounded like there was more than one example of the slipping posts. Considering the very low number of examples out in the wild it is a very concerning issue to me. Why do we continue to accept issues from products that are marketed as being amongst the best you can spend your hard earned money on? Marketing is beating quality and its a problem that seems to be accepted more and more.
Maybe/probably I am pissed more about the bigger problem and this thread brought it out of me. Ive been in and around the bike industry for most of my life and have plenty of experience with tolerance issues. I just expect more from a quality company selling an expensive frame. I will stay out of it from here. Im probably just old and grumpy.
Quoting Tobin just for a couple of examples:
"Another possibility is that the clamp hasn’t been torqued to spec (user error, inaccurate torque wrench/driver, etc.)

We’d need more than one account of this."

Besides, let's say there is a 0.01% (1 in 10.000) that the seatpost is just that slightly thinner than the frame and by incredible chance that 1 in 10.000 just happened. Without more cases happening you can really not now for sure. No matter what you say, you can not know for sure.

But even that 1 in 10.000 let's say the person just doesn't care and never contact manufacturer that would be 100% willing to replace it for free. Then, the amplification gets even worse. People should really pull the brakes when they just start to complain even when no one really knows what's happening. And now I'll stop my rant here.

Femboy

by Femboy

jayjay wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:01 am
What do you think about the new Enve Melee?
https://www.enve.com/lp-melee/

If I would need a new roadbike I would definitely consider this frame set because it ticks so many boxes :)
Enve has always had just ok tolerances and build quality and below mediocre aerodynamics
They cost a *f##k* ton
But the paint is pretty ight
I'd recommend a winspace bike and get it custom painted if you want

Femboy

by Femboy

ghisallo2003 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:06 pm
And threaded BB, so an attractive proposition.
Threaded is still pressfit
Pressfit should be better if frame companies could just make them to tolerance

morrisond

by morrisond

Is it US only or is it available in Canada? Anyone know any Canadian retailers who are carrying it?

LouisN

by LouisN

Velo Cartel in Québec city showed the bike last week (ENve is distributed by OTE in Québec City,Qc.).
Cartel is selling many high end brands bikes, BMC, Parlee, Aurum, Factor, and Enve among others from memory :

https://velocartel.cc/blogs/blogue/velo-melee-enve

Louis :)

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Femboy wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:30 pm
jayjay wrote:

If I would need a new roadbike I would definitely consider this frame set because it ticks so many boxes :)
Enve has always had just ok tolerances and build quality and below mediocre aerodynamics
They cost a *f##k* ton
Lol what? ENVE SES has been #1/#2 in pretty much every 3rd party test I've seen.

pmprego

by pmprego

BigBoyND wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:53 am
Femboy wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:30 pm
jayjay wrote:

They cost a *f##k* ton
Lol what? ENVE SES has been #1/#2 in pretty much every 3rd party test I've seen.
Don't bother. Just go chinese. Everyone knows is much better. Who needs support anyways. Screw it, go chinese! Free lunches everybody!!

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Looks very generic but I like it.
Most Enve stuff is out of my price range but anything I've had the opportunity to ride, including the old Edge Composites stuff has been very good.

If I had the money I'd definitely consider it.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

This model isn't made in the USA. It's just the custom version (if it matters to whom ever wish to buy it)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com